No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » This game is a baby eater.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
 Author This game is a baby eater.
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-12 11:38   
Baby eaters only eat babies......

need I say more, really?

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 11:41   
Except you need to be admiral and above to even compete in this game. Bottom line only having the option to take pot shots for pres is lame. New players should have some level of effectiveness and I just don't see it. Yes staying out of beam range is a no brainer, but all that dread needs to do is jump on top of you and you're either toast or fleeing. Not only that but I've sat and took pot shots at a station for what seemed 30min and I never took him below 95% armor haha.

Anyway, having a PVP centric game being in such a high favor of vets discourages new players and I think it shows just in how much the game has shrank over the years.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 11:54   
Wow, if only their was some kind of zone in the Metaverse that was rank capped to support new players. It might even be placed next to the PvE area to facilitate more prestige gain for them once they hit the cap on that zone as well!

Gosh Gee Willickers, I hope the developers think of this soon!

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:01   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 03:04, Bombg wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 02:31, Maroc wrote:

Yea i agree. I ranked up in Sag even there was flying Dreads and stations who were shooting at me. Actually it was kind of fun to fight a station or dread when using ships like destroyers. Personaly sometimes i like chalanges like that. In my opinion if sag is too dangerous for newbies they should go to scenario or rank limited servers or if they like a challange stay in sag.

Oh there's nothing wrong with a challenge, but taking on a station in a destroyer is like throwing rocks at a tank. Not only is fight not in your favor (which is expected ), but there is literally no chance of you ever even hurting a station or dread unless they go afk for 5 minutes.
[ This Message was edited by: Bombg on 2010-11-12 03:05 ]

sorry but if i fended off an ICC station and actually was killing it with a gunboat destroyer (was during the time of seperate MV and ICC's notorious bypass-sag-and-hit-lacerta-because-we-are-too-noobish-to-go-through-sag tricks), probably many newbs could once taught. Reinforcements did come, but i could have soloed it if i want.
the problem is newbies no nothing of how to use the ships. For one they almost always fly in a straight line at you. Second they don't know when to speed up or slow down in a dog fight. Third the have bad ideas about weapon arcs, i have seen many an assault destroyer broadsiding when not needed. Lastly, they don't know how to manage energy, so when the first energy hungry ship gets them, they are stuck with no energy.

Luckily for me, i read A LOT of guides on the forums before playing, so i got the never fly in straight line and weapon arcs. Like most newbs i didn't know how to manage energy and my first encounter with a station was to blatantly circle (not staying in straight line ) 200 gu away from a luth station (not so good ).

Like others said scen is the perfect place for newbs, in fact i learned most of the game basics in there, i came to sag to try to learn more about mass ship combat.

Problem: newbies are "eaten"
Solution: This is a quake based game, so there is a real skill learning curve, boost them along the curve by teaching them, if they truly learned and are dedicated to this game they will shine.

Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:02   
you mean the place that is a ghost town? PVP is where this game is at. If I want to PVE I'll play a different game that actually was designed with that in mind.

What is there to learn that's skill based other than "don't stand in the big ship's beam range"? and yes slowing down lowers your turn radius.
[ This Message was edited by: Bombg on 2010-11-12 12:08 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:05   
Game Developers design area that is new player friendly and specifically built to help new players level up; where experienced players can't feast upon those who have no idea what they're doing

New players never use that area and then complain that it's hard to play against experienced players

Game Developers bang head on desk repeatedly

edit: I'm not speaking of Rogen's Rift. Theirs another zone right next to it
[ This Message was edited by: Fattierob on 2010-11-12 12:06 ]

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:07   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 11:41, Bombg wrote:
Except you need to be admiral and above to even compete in this game. Bottom line only having the option to take pot shots for pres is lame. New players should have some level of effectiveness and I just don't see it. Yes staying out of beam range is a no brainer, but all that dread needs to do is jump on top of you and you're either toast or fleeing. Not only that but I've sat and took pot shots at a station for what seemed 30min and I never took him below 95% armor haha.

Anyway, having a PVP centric game being in such a high favor of vets discourages new players and I think it shows just in how much the game has shrank over the years.

Dessie vs Station 1 on 1 dessie can win. will take time, and for icc some ammo reloading, but you can win. The Ticks actually used scouts effectively, I'd say if they used frigates or destroyers too they would have been even more effective. (btw where are the ticks? dead?)
Conclusion: You don't need to be above admiral, you need to have Skill.

Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:11   
I think most of you grossly over estimate how much skill helps when it comes to small ships vs large.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:13   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 12:11, Bombg wrote:
I think most of you grossly over estimate how much skill helps when it comes to small ships vs large.

wanna try me?

Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:16   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 12:13, SpaceAdmiral wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 12:11, Bombg wrote:

wanna try me?

I don't have a dread or above so there's no real way I can fulfill your request.

Balancept
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:28   
I will admit that I haven't played long, just over a month actually, and while I have achieved the abiliy to pull out dreads or a station, depending on the situation i will take out a scout, and laugh as I go against a fleet of dreads and stations, then some run away. The type of ship doesn't matter in a fight, just how well you can use it.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:37   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 11:38, Azreal wrote:
Baby eaters only eat babies......

need I say more, really?

sparky43
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:40   
I havent been playing for a week and I have a missile cruiser already. I guess i fit into the "baby" category. Anyone who wants to "eat" me can come and try me. I'll plink that dread with my assault destroyer. I might not kill you, but you WILL be hanging out by a supply depot for a while.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:58   
Personally, as a player who has never reallyed like flying dreadnaughts or stations, I can say for certain that so long as you are a competent pilot, and know how to dodge occasionally, anything can kill anything.

Albiet, some ships, for example, stations, can repair any damage you do and laugh at you while you waste your ammunition, most of the time you wont have that problem. Play it smart, stay at range, take pot shots at them from a distance and laugh as they cant catch up, or worse, attempt to jump you. In which case, congratz, you have a free kill.

I will agree, this game is far too geared to end game now compared to the earlier patches, and yes, it is difficult, but it requires patience and a willingness to adapt to a situation. Sadly, this is a trait many people don't have.

Basicly, don't give up, just don't get close to the big bad mean ship.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-12 13:39   
There are some pretty old vets in here giving tips. There are some new players saying THEY aren't faced with this infant-devouring issue that you are, yet I see that no matter what, you have no answer besides a negative one.

perhaps you aren't sure of how the flow of the game works. Perhaps you do not understand, that if you are after this elusive rank, then you can supply, build (mostly in scen), scout, and do some standoff combat until you finally reach the rank of whatever you are after.

The hardest thing to get is going to actually be combat pres at the lower ranks. Scenario makes bombing, capping, building easier to achieve. The MV offers a better chance for supply points. Both offer basically the same chance for ship captures.

Combat is probably easier to achieve at the beginning in the newbie section of the server, or in the scens. The issue isn't the dreads, unless you are just a moron. It's lower level targets to attack and begin hitting hull on. You have more lower level ai in scen than in the mv, which translates into a safer combat experience.

BTW. In case you didn't know, you get more points for hull hits than anything. And kills only matter for a counter, they don't REALLY mean anything except for a few badges needed for higher ships. You get them as you go. No need to grind for them.

Want more points out of combat? Checklist:

Watch signature. Use ecm when you can.

Use standoff ships vs higher level ships, and go for DOT rather than DPS.

Use point jumps and alphas vs smaller opponents to break to hull faster.
Stay on red armor if at all possible.

Avoid your own weapon splash, This not only damages you, but adds to FF and res lost. Remember, you need the points.

Unless you have good ecm cover, as a supply, stay the hell out of combat until you really know how to fly it. Sups are always a prime target.

Your jump drive is faster than a dreads. You can track them, or flee them, and riddle them before they can recharge and jump again. If you get point jumped, ejump for a sec and cancel, turn and fire.

Know which ships are best for each class in each faction. This really matters at cruiser.

Don't engage in PvP until you have spent at least 24 hours in a ship. That's 24 GAME TIME> you don't learn a ship's capabilities down to second nature for a while.

Yeah yeah. Don't let these nubs fool you. When they got their first AC, TC and Scales they got their ships turned to slag too.

Learn your ship to the point where you dont THINK about what weapons you have. You simply USE them. You don't Worry or even check your energy level. You know "I have fired xxx full alphas, and I know I need to jump/cloak/use MKII battery soon".

How much of this you know I dunno. I'm throwing it out for nubs willing to try ffs. I hope you are one, that's all.

And I would take on any ship here vs any ship here, and after a few tries (have to calibrate rusty skills) I could probably win in a battle over time.

This game, never forget, is rock paper scissors. You just gotta call the right one at the right time.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Page created in 0.046245 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR