Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Battle Ship Classes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author Battle Ship Classes
Gin Ichimaru
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 09:13   
Ok, i couldn't finish my full post cause i had to sleep and get ready for school, i am currently typing for school and I'm glad to see that the post is generating good opinions and ideas :glad:

But...

From looking at Wikipedia, (and I quote)

"The dreadnought was the predominant type of 20th-century battleship. The first of the kind, the Royal Navy's Dreadnought had such an impact when launched in 1906 that battleships built after her were referred to as 'dreadnoughts', and earlier battleships became known as pre-dreadnoughts. Her design had two revolutionary features: an 'all-big-gun' armament scheme and steam turbine propulsion. The arrival of the dreadnoughts renewed the naval arms race, principally between Britain and Germany but reflected worldwide, as the new class of warships became a crucial symbol of national power."

Please note that this is an example that the Dreadnought is a PRE, predominant type of 20th-century battleship.

Now the definition of Battleships based of Wikipedia, (and I quote)

"A battleship is a large armored warship with a main battery consisting of heavy caliber guns. Battleships were larger, better armed and armored than cruisers and destroyers. As the largest armed ships in a fleet, battleships were used to attain command of the sea and represented the apex of a nation's naval power from the nineteenth century up until World War II. With the rise of air power and guided missiles, large guns were no longer deemed necessary to establish naval superiority, and as a result there are no battleships in active service today"

Also....

"Battleship design evolved to incorporate and adapt technological advances to maintain an edge."

And.....

"Battleships were a symbol of naval dominance and national might, and for decades the battleship was a major factor in both diplomacy and military strategy."

The Battleship is clearly a perfect capital ship, the dreadnought, although is powerful, is only a class of the battleship. And a outdated one. I would reply when i come back from school around 3:00-4:00 pm.

Later and Thanks

- Wing

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 09:48   
Quote:

On 2010-02-24 06:01, BackSlash wrote:
How would people feel about Battleships in between Dreads and Cruisers at ranks between Vice Admiral to Marshal?

Battleships is such an odd term to place after "Dreadnought".

I'm more fond of any of the following:

Cruiser -> Battleship -> Dreadnought
Cruiser -> Dreadnought -> Super Dreadnought
Cruiser -> Battleship -> Super Battleship
Cruiser -> Battlecruiser -> Dreadnought

etc.

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-02-24 10:17   
I want subs.

Oh, nvm.

Want star bases like in Sins.

Ah crap, nvm.

[ This Message was edited by: The Fridge on 2010-02-24 10:18 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 10:29   
deathstar !

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 11:18   
Ok...we don't actually need a bigger ship, per say. What if you introduced a stronger type of cruiser, but with upgraded OFF/DEF/. Make a Heavy Cruiser type II/III/IV, type II being a VA rank, but has the weapon base damage of, say, a Carrier Dread (VA rank dread for all faction varies, obviously >.>). The HC type III would have the damage output of a standard battle class cruiser, and make the type IV have a battle strength of an Assault Class Dread.

This would make the use of smaller ships seem like a nicer idea, obviously restricted to ranks and such, but personally, i would rather have a smaller ship with more fire power (stronger weapons, rather then more) then a larger weapons platform.

Restrictions could also include ship caps, so many of "x" ships per so many of "reg" players on faction vs 'player count' of entire server. Rank and badge restrictions (gold medals in what ever is required). As well as the planet spawn requirements of a Battle class station (BS/LS/Nest).

On that note, you could do this for all the smaller ship classes, scout through cruiser. When one already has a ship the size of a small moon, one doesn't require anything bigger, but something more powerful.

Other then that, this entire topic is moot.
H&S

Jackal'
Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 13:06   
That's a tricky question to answer... I like the idea of having a battle ship between cruisers and dreads. As it stands, cruisers do about a third (if that) the damage of a dread, but dessies do more then half the damage of a cruiser...
The problem is, how do you add new ships in without taking out options to current VA's and ADM's. I do think that 1RA should be in a cruiser, and I do think that ADM's should be in a dread. But where does that leave VA's?

I'd say make a Battleship class, one or two ships for Vice admiral. and slap the damage and protection right in between Cruisers and dreads. No core weaps, no loads of lasers (cept for luth of course), but something that doesn't neccisarily have to run from a dread everytime. With this, take carrier and missile dreads out completely. make them carrier ships, and missile boats on a battleship frame, and have that be a secondary to a combat battleship at vice admiral.

That will also help transition players between the obvious differences in combat styles between dreads and cruisers. And it will clear up at least some of the dreadspace clutter.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-24 13:42   
Like I said it depends on your definition of a Battleship as to where it comes in the lineup. For some its before dreads, for others (and the definition) its after them. Also adding them will show progress in the games time line, since after all we are still playing in the same era that the games story is in. There hasn't been ANY forward motion in the games storyline for a vary vary vary long time. For ease of dev processing I would think placing them in the FA/GA area and buffing and moving the stations to M and CM.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-24 14:33   
Hmm, I say a cruiser-battleship-dread lineup, with battleship being pretty much a beefier cruiser, or nerfed dread, something that isnt going to completely decimate anything smaller then it, but not obliterate everything bigger then it either..

besides, i thought that the EAD, AD, and krill were super dreads already? 2x as big as the regulars or some such in the canon...

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-02-24 14:58   
Quote:

On 2010-02-24 14:33, Veronw wrote:

besides, i thought that the EAD, AD, and krill were super dreads already? 2x as big as the regulars or some such in the canon...

Siphon, EAD and AD are the close quarters ships, in close quarters they are immensely greater then the CD,BD maybe not so much the mandi.

Krill is the only super dread imo.

On another note, if your gonna add new ship classes, ICC shield suppy? Less repair pres then hull but same as Armour.

And maybe a support Battlecruiser with one repair drone and as much power as the HC or BC.

Sir Diablos {C?}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 15:16   
How would people feel about Battleships in between Dreads and Cruisers at ranks between Vice Admiral to Marshal?

I like this idea

Gin Ichimaru
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 15:57   
I have returned....... from school

I like Star's idea as well as Rob's but the addition of anything with "super" is kinda overdoing it.

the addition of battlecruiser could do cause i see that even though ICC has the most crusier options, it also has some of the weakest.

I feel that the jump and border crusiers are waste, they were great before but now just there.

The battleship (if added) would fit properly with FA/GA but i dont think its right to bump stations to MM and CM but rather have Battleships require the Platinum badges of combat, scout, engineering, support and nagivation.

Fallen |3lood Angel*Kiyoh*
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 16:30   
i want more ships to play as a free player, i mean, when your in a ship like a cruiser on ICC, and an uggie comes with a dread, obviously, who going to win most of the time? i want ships that are either usable by 1ra that are between cruisers and dreads, or add a few more ships in cruisers and such that a 1st rear admiral can use

Don't waste your time, Or time will waste you.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 17:47   
The obvious solution is to subscribe... There was a time the best thing you could fly for free was a frigate.

Email Sens [R33]
ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2010-02-24 20:25   
Quote:

On 2010-02-24 09:48, Fattierob wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-24 06:01, BackSlash wrote:

Battleships is such an odd term to place after "Dreadnought".

I'm more fond of any of the following:

Cruiser -> Battleship -> Dreadnought
Cruiser -> Dreadnought -> Super Dreadnought
Cruiser -> Battleship -> Super Battleship
Cruiser -> Battlecruiser -> Dreadnought

etc.

I like the Idea of adding a ship class between the dread and the cruiser

Battle Ships should be almost as strong as dreads are now then just increase the strength of the Dreads and Stations to compensate

altering the rank requirements would also be a good idea making station even harder to get into.

those who have already flown stations would still enjoy the new ship class to play with as thier prez grows and they will get back into the stations soon enough

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-24 20:31   
i am very interested in the idea of something that falls between a cruiser and a dread and whatever you want to call it is fine by me. the important thing that i want to see is a ship that is big enough that it could possibly trade its class specific weapon (what ever it is that is bound to the "v" key) and some measure of its speed for an interdictor generator without losing too much of its fire power.

i say this because there are very few people (not no one) who are willing to fly a dictor ship in a fleet and no one who is sane who will fly one solo because there is almost no press gain involved and if you are alone you are REALY not doing anything.

so if the interdictor battleship had a reasonable, slow velocity and a resonable amount of fire power it could jump a combat oriented cruiser and just have a step up in fire power but if it needed to the cruiser could outrun it and escape (that part goes for anything below a cruiser too) but it would only hold out against another battleship it you were clever about it

this would lead (hopefully) to a currently unused piece of the game seeing a little more action and would give an edge to a group of people with mostly dessies and cruisers.

one person could act as the dictor holding that pesky enemy dread in place and see some combat while the cruisers and dessies move in to put it down for good, because any dread that normaly gets jumped by a group of smaller ships large enough to over run it would just flee

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.029978 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR