No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +8.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » 1.7 Layouts: Where we are
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
 Author 1.7 Layouts: Where we are
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-09-11 02:15   
Quote:
On 2013-09-10 15:16, Sheraton *XO* wrote:

6 phoenix missiles will destroy a ship that is destroyer or below now. I hardly think you need any more incentive or help than that.

-Sheraton

Yes yes, this is assuming that the 6 hit kill missiles get a severe tracking nerf, and that a new 'interceptor' missile is added.
So then we'd have 3 missile types
Heavy missile (Highest damage, medium range, 250 minimum range, very high energy cost)
Light missile (Half damage, long range, 250 minimum range, very low energy cost)
Interceptor missile (Low damage, long range, 500 minimum range, medium energy cost)

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-09-11 04:34   
I seriously think some of you are going overboard with the "little ship" protectionism.

You want them to be hard... maybe impossible to hit. And you also don't want POWERFUL weapons to one shot them when they do connect. Maybe we should let scouts be CM ships, huh?

On a more serious note. The missile damage do NOT need to be tweaked. If 6 Phoenix missile instagibs a dessie, then so be it. Just tweak the missile's turn rate so that a dessie pilot can simply outturn it.

However, if a dessie pilot is inattentive or crap-tastic enough to let a missile with the turn radius of Jupiter actually hit him, then he should die horribly in a one-shot fireball. He deserves it.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2013-09-11 04:36 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-09-11 04:39   
Quote:
On 2013-09-10 12:59, Jim Starluck wrote:
Perhaps they need some kind of maintained target lock, or are more accurate against higher-signature objects than low-sig ones.

I'll have to throw some ideas around with the other devs on this one.

This is actually not a bad idea.

Active homers vs Semi-active homers.
Think of the AIM-7 Sparrow vs the AMRAAM.

Let the semi-actives be heavy hitters. So the firer actually has to maintain target lock. If the target gets out of range or ECMs himself enough to break track, the missiles lose lock and go into draw-circles-in-space-like-a-moron mode.....

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2013-09-11 04:39 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-09-11 07:47   
Perhaps missile ships could be re-purposed and rebalanced to be simply long range support ships, and not specifically anti 2x higher ships.

Give them several different missile types, ranging from very heavy and slow missiles that can barely track a dread, to ultra light missiles which could hit a scout or frigate.

This I fear might make them too much like carriers, with the main difference of missiles being weak to pulse beams, and fighters being weak to extended beams.

Maybe some negative falloff on missiles could help, so they do low damage at close range, and maximum damage out in its intended area of use. (You can justify this seemingly impossible thing with tracking computers needing time to seek out the best weak spot on their target, so when shot at close range they do low damage because they had no time to acquire the target properly or something )

Just tossing around ideas here, don't eat me alive.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-09-11 07:59 ]

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-09-11 09:49   
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 04:34, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
I seriously think some of you are going overboard with the "little ship" protectionism.

You want them to be hard... maybe impossible to hit. And you also don't want POWERFUL weapons to one shot them when they do connect. Maybe we should let scouts be CM ships, huh?

On a more serious note. The missile damage do NOT need to be tweaked. If 6 Phoenix missile instagibs a dessie, then so be it. Just tweak the missile's turn rate so that a dessie pilot can simply outturn it.

However, if a dessie pilot is inattentive or crap-tastic enough to let a missile with the turn radius of Jupiter actually hit him, then he should die horribly in a one-shot fireball. He deserves it.

[ This Message was edited by: Sheraton *XO* on 2013-09-11 15:02 ]

I could easily live with that. Also if we want to just use ECM boats to hide the destroyers/frigates from the missiles that is an equally viable option in 1.7 now. Especially around planets. I find that the ECM cloaks not only the ships but also the fighters and missiles, so in essence it's not hard to create an invisible storm of missiles coming at a group of people within about 750-1k of the planet. This strategy could be applied in particular to the tier 3 Rapad assault destroyer and the tier 3 strike cruiser.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-09-11 12:00   
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 09:49, Sheraton *XO* wrote:

I could easily live with that. Also if we want to just use ECM boats to hide the destroyers/frigates from the missiles that is an equally viable option in 1.7 now. Especially around planets. I find that the ECM cloaks not only the ships but also the fighters and missiles, so in essence it's not hard to create an invisible storm of missiles coming at a group of people within about 750-1k of the planet. This strategy could be applied in paritcular to the tier 3 Rapad assault destroyer and the tier 3 strike cruiser.

-Sheraton

That's an interesting strategy. Grab a scout/frigate loaded with ECM and loiter in the target area, masking your missiles from enemy PD.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-09-11 12:47   
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 12:00, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 09:49, Sheraton *XO* wrote:

I could easily live with that. Also if we want to just use ECM boats to hide the destroyers/frigates from the missiles that is an equally viable option in 1.7 now. Especially around planets. I find that the ECM cloaks not only the ships but also the fighters and missiles, so in essence it's not hard to create an invisible storm of missiles coming at a group of people within about 750-1k of the planet. This strategy could be applied in paritcular to the tier 3 Rapad assault destroyer and the tier 3 strike cruiser.

-Sheraton

That's an interesting strategy. Grab a scout/frigate loaded with ECM and loiter in the target area, masking your missiles from enemy PD.

Longwave ECM would work best for this, so you didn't have to get quite as close.

Email Jim Starluck
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-09-11 16:46   
Sorry for asking stupid question, but how to use longwave ECM to hide missle & fighter?
I can imagine normal ECM: using a ship flying between. But since longwave ECM requires a target, I have no idea.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-09-11 17:33   
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 16:46, DiepLuc wrote:
Sorry for asking stupid question, but how to use longwave ECM to hide missle & fighter?
I can imagine normal ECM: using a ship flying between. But since longwave ECM requires a target, I have no idea.

You're thinking of Narrowband.

Longwave is the same base type as normal ECM, with a weaker signal strength (1.5 instead of 3) and a 50% greater AoE.

Email Jim Starluck
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-09-11 18:10   
So these LS/BS/Nest ought to be titan with the help of e-war ship.
I guess tier II ewar-missle with longwave will be favor in 1.7.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-09-11 18:15   
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 18:10, DiepLuc wrote:
So these LS/BS/Nest ought to be titan with the help of e-war ship.
I guess tier II ewar-missle with longwave will be favor in 1.7.

only if someone wants to do the mundane task of hiding the missiles. I am just throwing out the obvious strategies that could be employed with the new Ewar mechanics.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-09-11 22:37   
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 18:15, Sheraton *XO* wrote:
only if someone wants to do the mundane task of hiding the missiles. I am just throwing out the obvious strategies that could be employed with the new Ewar mechanics.

-Sheraton

Same conundrum with running dictors, scouts and supps. But someone will eventually get around to doing it once they realize that they need it to beat the enemy.

You'll know then who the real teamplayers are.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-09-12 09:21   
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 22:37, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 18:15, Sheraton *XO* wrote:

-Sheraton

Same conundrum with running dictors, scouts and supps. But someone will eventually get around to doing it once they realize that they need it to beat the enemy.

You'll know then who the real teamplayers are.

It's not even really need, its just an option - and there's lots of nasty little combinations. You can bring a lot of force with just two people now, way more than you ever could before. No, you don't have to get someone in an ECM scout, but I bet there is a.) someone willing to take the group prestige for it and b.) someone who enjoys using combos like that.

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2013-09-12 09:45 ]

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-09-26 15:46   
Bumping the thread since the rest of the UGTO T2 dreadnoughts are in beta now.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Null Pointer
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-09-26 19:18   
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 15:46, Lobby Sergeant at Arms Walrus wrote:
Bumping the thread since the rest of the UGTO T2 dreadnoughts are in beta now.

[ This Message was edited by: Null Pointer on 2013-09-26 19:18 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Page created in 0.041409 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR