05/25/24 +5.5 Days
- Weekly DarkSpace
05/25/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Enterprise
21th - Hobbyte

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Mini map please.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author Mini map please.
Vashan (Starfaring Fluffdragon)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-28 08:17   
I like this idea, actually. Mainly because of the fact that, when you have multiple targets in the distance sitting so close together in a line from you, it's VERY hard to click the right one (what with them compounding upon each other). Unless if they're sitting on top of each other, the map would be useful to single out your target judging what distance or order they're in out of the clusterfruit of contacts.

Another good point: I sometimes fight in areas that happen to be close to solars (Such as Argrea and Atlantis being so close to the star, Lucky), and when your target moves between you and that very bright, blinding ball of fire, it's VERY tough trying to even see the contact diamond if your target's small (Like, say, a destroyer or below). Minimaps would eliminate the confusion in this regard and let you keep a good track on your target.

Only con I can think of is that a minimap, if it's too big, would consume a good portion of an already HUD-cluttered screen, and considering I only have a CRT monitor, sometimes it can get a bit cluttersome from the limitation on resolution. The upper-right corner would be the most ideal, considering there isn't much up there.... but it'd be best to keep the minimap smaller.

Of course, if it ever gets implemented, could also try implementing radar jammers too. A good Electronic-Warfare suite in a space war just wouldn't be complete without it. =D

Vashan (Starfaring Fluffdragon)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-28 08:23   
Actually, another note, now that I thought of it. Scanners.

Instead of implementing Scanners as just a way to fully see everything in range, try making them to increase the minimap's effective range? Default's a 1000, and maybe a scanner adds another thou?

Just a thought, throwing it out there.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-10-28 15:40   
Quote:

On 2010-10-26 15:10, BackSlash wrote:
There are far more important things to be worked on before we get on to luxuries such as this.

like Lag.

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-28 17:34   
Quote:

On 2010-10-28 15:40, Marshal CRAZY45 *XO* wrote:
Quote:

There are far more important things to be worked on before we get on to luxuries such as this.

like Lag.

crazy...lag cannot be fixed by developers of a game...something is obviously wrong with your ISP...because i live in the UK and have very little lag...i might get the odd 700 ms spike but that's it

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-28 18:08   
Quote:

On 2010-10-28 17:34, Chaos Zero wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-28 15:40, Marshal CRAZY45 *XO* wrote:
Quote:

like Lag.

crazy...lag cannot be fixed by developers of a game...something is obviously wrong with your ISP...because i live in the UK and have very little lag...i might get the odd 700 ms spike but that's it

like he said
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-17 09:44   
Ok so it is decided the vast majority of people who have commented like the idea. What I would really like to hear now is the opinion of the devs/ whoever it is that runs this game.

Anyone know where i can get hold of one?

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=50169&forum=36&start=0

furtim
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-17 12:42   
Not much to add but +1. I don't think any of the supporters think this is THE one most important thing to add, but there has to be room in between number one and number never on the dev priority list.

Also, regarding "strategy game not shooter", try looking at some strat game HUDs and shooter HUDs. Lots of shooters do have minimaps, but nearly ALL strat games do.

Goto the website of furtim
ForsakenCookie
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-11-18 14:19   
I can barely think of a game that doesn't have a minimap nowadays. I like the idea of having a small toggable minimap overlay that simply shows red dots for enemies, green dots for allies. Maybe even have planets as larger red/green/yellow dots.

Nav map lags alot of the time, so even if I do use it while in combat, it can be confusing as to were enemies actually are. Then of course theres the whole, its taking up my entire screen. Another problem with using nav map in combat is, which might only happen to me, the mouse sometimes becomes stuck and all I can do is spin the map around and mash buttons hoping that it becomes unstuck before I die.

Everyone arguing that having a minimap would remove skill from the game, or that this isn't a shooter is being silly. I cannot think of any space game that doesn't have a minimap or any game really, even racing games have a form of minimap. I can't even understand the whole it'll make the game easier thing, if someone is staring at their minimap while in combat they may not even notice their armor being completly gone. There would be a trade off for looking at the minimap, as it would most likely divert your attention from combat.
[ This Message was edited by: ForsakenCookie on 2010-11-18 14:20 ]

Email ForsakenCookie
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-11-18 15:20   
Unfortunately there is no room in the pipeline (short-term going into long-term) for something like this to be done. We're very much focused on things that NEED to be done, rather than things that we WANT to do.

I know it's not the news you want, but it's the way it is. If you want this stuff done, then find some extra 18+ C++ programmers that can get us there faster. Until that happens, this is at the bottom of a very, very long list.

- Jack

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-18 20:41   
just curious jack but do yall actually have dev like hired one who get paied to work on here or are they all just volunteers

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-11-18 21:09   
Quote:

On 2010-11-18 20:41, Nova Team wrote:
just curious jack but do yall actually have dev like hired one who get paied to work on here or are they all just volunteers

This is a free game. The staff are all volunteers.

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-14 10:45   
Ok so you guys don't have time for this kind of thing. I understand. Are programming staff responsable for moderating forums as well? Cause if they are then i would be happy to take time out of MV to moderate if it meant you guys could build this for us.

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=50169&forum=36&start=0

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-14 10:56   
Oh and another pro.

I dont have a conventional mouse so i have to take my hands away from the mouse keys to scroll accross the screen so i am effectivly unable to control my ship whilst checking the arrows.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-12-14 12:28   
a mini map would be really nice if not for the sole reason that in order to plot a good get-away jump you have to hit F2, find your ship in F2, find a planet, get a clear jump line, and then initiate jump.

depending on how difficult some of those steps are, trying to save yourself can get you killed.

if nothing else F2 should automatically center on your ship with a keystroke or by default.

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-12-14 21:53   
Quote:

On 2010-12-14 12:28, Lark (Retired) wrote:
if nothing else F2 should automatically center on your ship with a keystroke

spacebar

Email -Shadowalker-™
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027120 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR