Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » DarkSpace is now entirely free to play
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author DarkSpace is now entirely free to play
Icarus II
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-12 23:09   
i still plan to resub whenever i am able too, not sure exactly when that will be. but tnx guys!

Email Icarus II
-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-12 23:40   
Quote:

On 2010-03-12 18:29, Challenger wrote:
No, it is not going to go away. DS has seen smaller numbers in its years. This isnt free drinks before the ship goes down.

You say this yet over there ------> the life boats are being launched and the band is on deck playing music to clam the people.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-03-13 01:18   
This is not what i wanted...

how can the game survive if its free to play? nothing is free.

You might not guess it from talking to me as of late..

but if DS goes down ill be verry very sad.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-13 01:25   
There are only two reasons a game goes free to play.

Either its something bad/outdated enough that a significant number of people will not play it.

Or because its about to shut down.

Now normally, if its the first, usually an option of a subscription still existing means those subscribed get something out of it. Right now it just being donations I find a little.. well, unique.

Or they start busting out alternative forms of revenue. As stated elsewhere.. nothing is free. Either Faustus won the lottery or something else.

But theres always the possibility of the game shutting down. Alot of games about to jump into the abyss just say to hell with it, why not make the last days free to everyone.

Either way, even free, you couldn't get me personally to play, everyone flying around Dreads just take all the fun out of the game...

-Ent

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-13 01:53   
We promise to not fly dreads!

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-13 02:41   
Darkspace is now my Number One game!

This is not my first account. I made my first one in 06. Then that one got Repo'd. This is proabaly my seventh account so I have been through alot in DS. Made lots of friends and lots of enemies.

OHHH DARKSPACE, DARKSPACE RULE THE WINDS(SOLAR FLARES)!!!

-Val

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-13 02:45   
Another reason why games go Free 2 Play is because they have decided to introduce In-Game ads.

Having the Ads playing while DS is loading. Then saying if you Subscribe you won't seen the ads.

-Val

Nat
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-13 03:59   
As was said earlier DS is not and has no plans to shutdown. DS has a remarkedly small operating expense compared to other games. There are still devs actively working on the game and no word has been given that this will change in the near future.
Captain Siphon Australis

Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-03-13 08:28   
First of all, I would like to state that we have no intention of shutting down the game servers.

Secondly there is a risk with going a hundred percent free. There is a possibility that donations will not equate to enough income to keep the servers running, and if that happens it will be a sad day for us all. However, the Development Team is commited to keeping DarkSpace around, and improving the existing game for all of our players for as long as we are capable of doing so.

There are alternate means to generating revenue, such as web advertisments, or possibly some micro-transactions for various temporary game benefits. These would not for anything that a player couldn't obtain or unlock via normal game play, and admittedly this idea has not really been discussed or considered much before this point.

As it stands, there are many avenues we can expore if it becomes necessary to do so. Only time will tell.

xTx
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-13 09:28   
I for one will continue to to pay for my sub and wish Faustus and the dev team the best of luck in the future. I only hope enough progress is shown to encourage others to donate also.

xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-13 09:41   
this almost brings a tear to my eye...

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-13 10:00   
Quote:

On 2010-03-13 08:28, Mr Black wrote:
First of all, I would like to state that we have no intention of shutting down the game servers.

Secondly there is a risk with going a hundred percent free. There is a possibility that donations will not equate to enough income to keep the servers running, and if that happens it will be a sad day for us all. However, the Development Team is commited to keeping DarkSpace around, and improving the existing game for all of our players for as long as we are capable of doing so.

There are alternate means to generating revenue, such as web advertisments, or possibly some micro-transactions for various temporary game benefits. These would not for anything that a player couldn't obtain or unlock via normal game play, and admittedly this idea has not really been discussed or considered much before this point.

As it stands, there are many avenues we can expore if it becomes necessary to do so. Only time will tell.

I like the micro-transactions idea. I think we talked abotu it in the lobby a couple of months ago. I still think it's a good idea. You want something bad enough slap down a few bucks and pay for it.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-03-13 10:38   
I would personally like to take this opportunity to advertise our need for developers. Game development opperates on the donations of time that volunteers like myself and others put into the game.

Anyone who has C++ knowledge and can demonstrate that knowledge is encouraged to help the game out by emailing Faustus (rlyle[@]palestar[.]com).

You get a few perks, and if you're looking for a career in the gaming industry experience working with code and a team environment looks great on the CV!

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-13 11:03   
addition to jack post

Be sure u have read the learn c++ by making games book. Would be great help in your new life as developer.

Thugomatic
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-13 13:30   
Quote:

On 2010-03-13 08:28, Mr Black wrote:

Heres 2 quick ideas,
A month donate gets a player a 5 pack of random blues.

Give the option too fly MI's or the Pirates

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026843 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR