No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New double the pres lost
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author New double the pres lost
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-04-05 00:04   
The logs say:

Quote:

- Due to popular request, death cost has been doubled for all ships across the board (except ships that have no resource cost).

So which ships have no resource cost? Scouts? Frigs? Supps? Engis? Trannies?

If Az is worried about newbies losing pres, a small adjustment could be made that would make dessies or frigs and below not be affected by the new increased pres loss.

By the time you're flying a cruiser (mebbe even a dessie), you should have learned enough to know how not to die needlessly. You're no longer a noob.

So the argument that pres loss drives away new players is invalid. Well, more so if it made sure that the noob ship classes are exempted from the increased pres loss.

But if you can fly a dread or station, and are whinging about losing more because of your kamikaze playstyle.... then maybe you do need a break from DS. LOL

Play on!

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-04-05 00:13 ]

CBR{DTB}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-05 00:46   
haha ray nice speech man , but i think that you should be more carefull when going into evemy territory with a station , i only go in a stat if im in a group of people who are also going in stats , A.K.A Station Spam . Otherwise being the ONLY large and slow target is a bad idead.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-04-05 01:00   

Quote:

The more the smaller ships are tweaked to accomodate the veterans who know how to use them, the more insane they are for a new player to get the hang of. You can start a new character if you want to, and start all over again. You will say, I don't see a problem. That's right, you don't. You really can't forget how to use the ship, can you? The newer players don't have that going for them, and it is a lot to ask for somebody to come in and learn to fly those weak pea shooters under those circumstances, and at that with a lowered pres gain. I'm not saying it is impossible now to do, I am asking, however, how fun is it for the person trying?

Gonna say this. Take away weaps levelling, and the newbs in the little ships have more of a fighting chance.

Mr Grim(2.0)
2nd Rear Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-04-05 01:19   
Quote:

On 2011-04-04 23:14, Azreal wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-04-04 07:38, JBud wrote:
LOL! This coming from someone with 500k prestige. I believe you are just angry you didn't get to 1 million before the change.

Prestige gain is so much more ridiculous than that, too. you gain 130 prestige for killing a mere cruiser. I think you need to do your homework before making wild assumptions.

And Geja is right, this is a bit early to do a headcount. (5-9am on a monday) people are at work and school. derp.

1. I have never complained about the pres gain people got. I have never seen more fighting in the mv than I have over the last year, and I relate it to less fear over pres lost. I like it, as this is supposed to be a PvP game.

2. I earned my pres over 7 years, and not by farming. I have never been known to farm anything other than enhancements. Even then, I generally only went after the elites, and not the other ai.

3. I think I'm #2 or #3 in deaths now. That wouldnt change if I was still playing. I never cared before, I wouldn't start now. I'm not exactly known for jumping out of a fight. For the last year, I get in an engagement, I'm there till I kill, I die, or the other guy runs off. This has nothing to do with me.

4. My fear is that NEW players (the life blood of ANY AND EVERY GAME) will most likely be turned off.

5. The number I said (whatever it was 6 people in mv) I didnt give a headcount. It was a flashback to .483 days. That's a time when many of the people who now populate the top lists (and a few of those in this thread) were simply not there for. In those days, I could log in at PEAK times and find under ten people in the game. I am always looking at the number of new players that come in and stay. Always.

6. DS is not the same game as before. AI, enhancements, lack of effective modding, changes to cloak, addition of core weapons, changes to planet cap system, new armor types, changes to EW, complete revamping of almost every ship.....I guess what I fail to understand is that of all the things that have changed on DS, its the pres loss/gain that is the sacred cow. Well, that and R33, but that's a different story altogether. DS still has punishment too central to the game.

7. Dying now, even with the higher pres still wont have the same effect as what ya'll think it will because in those days (482ish and under) one of the main reasons you didn't want to die had zilch to do with your pres loss. It was ship loss. You lost your ship, it was dead. Gone. Adios muchachos. Why was that a big deal? OTHER FACTION TECH MODS. I know I had a mirv clav for MONTHS. CL2K Claw anyone? Faced plenty of human carriers shooting Larvs at me as well. All of us who played then can probably think of a few of those ships they had. And? Lose the ship, lose the mods, and no enemy sp/factory planets meant that you flew stock - anethema to any veteran startduster.

8. DS still has punishment too central to the game. I have played so many games I can't hope to remember even half of them, and I can think of no other that has had negativity so common to every aspect of the game. I understand the need to challenge a player, but if every time a person goes into a fight he is worried about every single tap to his shields or/and armor causing him a negative blow, than it becomes the opposite of fun.

9. Basically, I'm looking at the little guy. Stevey or Flash, both new players by DS standards, were rewarded for playing a lot and not leaving the game. They got their pres climb. However, I did see new players still complaining about getting pres as late as two weeks ago. The more the smaller ships are tweaked to accomodate the veterans who know how to use them, the more insane they are for a new player to get the hang of. You can start a new character if you want to, and start all over again. You will say, I don't see a problem. That's right, you don't. You really can't forget how to use the ship, can you? The newer players don't have that going for them, and it is a lot to ask for somebody to come in and learn to fly those weak pea shooters under those circumstances, and at that with a lowered pres gain. I'm not saying it is impossible now to do, I am asking, however, how fun is it for the person trying?

sorry long post. Not trying to ruffle feathers, I'm just playing newbie advocate.

I have to agree with everything azz has said and for all those tryin to make him seem like the bad guy in this post he aint.. He's just tryin to think about the new guys around here even though there isnt many... Props to u Az

Grim.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-05 02:37   
Quote:

On 2011-04-05 01:19, Mr Grim(2.0) wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-04-04 23:14, Azreal wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-04-04 07:38, JBud wrote:
LOL! This coming from someone with 500k prestige. I believe you are just angry you didn't get to 1 million before the change.

Prestige gain is so much more ridiculous than that, too. you gain 130 prestige for killing a mere cruiser. I think you need to do your homework before making wild assumptions.

And Geja is right, this is a bit early to do a headcount. (5-9am on a monday) people are at work and school. derp.

1. I have never complained about the pres gain people got. I have never seen more fighting in the mv than I have over the last year, and I relate it to less fear over pres lost. I like it, as this is supposed to be a PvP game.

2. I earned my pres over 7 years, and not by farming. I have never been known to farm anything other than enhancements. Even then, I generally only went after the elites, and not the other ai.

3. I think I'm #2 or #3 in deaths now. That wouldnt change if I was still playing. I never cared before, I wouldn't start now. I'm not exactly known for jumping out of a fight. For the last year, I get in an engagement, I'm there till I kill, I die, or the other guy runs off. This has nothing to do with me.

4. My fear is that NEW players (the life blood of ANY AND EVERY GAME) will most likely be turned off.

5. The number I said (whatever it was 6 people in mv) I didnt give a headcount. It was a flashback to .483 days. That's a time when many of the people who now populate the top lists (and a few of those in this thread) were simply not there for. In those days, I could log in at PEAK times and find under ten people in the game. I am always looking at the number of new players that come in and stay. Always.

6. DS is not the same game as before. AI, enhancements, lack of effective modding, changes to cloak, addition of core weapons, changes to planet cap system, new armor types, changes to EW, complete revamping of almost every ship.....I guess what I fail to understand is that of all the things that have changed on DS, its the pres loss/gain that is the sacred cow. Well, that and R33, but that's a different story altogether. DS still has punishment too central to the game.

7. Dying now, even with the higher pres still wont have the same effect as what ya'll think it will because in those days (482ish and under) one of the main reasons you didn't want to die had zilch to do with your pres loss. It was ship loss. You lost your ship, it was dead. Gone. Adios muchachos. Why was that a big deal? OTHER FACTION TECH MODS. I know I had a mirv clav for MONTHS. CL2K Claw anyone? Faced plenty of human carriers shooting Larvs at me as well. All of us who played then can probably think of a few of those ships they had. And? Lose the ship, lose the mods, and no enemy sp/factory planets meant that you flew stock - anethema to any veteran startduster.

8. DS still has punishment too central to the game. I have played so many games I can't hope to remember even half of them, and I can think of no other that has had negativity so common to every aspect of the game. I understand the need to challenge a player, but if every time a person goes into a fight he is worried about every single tap to his shields or/and armor causing him a negative blow, than it becomes the opposite of fun.

9. Basically, I'm looking at the little guy. Stevey or Flash, both new players by DS standards, were rewarded for playing a lot and not leaving the game. They got their pres climb. However, I did see new players still complaining about getting pres as late as two weeks ago. The more the smaller ships are tweaked to accomodate the veterans who know how to use them, the more insane they are for a new player to get the hang of. You can start a new character if you want to, and start all over again. You will say, I don't see a problem. That's right, you don't. You really can't forget how to use the ship, can you? The newer players don't have that going for them, and it is a lot to ask for somebody to come in and learn to fly those weak pea shooters under those circumstances, and at that with a lowered pres gain. I'm not saying it is impossible now to do, I am asking, however, how fun is it for the person trying?

sorry long post. Not trying to ruffle feathers, I'm just playing newbie advocate.

I have to agree with everything azz has said and for all those tryin to make him seem like the bad guy in this post he aint.. He's just tryin to think about the new guys around here even though there isnt many... Props to u Az

Grim.

Again, prestige loss is based on rank, if you have a low rank, you will lose a low amount of prestige. If you have a high rank, you lose more. This means the new guys will not lose as much, so there is nothing to worry about.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-04-05 07:40   
I agree with everything az has to say.

Email -Shadowalker-™
Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-04-05 08:17   
In my opinion most see it only in two ways, either give away heck of amount of prestige like it has been, and the other want to nerf it to hell and back.

The way is to find the middle thing, you want an game that will give rewards and going forward. But the game also needs the challenge. So far the challenge been lost in matter of prestige.

Az said that good player will rank up fast if they start a new profile, this is true and is infact just how it should be.
New players however should use some time to getting the hang of the ship before moving forward. This haven't been this far.

I think its a good thing they starting to make death actually be worth something, me myself have been jumping in to battle without even caring, because i know when its finished i will earn alot of prestige no matter the outcome.

And with everything, those that adapt to the new playstyle, will still get tons of prestige. And as so many have stated before, you lose more pres per rank u got.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-04-05 09:13   
All ships you can spawn from a spawn gate cost zero resources, and don't cost anything to die in as a result. So new players will not be penalised by this. Also, as others have mentioned, rank also plays a factor in prestige cost of a ship, so lower ranks won't be hit so hard even if they do pull out a new ship that costs relatively low resources anyway.

All is good!

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-05 09:21   
Az, you raise a few good points, but some of them are a bit tricky.

See, this change affects new players the least, as a first rule of thumb. Pres loss scales with rank, to the point that at CM a good 20% or more is tacked on top of the regular amount.

The second thing I want to point out is .480. If you've been here that long, and that means you've been here as long as me, I will attempt to illustrate the point without being too nostalgic.

You have to understand. Back then, the game was pay to play, flat out. The only free things you got were at midshipman, and you couldn't even fly in the MV without a subscription.

At peak times, we hit 60 or 70 players. Its funny to think that back then, we thought that was a truly small number. Irony indeed.

However, we also have to remember an important fact of that time. Prestige gain/loss wasn't just lower, it was much lower. You did not need a high prestige loss becuase you did not have a high prestige gain. You could spend months just getting to 1RA. It was that slow.

You might wonder why I point this is out and its quite simple really - new players are not deterred by slow progress. And thats what it was, it was the fact that you could gain enough prestige in a day and lose it in a minute if you were careless. It deterred no one. It was the challenge that made it worthwhile.

Fast forward now, and we had a bit of a problem. I don't have a problem with high gain rates, and infact I think it should be encouraged - especially with bigger ships. Big ships should be able to just rake in that prestige. But... we had a bit of an issue. The only issue I really had anyways, anything that happened on top of that was icing on the cake.

The issue was, death didn't matter. You can talk about fun all you want, but this is a PvP game, and not PvP counterstrike, its PvP EvE. That means when you die, it matters. You don't just respawn. Its supposed to matter because its part of the balance of the game. A player who dies should be a death that stings more than just your pride. If you have any.

And it was mattering. That was the issue, you could jump in, spam spacebar, and lo' at the end if you did not come out on top even if you died. If you didn't die (and thats not hard to do if you bother to hit e-jump) you were even further ahead. Gaining 10k prestige in five hours is obscene.

There has to be a balance somewhere. Death has to matter at least a little. Not too harsh, but not too soft. I think this alone has gone a long way. Personally I was just advocating a resource loss spike for bigger ships because I didn't want newer players to be turned off to such harsh punishments. But maybe it will be better this way anyways. Progress must be slowed.

You may ask why, and I will tell you: Things matter more the harder you work for them. This is a universal truth if you've every played a singleplayer game and used a cheat to get everything, and then turned around and started over and worked the long way up. Which felt better? Which made your accomplishments feel more worthwhile? The psychology of a game is important. A person feels a greater respect for their rank and their ship if they know they worked for it.

You should know, you brought up modding as an excellent example. Getting those cross-faction techs was hard, you had to capture a planet with cross faction factories and hoped to god they didn't scrap. Then you had to build it, and wait for it, and all that fun stuff. It was alot of work, and for people who loved to tweak their ships lovingly with that much time invested, it mattered the world to them.

And thats the important bit - people defended those worlds viciciously and losing one of those ships hurt to the core. We can't bring that model back for various reasons (you should remember just how overpowered CL2k Claws were), but we have to bring back some kind of significant punishment. There are so many bones thrown to new players now that when I first started, its like handing candy to a baby.

What do new players have? They have shipyards. Back then, you had to start from your home gate and travel from gate to gate to gate and if you died you started back at home. I wouldn't mind some kind of system bringing this back. Killing someone doesn't matter if they can just respawn right there.

You have wormholes, which aren't as powerful as they used to be, but still a worthy device.

You have ships that when they die, you just get it sent back to the garage. You didn't get that luxury back then. Imagine all your Advanced enhancements gone... there would a riot.

See, new players have a it made, if you put it in perspective. Prestige loss for smaller ships anyways was incredibly low, and its still fairly low. It will slow down progression more, but thats a good thing. Because what DS needs the most right now is a change in perspective. No quick ways to the top. No easy rides. Because I remember that the days that people had the most fun were the ones where they were challenged the hardest. That makes a good game miles more than one that hands it all to you.

Its for the better, in the end.

-Ent

SaturnShadow™ *FC*(Angel Of Darkness)
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-04-05 11:13   
now i would be voting to bring back the .483 modding back ie being able to mod your ship (lets say Torp Crusier) with AM torps AMJD AMES and a mix of Psi and particle cannons plus 1 or 2 Pulse beams.

now if you did that id be over the moon but in return I would like to have the old 483 way of losing the ship if you died it was gone no 5% ship left in the Shipyard just if it was modded it was gone thats it you would have to start from scratch

atm i go into cobat and everyone who knows me will jump in get killed spawn a new ship and then jump in again (process repeats untill all ships are 5% hull then repair) 483 i would choose my battles more carefully (apart from when i was letting my hair down and went assault corvetting)

i know for one fact that if them 2 things came back 483 modding and loss of ship (with the addition of the enhancements) i would be MORE CAREFUL WHEN jumping into battle (plus as an added bonus if you lose your adv enhancements and kept buying them eventually you would have to buy more creds

anyway thats my 2 cents/pence

right now for some very odd reason i'm begging you to bring them back PLEASE

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-05 11:22   
.483 ship modding would be awesome from what i've heard from what other's have said

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-04-05 11:32   
It's never coming back, stay on topic please.

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-05 13:38   
ok this whole noobie not gaining press thing is so not true. think it was yesterday or the day before a new player i mean brand new to the game just started like 4 hours before i got on mr grimm was with me ask him. he was actully complain that it was to easy to gain pres on the game AND HIS NEW so this whole scarying newbie away cause or pres lost is just a stupid idea and away to try to keep the dev from nerfing the pres lost and gain ratio. i think it fine and i am glad the dev finally did something to the pres. it been needing something to lower the gain down.

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-05 16:15   
Quote:

On 2011-04-05 11:13, SaturnShadow™ *FC*(Angel Of Darkness) wrote:
now i would be voting to bring back the .483 modding back ie being able to mod your ship (lets say Torp Crusier) with AM torps AMJD AMES and a mix of Psi and particle cannons plus 1 or 2 Pulse beams.

now if you did that id be over the moon but in return I would like to have the old 483 way of losing the ship if you died it was gone no 5% ship left in the Shipyard just if it was modded it was gone thats it you would have to start from scratch

atm i go into cobat and everyone who knows me will jump in get killed spawn a new ship and then jump in again (process repeats untill all ships are 5% hull then repair) 483 i would choose my battles more carefully (apart from when i was letting my hair down and went assault corvetting)

i know for one fact that if them 2 things came back 483 modding and loss of ship (with the addition of the enhancements) i would be MORE CAREFUL WHEN jumping into battle (plus as an added bonus if you lose your adv enhancements and kept buying them eventually you would have to buy more creds

anyway thats my 2 cents/pence

right now for some very odd reason i'm begging you to bring them back PLEASE

As someone who bougt all thier credits I have this to say: No.

More than once I've been ganked by multiple K'luth dreads and nearly insta killed. Once they even had the guts to pull a dictor, despite me being the only one on ICC, and them having 4 dreads AND the dictor.

Also why I have no respect for any K'luth that complains (Or thinks they don't have it easy. They do ) .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-05 16:54   
Quote:

On 2011-04-05 09:13, BackSlash wrote:
All ships you can spawn from a spawn gate cost zero resources, and don't cost anything to die in as a result. So new players will not be penalised by this. Also, as others have mentioned, rank also plays a factor in prestige cost of a ship, so lower ranks won't be hit so hard even if they do pull out a new ship that costs relatively low resources anyway.

All is good!

Understood, and it seems well. True enough I had not factored in the now nill cost of a gate pullable ship.

And for the record, I am NOT trying to get the mod system pot stirred, simply used it as a prime example to make a point is all.

Sorry I am the worst at not sounding crappy at times, I have to make it a rule to never post before 7 am and a pot of coffee.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021087 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR