No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Mini map please.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
 Author Mini map please.
jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-14 23:11   
Quote:

On 2010-12-14 10:45, Howlingwind wrote:
Ok so you guys don't have time for this kind of thing. I understand. Are programming staff responsable for moderating forums as well? Cause if they are then i would be happy to take time out of MV to moderate if it meant you guys could build this for us.

i don't really think the mini map is a good idea it really just means more fancy coding cloging up the interface.

and i also do not recommend asking for mod again its one of the sure ways of ensuring you never get it .

i think we should just have f2 auto center on you every time you bring it up that way jumps can be ploted more quickly.

the difference between hull damage and a lot of dead crewmembers

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2011-02-02 09:09   
didnt read entire thread. but "minimap" or something that would look like a smal radar screen with simple icons of anything important aroud could be nice. but not neccesary

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-02 11:17   
Although I am not apposed to a minimap I think I can survive without one however in lieu of a minimap I am adamantly petioning for target indicators that reflect the mass/ship class of a target. Instead of everything being the same uniform diamond I want either different shapes or noticably different sizes for a missle as apposed to a scout as apposed to a dread, planet, etc. You could even go far enough as to mark ships as being AI or not although this is no where near as important. I think just this would make your full screen mini map camera combo Idea immeasurably more helpful. Now instead of just knowing that there is probably something happening behind me I know that there is a dread with a supply ship, a scout, a destroyer and a planet aswell as incoming missiles behind me and i should probably relocate myself quickly.

This would not increase lag or take up lacking HUD space or become and extra tool that would go unused. Most of all if you can give missiles and fighters a smaller diamond than ships or planets I cant imagine that the ability to change the size and hopefully the shape of other objects in the metaverse would be that coding intensive. (I'm not any kind of expert at C++ so tell me if im wrong here)

[ This Message was edited by: Scorched Soul[+R] on 2011-02-02 11:30 ]

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-02-02 12:59   
Quote:

On 2011-02-02 11:17, Scorched Soul[+R] wrote:
Although I am not apposed to a minimap I think I can survive without one however in lieu of a minimap I am adamantly petioning for target indicators that reflect the mass/ship class of a target. Instead of everything being the same uniform diamond I want either different shapes or noticably different sizes for a missle as apposed to a scout as apposed to a dread, planet, etc. You could even go far enough as to mark ships as being AI or not although this is no where near as important. I think just this would make your full screen mini map camera combo Idea immeasurably more helpful. Now instead of just knowing that there is probably something happening behind me I know that there is a dread with a supply ship, a scout, a destroyer and a planet aswell as incoming missiles behind me and i should probably relocate myself quickly.

This would not increase lag or take up lacking HUD space or become and extra tool that would go unused. Most of all if you can give missiles and fighters a smaller diamond than ships or planets I cant imagine that the ability to change the size and hopefully the shape of other objects in the metaverse would be that coding intensive. (I'm not any kind of expert at C++ so tell me if im wrong here)

yes this would be very code intinsive. Would have to set up new classes for new objects. (different dimonds for each ship) as well as a whole slue of "if then" statments to check the different paramiters you set forth. If there is a scout behind player x then display SmallTriangle at position 540,600. So on.

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-02 13:13   
fair enough it would take more work than I though but I still stick to my previous statment I would rather helpful icons than a mini map to tell me what I can already guess.

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-03 02:24   
Quote:

On 2011-02-02 11:17, Scorched Soul[+R] wrote:

You know the icons that you see in F2? I can visualize those being identifiers for your idea here. I like this, even if it's too hard to actually code.

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-03 05:23   
Alas, I am being massively hypocritical and merely skimmed this thread.

However, if memory serves this was on a dev/bloat list somewhere, pencilled in as "maybe, if we get the time at some point."

However, the counter-argument here is that you could fairly easily have someone at a safe distance keeping an eye on the strategic situation and coordinate people.

For example, my main problem is that a lot of the time I fail to realise that everyone else has run away and I'm the only UGTO unit on the field, with the result that I get shot to pieces.

Two solutions: Solution the first: Get a minimap. The huge number of red dots would clue me in that something's gone wrong.
Solution the second: Have someone watching the tactical screen going "Okay, everyone fall back now, don't straggle behind or you'll get shot to pieces." One would think that people flying command ships could take this role.

Obviously the second solution requires infinitely less development time.

Also, I note that someone was asking if developers = moderators. The answer can be yes, but there are also moderators who are not developers, and developers who are not moderators. For example, I am a moderator but I do not touch the game's programming.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-02-03 08:12   
Quote:
On 2011-02-03 05:23, Gejaheline wrote:
Obviously the second solution requires infinitely less development time.

Also, I note that someone was asking if developers = moderators. The answer can be yes, but there are also moderators who are not developers, and developers who are not moderators. For example, I am a moderator but I do not touch the game's programming.

We still like everyones imput to make DS a better game.
I to give my personal opinions to the DS team and ask questions to try solve problems. I do this in real live and for the good of DarkSpace.
(check staff page for the list who is who.)

Quote:
On 2011-02-03 05:23, Gejaheline wrote:
For example, my main problem is that a lot of the time I fail to realise that everyone else has run away and I'm the only UGTO unit on the field, with the result that I get shot to pieces.

Two solutions: Solution the first: Get a minimap. The huge number of red dots would clue me in that something's gone wrong.
Solution the second: Have someone watching the tactical screen going "Okay, everyone fall back now, don't straggle behind or you'll get shot to pieces." One would think that people flying command ships could take this role.

I am not one to favor the minimap, itself would change the entire gameplay from a tactical teambased spacegame to just a teambased space shooter.

But geja has made me think a bit, a minimap would help a bit to figure out where your allies are. So a allied minimap i would not be against.

[edit]Typo's
[ This Message was edited by: Eledore Massis [R33] on 2011-02-03 12:13 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-03 09:01   
The only thing that I think we need is a list of nearby friendly and enemy players.

I think the Navigation screen needs a bit of polish but it works well. I like it. But believe me, unless you've played for a long time and you can seamlessly navigate between F2 and the regular screen while in combat, its very troublesome.

So heres the thing. I don't want a minimap. Minimaps would make things too easy. Theres not enough reliance on your own ability to keep track of the situation.

However, DS does lack the normal capability to use that ability well. Like I said, the game needs polish.

I think this is part of what Num9 should be. You have a list thats you're group (if you're in one, but then part of me feels that groups should someday become the norm rather than the exception with a few tweaks but I digress there), and next to it is a list of nearby friendly players, much similar to the nav map.

However it will only show up to ten players, and only within a 5kgu radius. It would also show enemy players within a 5kgu radius, and only up to ten players. They would be the ten closest players.

This allows players to know if an enemy is there, to be able to select target easier, and still allows for an outside commander to coordinate attacks much easier, especially if we had a system of being able to appoint a commander to direct orders.

Darkspace really needs this. It really needs "offical" leadership roles. As much as I hate popularity contests, the fact is that a faction does alot better if it works together, and a chain command really needs to exist somewhere. One can be formed "ad hoc" as nothing prevents players from forming their own but its really hard to get people to do anything when you have three or four different people wanting to do three or four different things.

Im digressing again aren't I? Anyways. The point is, its something that lets players see the immediate battelfield without having it handed to them on a platter. It lets players better coordinate strikes because they don't have to nav map to select specific targets - it should be the guy in the commander role who is in F2, assessing the strategic situation.

-Ent

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-03 12:11   
This question/request has been answered in this post, and in a general post in the post 'A message from the development team'.

Coupled with the fact this topic was two-month necro'd, I'm going to close it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Page created in 0.020514 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR