No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Remove
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
 Author Remove
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-07-08 18:44   
They tried that - all that happened was everyone flew in dreads & stations, but didn't leave planets except in packs (nothing unusual there) and anytime they started to lose armor or shields on one facing they'd jump out immediately.

End result: Crappy combat if there was any at all.
[ This Message was edited by: Coeus on 2010-07-08 18:44 ]

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-08 19:07   
We also looked at graduated resource costs based on ship class and/or ship damage - both were sufficiently difficult and/or bug-inducing that we decided it wasn't worth it and went with 25% across the board. But keep in mind that since stations already cost more to spawn, 25% of more is still more. That is, it's always cheaper to spawn a destroyer than a station. Heck, it might be cheaper to spawn a fresh destroyer over an existing station (I don't know offhand).

Also, like has been said a dozen times, a "nerf" is in the works. whiners

Email Shigernafy
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-08 21:31   
Maybe another way to determine ship population would have been implementing a type of class limits. Not hard capping, but via resources.

Specifically speaking, the total resources you have on that server.
Eg: Ugto owns 24 planets n the total resources on all worlds add up to 1,000,000.
A system could be set up such that each station requires 200,000 res from the server total to spawn, dreads need 90,000, cruisers 50,000, and smaller ships have no cost.

The res would not actually be deducted. They are just prerequisite benchmarks. And yes gates included.

So, UGTO will only be able to spawn 5 stations, 11 dreads, and 20 cruisers at any one time, independent of each other, in that system. If they lose a planet... say, a Terran with 200,000 res, they lose the ability to respawn 1 station, 2 dreads, and 4 cruisers, upon losing them.

Now capping and holding planets mean something.

Of course, if a faction is kicked out of a server it makes it hard to recap again.
The faction can either mount an assault from their home server. Or, perhaps a system can detect in place when a faction's planet hit zero and 'credit' them 500,000 res to spawn at a gate.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-07-08 21:33 ]

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-08 23:38   
Quote:

On 2010-07-08 11:38, Shigernafy wrote:
We all knew it would have an impact. The surprise was how big a whine fest it has triggered.

That shouldn't be a surpise, considering this instantly becomes common (emphasis added by me):

Quote:

On 2010-07-08 12:15, Undead Patriot wrote:
everyone knows whats gonna end up happening if they keep this. people are gonna want to spawn the ships that they want, and if they cant, they just wont play darkspace. I mined a planet for 35 minutes yesterday just for some other player to spawn a station from it. the new system is unfair for people. instead of relying on resources for a spawn timer. there should just be a timer in the game stating that you just spawned a ship so you cant spawn another one for a certain amount of time.

That's simply unacceptable, and people will and should whine about it. It wasn't acceptable even in the good old days, but like I said at least in the MV planets had millions of resources at a time, not 300k max.

EDIT: http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=47972&forum=1&66

Quote:
Posted: 2010-02-08 11:14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something should be done to limit the spawning of new ships over and over from shipyards though. But the problem is the current resource limits severely limit the ability to spawn. Even at a terran planet, you can only spawn 1 dread at a time, and 1 station would use up almost all the resources. The game would devolve into people bickering that they can't fly what they want, people complaining that others are stealing their resources, and others just sitting at the ship selection screen waiting.

Like I said, some of us knew exactly what would happen and the reaction of the players, due to remembering how it used to be in scenario servers (not in the MV, the MV didn't have this problem most of the time. The MV's problem was "docking" to and getting saved to 1 shipyard).
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2010-07-08 23:49 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Page created in 0.014649 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR