Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » This game is a baby eater.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
 Author This game is a baby eater.
Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-11 20:32   
New players have no chance against the dreads and stations people are flying around these days, and with prestige gain being lowered in the future it's only going to make the problem worse.
[ This Message was edited by: Bombg on 2010-11-11 20:46 ]

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-11-11 23:12   

Entire team is babies! What sick man sends babies to fight me?

Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 00:54   
yes heavy very funny heh heh heh.

Moving on here's a quote from a MMO design blog that's talking about the demise of APB.

Source

Quote:
A game design is a “baby eater” if high-level players constantly defeat low-level players. APB is a classic example of this. Incoming “baby” players experience nothing but defeat as veterans tear them apart. Despite claiming that a special “threat” system would create “fair” matches, the actual system completely failed. Vastly unequal matches were commonplace in APB. This resulted in no positive word-of-mouth encouraging games to try APB. Instead, discouraged novices spread “bad vibes,” in the form of complaints about everything from real culprits (such as the matchmaking system) to irrelevant issues (a lack of “realistic” gun recoil).

In the final weeks before bankruptcy, Realtime Worlds desperately patched and “fixed” APB. Unfortunately these were minor tweaks to weaponry, outfitting and matchmaking adjustments that did nothing to prevent “baby eating.” Perhaps the senior RTW designers were so in love with the original concept that they couldn’t see the horrible reality. Perhaps there wasn’t the time and resources to make wholesale post-launch changes that fast. The inability of those designers to see the problem during beta was fatal. After launch they were reduced to rearranging deck chairs and conducting one last tune from the sinking fantail of the Titanic.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-11-12 01:53   
Question to you:
What's stopping u newbies from forming yr own enclaves n duking it out in the rank limited servers or the scenario?

The MV, especially Sag, is a big bad no holds barred place. All the vets n ranking players earned their ranks n place in blood playing in Sag. If they made it through to where they are today, then I don't see why you can't do it too?

You either play smart in Sag, or u stay in Scen or RR till you rank up and have the guns to survive in the MV. Can't dumb down the game anymore just to cater to babies.

Maroc
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-11-12 02:31   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 01:53, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Question to you:
What's stopping u newbies from forming yr own enclaves n duking it out in the rank limited servers or the scenario?

The MV, especially Sag, is a big bad no holds barred place. All the vets n ranking players earned their ranks n place in blood playing in Sag. If they made it through to where they are today, then I don't see why you can't do it too?

Yea i agree. I ranked up in Sag even there was flying Dreads and stations who were shooting at me. Actually it was kind of fun to fight a station or dread when using ships like destroyers. Personaly sometimes i like chalanges like that. In my opinion if sag is too dangerous for newbies they should go to scenario or rank limited servers or if they like a challange stay in sag.

[ This Message was edited by: Maroc on 2010-11-12 02:33 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 02:50   
Quote:

On 2010-11-11 20:32, Bombg wrote:
New players have no chance against the dreads and stations people are flying around these days, and with prestige gain being lowered in the future it's only going to make the problem worse.
[ This Message was edited by: Bombg on 2010-11-11 20:46 ]

pres gain gets back to normal, some time ago, you just got too much for shooting anything

Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 02:58   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 01:53, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Question to you:

Because there's hardly any newbies out there to play with? Which isn't helped at all by the "baby eating" design this game has. Plus the whole point of a multi-player game is to have people play together, segregating them is a very bad idea especially in a low population game like this.

Quote:
. If they made it through to where they are today, then I don't see why you can't do it too?

Of course anyone with time can rank up in this game. My point is that the road there to most is going to be discouraging and not fun a lot of times when you have a ship that shoots spit wads at an enemy fleet compromised full of nothing but dreads and stations. The most you can do is take pot shots for pres and then run. The feeling that you have an effect in the game is an important one for a healthy game, and shouldn't only be limited to vets.

Quote:
You either play smart in Sag, or u stay in Scen or RR till you rank up and have the guns to survive in the MV. Can't dumb down the game anymore just to cater to babies.

I have no problem with needing to play smart, but no matter how smart you play most of the time you're nothing but a cute annoyance that is one jump away from being blown to smithereens. Back when I first played this game many years ago destroyers, cruisers etc actually could be effective against bigger ships if played right. Now days unless you're surrounded by dreads you're not going to get anywhere not matter how well you play.

Bottom line making the game fun for newbies is what keeps new blood coming.

Quote:
The MV, especially Sag, is a big bad no holds barred place. All the vets n ranking players earned their ranks n place in blood playing in Sag

By blood do you mean mountain dew and cheetos?

Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 03:04   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 02:31, Maroc wrote:

Yea i agree. I ranked up in Sag even there was flying Dreads and stations who were shooting at me. Actually it was kind of fun to fight a station or dread when using ships like destroyers. Personaly sometimes i like chalanges like that. In my opinion if sag is too dangerous for newbies they should go to scenario or rank limited servers or if they like a challange stay in sag.

Oh there's nothing wrong with a challenge, but taking on a station in a destroyer is like throwing rocks at a tank. Not only is fight not in your favor (which is expected ), but there is literally no chance of you ever even hurting a station or dread unless they go afk for 5 minutes.
[ This Message was edited by: Bombg on 2010-11-12 03:05 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-11-12 06:38   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 02:58, Bombg wrote:

deit pepsi and sun chips thank you very much

Email Borgie
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-11-12 06:55   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 03:04, Bombg wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 02:31, Maroc wrote:

Oh there's nothing wrong with a challenge, but taking on a station in a destroyer is like throwing rocks at a tank. Not only is fight not in your favor (which is expected ), but there is literally no chance of you ever even hurting a station or dread unless they go afk for 5 minutes.

I ranked up by flying w n hiding behind friendly dreads, and only popping out to attack once the enemy was hulled.

LPv2.5
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-11-12 07:46   
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 06:38, Borgie wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 02:58, Bombg wrote:

deit pepsi and sun chips thank you very much

This made me giggle....thanks Borgie

Anyhooo...have you considered joining a fleet? In my experience, the fleets with vets will look after their own, give you tips on flying the smaller ships, and help you rank up faster.

I get that it must be challenging to fly a small ship against dreads and stations, but quite a few vets fly smaller ships and do just fine. Try to work within the system instead of attacking it.....less of headache for everyone involved.

Aradrox
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 09:23   
The problem is that this is a "baby eater" designed game. Its that new players WONT listen to what us vets tell them to do. quite frankly stay the frac back. If you in any thing smaller then a Assault Class Cruiser you should NEVER be within Beam Range. The first thing you should do upon entering battle is try to stay back until you JD is charged. ALWAYS make sure you have a way out. Also I will personally prove to you that a Destroyer class ship CAN "Hull" a Dreadnaught Class ship. Just reply with the time you wana see it happen get in a Dread and WILL take your armor down....NO I likely wont kill you. But why should a destroyer be able to kill a Dread...

Maroc
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-11-12 09:53   
Quote:

Well when i was low ranked player and was flying in destroyers i was able to do quite some damageto dreads, i was able to hull them too, but back then there was no enchantments, but if 2 guys with destroyers would attack a dread they would damage it a lot. Afcaurse in the begining it would take some trys for newbie to do that but when they get some expierence and tips from other players i think they would be able to deal a lot of damage and even make it jump (if its 2v1).

IrishSargent
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-12 10:11   
I started this game a month ago and play for a few hours a week (sometimes more) in my free time. Yes busy person I like always skim read the manual launched right into the game. After 5 mins i came back out and i sat for almost an hour reading through the controls on the manual. Over the next few days i remember having several tabs of the manual open and was constantly minimising to look at them. At the same time i asked the questions, I listened, and I learned.

New players can play this game just the same as older ones. You just need to listen, learn, and play smart. The more effort you put into coming up with smart ways to score hits the more pres you will get.

TheHunter
Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-12 11:27   
the prestige amounts being gained right now means all newbs who play hard are 1st RA's or above very fast so no real problem there.

Goto the website of TheHunter
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Page created in 0.028899 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR