Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Latest Update - Questions
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
 Author Latest Update - Questions
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-25 03:17   
Quote:

On 2010-08-24 17:44, Marius Falix wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-24 17:41, NoBoDx wrote:
so if the humans put up their thousands of eccms, i have to wait for 10 (or next beta 15) seconds before i can reenable cloak because it make no sense to attack

well in that 15 seconds untill u can attack, ur cloak wouldve cooled down.
so i dont understand your point =\
explain please

I Don't mind the 10s cd for cloak
The Point is that i am unable to judge if it is worth to uncloak i don't have any clues if i face +10 sig or +200 sig
Without the cd i can recloak when i have the feeling it would take too long

So heres my sugestion:
Keep cloak-cd but make luth-ships able to fire After x sec so mater the sig

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-08-25 03:27   
Quote:

On 2010-08-25 03:17, NoBoDx wrote:

I Don't mind the 10s cd for cloak
The Point is that i am unable to judge if it is worth to uncloak i don't have any clues if i face +10 sig or +200 sig
Without the cd i can recloak when i have the feeling it would take too long

So heres my sugestion:
Keep cloak-cd but make luth-ships able to fire After x sec so mater the sig

I have to agree.

- The cooldown period is fine.

- ECCM and beacons having an effect on raising the signatures and slowing the cloaking times on Kluth ships is also fine.

But:

- Kluth should be able to jump or fire the moment they decloak regardless of Sig.
After all, the ship is already visible, the cloak is deactivated, and power has been rerouted to weapons/jump engines, so waiting to reach full signature actually doesn't really make sense.

- Perhaps include a "Signature Detector" (ECCM strength indicator, actually) on K'luth ships so that they know the amount of ECCM activity in the area, and decide whether or not to risk decloaking and attacking.
This works like an ESM device.... since modern day ships already have this, futuristic starships should also carry one handy.

In other words.... K'luth has an extra Signature bar to reflect the true Sig in the area if they were not cloaked. Shouldn't be hard to implement, right?

Hope the Devs can consider these 2.

We were looking at tradeoffs and balances for cloaking?
Suggestions like including cloak cooloff, but then making cloak impenetrable would seem like going back to square one.... but the suggestions above may be a reasonable trade.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-08-25 03:28 ]

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-25 05:03   
Probably not going to add a sig indicator.

But the set time to be ready to fire after decloak I suggested last night in dev discussions, because I agree with you on the logic.

I also personally think a scaled recharge makes some sense. Its quite possible to do so; the ship has an innate level (the database entry quoted is horribly out of date, by the way) (listed here under "Hull Level") that we can use as a modifier - for example, 5 seconds + level. Or something to that effect.

But this is just my opinion - not the opinion of the dev team...

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2010-08-25 05:03 ]

Email Shigernafy
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-25 05:23   
Enabling insta-fire after de-cloak would make ECCM significantly less useful, wouldn't it? It'd only work to prevent cloaking, whereas right now it is an efficient demotivator for Luth to attack ships around planets: the high ECCM usually discourages them from uncloaking as most vessels can escape before they can fire.

Changing that also feels like a step backwards, I think, as it means K'Luth can uncloak and jump away with absolute disregard for counter-measures brought by the human factions and further makes Interdictors more of a necessity than a playtool... except K'Luth can instantly fire on that thing after de-cloaking.

And a Krill does scare Interdictors off easily. ;o

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-08-25 05:24   
Right, got that.
Though I would still like to press a little on the Sig indicator bit.

It's just an extra indicator for K'luths to know the true Sig level in the area. Part of the sensor suite of the ship, I guess. It doesn't do anything offensively, it's more of a support device to let the pilot know whether it's safe/wise to attack or not.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-08-25 05:24 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-08-25 05:34   
Quote:

On 2010-08-25 05:23, Bardiche wrote:
Enabling insta-fire after de-cloak would make ECCM significantly less useful, wouldn't it? It'd only work to prevent cloaking, whereas right now it is an efficient demotivator for Luth to attack ships around planets: the high ECCM usually discourages them from uncloaking as most vessels can escape before they can fire.

Changing that also feels like a step backwards, I think, as it means K'Luth can uncloak and jump away with absolute disregard for counter-measures brought by the human factions and further makes Interdictors more of a necessity than a playtool... except K'Luth can instantly fire on that thing after de-cloaking.

And a Krill does scare Interdictors off easily. ;o

One purpose of ECCM is to detect cloaked vessels by way of pinging. ECCM also serves to make sure that a ship cloaking will remain on your screens for longer period.

In other words, it's an offensive measure against cloaked vessels. To find them, and nail them. Or to prevent them from getting away.

Logically speaking,
- ECCM shouldn't prevent an enemy vessel from firing once he drops his cloak
- What does full sig means? Sig is basically the detectability of the vessel... and has nothing to do with the vessel being able to fire.
- When ECCM is spammed, the detectability of a vessel is artificially raised, and the K'luth ship is already disadvantaged when trying to escape. But that doesn't mean that he should be further disadvantage by not being able to fire or jump when he decloaks too, right?

Right now, the cloak is already "nerfed"... or balanced... as some of you may put it. So, if you spam the area with ECCM, that would mean that K'luth would add 10 to 15 secs to their ability to escape.

The logical "give-back" would be to allow them to fire their weapons immediately after decloaking.

Another trade with this would perhaps to make beacons targetable at a certain distance... or to give the beacons the signature of a Scout. So if a K'luth ship get beaconed and he cloaks and the sig goes to zero.... you can still target the object (Beacon), if it is within a distance of say... 300 gus.

You won't know what ship it is... you just know that it is a beacon, and it's attached to a ship, so shoot at it. Of course, the beacon, having the sig characteristics of a Scout class ship, can be overcome by ECM too.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-08-25 06:10 ]

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-25 05:37   
kenny luth can cloak crazy fast even in super high eccm areas. Take the myo cluster for example(before the update). It regularly had between 100 and 200 sig level (depending on the number of suriving sencor plats) and luth could still cloak crazy fast there

Email *FTL*Soulless
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-08-25 05:40   
Quote:

On 2010-08-25 05:37, soulless93 wrote:
kenny luth can cloak crazy fast even in super high eccm areas. Take the myo cluster for example(before the update). It regularly had between 100 and 200 sig level (depending on the number of suriving sencor plats) and luth could still cloak crazy fast there

ECM. As you're spamming ECCM, they're countering with ECM too.

Here's what I do. I fill up my EW slots with ECMs. When I wanna get away, I hit the cloak... and if I see my sig is still high up there... or if I'm beaconed, I switch on my ECMs and watch the sig go to 0, then I make course changes to throw you off.

Besides, you two.... if we wanted to jump out, we wouldn't be bothered to cloak after attacking. Right now, K'luth tactics have somewhat changed after the cooldown. We tend to jump out immediately rather than cloaking and then decloaking again to jump out.
[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-08-25 05:48 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-25 07:25   
another idea with the sig-indicator:

when i toggle cloak on, my ship will be invisible after x seconds ( maybe depending on hull-size and current sig )
the sig-bar at the bottom display the normal sig (eg 50) but the luth-ship is invisible (no target-diamond, no visible target)
when i toggle cloak off, my ship becomes visible and the weapons become usable after some time
(depending on hull-size & present eccm)

->
- perfect invisible while cloaked
- cloaking-time is affected by present eccm
- luth can judge if they can make their attack before they have to decloak/run (since the normal sig-indicator shows the normal-sig)
- eccm still delay the cloak/decloak/initial attack-time

warlord 1050
Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-25 08:17   
a suggestion for cloaks.

why do all kluth ships have the same cooldown time?
I suggest smaller ships have lower cooldown times on their cloaks then e.g. stations or dreads.
Kluth ships have poor armor, especially the smaller ships.
So if a small combat ships tries to engage with a full alfa (he most kluth have short range after all) and want to get away alive, he needs to cloak back quickly.
Besides smaller ships also do less damage, so the lower cooldown is acceptable / it doesn't make those ships overpowered.
Bigger kluth ships can take way more damage and it's more fair that their cooldown is longer (just like with jumpdrive).

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-25 08:43   
You have to remember, Kenny, this is to balance cloak. There's no real argument for a "give back". A few versions back, ICC shields had significant defence boosts making beams a little useless on them. They were nerfed to what they are now, and we were given no "give backs" to compensate.

When a faction is adjusted negatively, then it stands to reason this is done so to balance. To "fix" the issue of K'Luth uncloaking, firing, cloaking, they added a fifteen second cooldown. No longer can a Ganglia just fire its payload and then sit back in cloak, it has to remain visible.

To address such a fix with "we need to be compensated" demands the question, "And how will you balance that?"

I'd suggest "Okay, fine, so make ECM work only when not cloaked", but then I am sure that someone will come along and shout, "But hey, if you do that, we need compensation!"

It just doesn't work that way. They'd be endlessly balancing compensations and then compensating that.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to have to wait for full signature to fight, but it doesn't make sense to limit yourself to 32 structures either. Sometimes sense has to be abandoned for in-game balance.

I agree your idea would "fix" the "problem" with 200 signature fields where uncloaking is a nightmare.

I'm not too much of a fan for it, though. UGTO and ICC are fielding dedicated ships to provide the ECCM coverage. The K'Luth has the Worker and Proboscis with gratuituous amounts of EW slots. I think it'd work well to assume balance adjustments under circumstances where K'Luth field their own support ships to handle support.

We field Recon Scouts to ECCM ping, beacon and generally ECCM the area. I think it's high time K'Luth start fielding support ships to deal with it, rather than retaliate the problem with "moar dreads" and "make ECCM do nothing to our uncloak".

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-25 09:38   
FYI, the reason I don't scale the cooldown is due to the fact that the cloak time is already based on hull levels. This is not a NERF to cloaking times, but more of a enforcment of how the cloak is meant to be used.

The math (loosly) for cloaking is as follows:

Cooldown timer + ( hull level * cloak modifier )

However, this only comes into play if a player WANTS to cloak during the cooldown. If a player is visible (and normally would remaing so) during the entire time, then there's no affect on the player. This type of player is playing how I would like to see cloak used (a bit of risk involved).

All this is supposed to do is force a little strategy on the use of cloak, and not to determin how long a K'luth player remains visible. Bardiche put forward an excellent example of the Ganglia firing missiles. An annoying trend of which I see is the Ganglia staying at range, uncloaking, firing it's missiles, and then immediately cloaking again. Very little risk involved, very little a player can do about it.

This of course, affects other ships and means of fighting. But as I stated, I would like to see the use of cloak become much more of a strategic tool, rather than be abused in some situations. Players who already use it in a strategic manner won't have to adapt as much (and those K'luth players who I've spoken to - thank you for your feedback on this, as well as support and suggestions).

This fixes some of the holes in the current cloaking system without drastically changing the fundamentals of how it works.

The 15 second timer is just a tweak I made to see how it affected K'luth in beta. I may end up reverting it, or further tweaking the numbers.

Keep the good feedback coming please.

As a note, we won't be adding new functions like a signature detector, etc. Nor will we be refactoring the entire cloak system.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-08-25 09:40   
Quote:

On 2010-08-25 08:43, Bardiche wrote:
You have to remember, Kenny, this is to balance cloak. There's no real argument for a "give back". A few versions back, ICC shields had significant defence boosts making beams a little useless on them. They were nerfed to what they are now, and we were given no "give backs" to compensate.

When a faction is adjusted negatively, then it stands to reason this is done so to balance. To "fix" the issue of K'Luth uncloaking, firing, cloaking, they added a fifteen second cooldown. No longer can a Ganglia just fire its payload and then sit back in cloak, it has to remain visible.

To address such a fix with "we need to be compensated" demands the question, "And how will you balance that?"

I'd suggest "Okay, fine, so make ECM work only when not cloaked", but then I am sure that someone will come along and shout, "But hey, if you do that, we need compensation!"

It just doesn't work that way. They'd be endlessly balancing compensations and then compensating that.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to have to wait for full signature to fight, but it doesn't make sense to limit yourself to 32 structures either. Sometimes sense has to be abandoned for in-game balance.

I agree your idea would "fix" the "problem" with 200 signature fields where uncloaking is a nightmare.

I'm not too much of a fan for it, though. UGTO and ICC are fielding dedicated ships to provide the ECCM coverage. The K'Luth has the Worker and Proboscis with gratuituous amounts of EW slots. I think it'd work well to assume balance adjustments under circumstances where K'Luth field their own support ships to handle support.

We field Recon Scouts to ECCM ping, beacon and generally ECCM the area. I think it's high time K'Luth start fielding support ships to deal with it, rather than retaliate the problem with "moar dreads" and "make ECCM do nothing to our uncloak".

The cooldown was implemented primarily to address the issue of Kluth using cloak as a get out of jail free card. Now, with the cooldown, Kluths have to consider when they want to initiate their attack, as they know that the cooldown will mean that they might not escape.

In that case, compounded with ECCM, and a 10 seconds delay.... a Kluth ship is now additionally exposed already.

If, along with the added exposure, and the fact that he cannot even begin firing for anywhere up to 5 seconds after decloaking then it makes it completely ridiculous for something called the "hit and run" faction.

We should have first strike capabilities. Even though the cooldown might very well make our escape much more difficult, that is something that most of us have taken as an acceptable balancing mechanism.

Now that the "run" part has been "balanced"... we should at least retain the "Hit" part.

Capiche?

When I mentioned "give back",

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-08-25 09:43 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-08-25 09:46   
Quote:

On 2010-08-25 09:38, BackSlash wrote:
FYI, the reason I don't scale the cooldown is due to the fact that the cloak time is already based on hull levels. This is not a NERF to cloaking times, but more of a enforcment of how the cloak is meant to be used.

The math (loosly) for cloaking is as follows:

Cooldown timer + ( hull level * cloak modifier )

However, this only comes into play if a player WANTS to cloak during the cooldown. If a player is visible (and normally would remaing so) during the entire time, then there's no affect on the player. This type of player is playing how I would like to see cloak used (a bit of risk involved).

All this is supposed to do is force a little strategy on the use of cloak, and not to determin how long a K'luth player remains visible. Bardiche put forward an excellent example of the Ganglia firing missiles. An annoying trend of which I see is the Ganglia staying at range, uncloaking, firing it's missiles, and then immediately cloaking again. Very little risk involved, very little a player can do about it.

This of course, affects other ships and means of fighting. But as I stated, I would like to see the use of cloak become much more of a strategic tool, rather than be abused in some situations. Players who already use it in a strategic manner won't have to adapt as much (and those K'luth players who I've spoken to - thank you for your feedback on this, as well as support and suggestions).

This fixes some of the holes in the current cloaking system without drastically changing the fundamentals of how it works.

The 15 second timer is just a tweak I made to see how it affected K'luth in beta. I may end up reverting it, or further tweaking the numbers.

Keep the good feedback coming please.

As a note, we won't be adding new functions like a signature detector, etc. Nor will we be refactoring the entire cloak system.

As I said, an acceptable balancing mechanism.

But how about being able to fire immediately, or X seconds after decloak... as opposed to waiting for the Sig to rise to whatever unknown level due to ECCM?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-25 10:01   
As far as I was aware, you should be able to attack exactly 1 second after decloaking (regardless of ship-size). This was done mostly due to sync reasons but I can look into lowering it to 0.5 seconds if you'd like?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023586 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR