No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » The Stalemate in the MV needs to be broken.
 Author The Stalemate in the MV needs to be broken.
Lawman
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-07-01 10:55   
*intro skip this if you want to just see the actual suggestion*

Ever since the MV has been split into seperate servers the Sagittarius server has been the center of all the action to the detriment of all the other servers. As everything you need is on that one server and invading another has been essentially made a fools errand. This has essentially turned Darkspaces decesive blitzkrieg style on its head turning a once fluid and decesive conflict into a static and indecisive on that has very uncomfortable parallels with WWI and the book 1984 which of course featured a conflict that continued not for any practical military, economic or political reason but for the perverse chore of destroying excess production to prevent a rise in living standards among the population. The fundmental nature of Darkspace's fictional and actual history show that this static devolution needs to and will be corrected (though I am sure we will have another period like this again). Unless of course we will allow different levels of war and hostility to be introduced. *other suggestion for another topic*

*actual suggestion below*
Since there is no real current incentive to capture systems and hold them darkspaces conflict has devolved into a semi-static conflict over Sagittarius and generally stays there. This leaves the other servers almost entirely neglected and unpopulated save for AI's or when there is a pressing need to use them. My suggestion is simply an incentive to reward factions for capturing systems and holding them.

Heres how it functions, each system would have a bonus that it confers onto the faction holding it or halved if the system is not fully controlled by the faction holding the systems star. (in order to encourage full control of systems) These bonuses would vary but in general would act as enhancements that apply to all in a faction. They could also be bonuses that apply to thing that enchancements do not cover. For example holding your factions home system (and conversely holding anothers home system) would confer say a 20% increase in building (this could change).
Each system would have its own specific bonus associated with releating to some property of that system. I have not however worked these out so I hope I could get suggestions in this topic for bonuses.

Email Lawman   Goto the website of Lawman
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-01 11:06   
Quote:

On 2009-07-01 10:55, Lawman wrote:
Since there is no real current incentive to capture systems and hold them darkspaces conflict has devolved into a semi-static conflict over Sagittarius and generally stays there. This leaves the other servers almost entirely neglected and unpopulated save for AI's or when there is a pressing need to use them. My suggestion is simply an incentive to reward factions for capturing systems and holding them.

Heres how it functions, each system would have a bonus that it confers onto the faction holding it or halved if the system is not fully controlled by the faction holding the systems star. (in order to encourage full control of systems) These bonuses would vary but in general would act as enhancements that apply to all in a faction. They could also be bonuses that apply to thing that enchancements do not cover. For example holding your factions home system (and conversely holding anothers home system) would confer say a 20% increase in building (this could change).
Each system would have its own specific bonus associated with releating to some property of that system. I have not however worked these out so I hope I could get suggestions in this topic for bonuses.

Every faction holds their home system. So every faction would get this "home system bonus". So what would be different? You just said yourself that nobody uses home system's - well yeah, thats not where the front line is. Why would you attack a home system when you have no way of reinforcing yourself?

Lawman
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-07-01 12:19   
Ok its obvious that I didn't elaborate enough on my idea.

So here is how these bonuses would work.
Each factions home cluster of systems would have (relatively) powerful bonuses associated with each individual systems (since these systems are 'developed' core worlds of that faction) these bonuses in the home clusters would act as useful enhancements to a factions ships and planets but would benefit the original owner the most. For example the faction holding Barnard's Star would have increased fighter effectiveness. This would benefit all factions but would obviously benefit the UGTO the most. None of the bonuses given by a star system would be applicable to one faction only, they must be useful to all factions.

Holding systems in other ('frontier') clusters would confer different advantages depending on the 'theme' of the cluster. Which I will list here and explain the general characteristics the bonuses the systems in those clusters will share.
Procyon: Since the systems in Procyon are so rich in resources the bonuses here will in general aid in development of systems and extraction of resources.
Ursa Minor: Since this is the beginners area the bonuses here will be designed mainly to aid aspects of ships classes and the activities of players below the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
Rogen's Rift: Similar to Ursa Minor this will give bonuses to ships classes between the Lieutenant Commander and 1st rear admiral.
Sagittarius: In order to shake up this mainly static fighting area the bonuses here are mainly designed to aid in the capturing of planets.

A systems bonus will also be visible from a new bonuses in the f# commands.

Now what I need is suggestions on specific bonuses and a general consensus on exactly how powerful these bonuses should be.
So fire away!

Email Lawman   Goto the website of Lawman
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-01 14:36   
good ideas, but I'd lean towards a tighter resource system and supply lines. In simple words, make more applications for resouce; have it cost resource to repair ships, have ships and modifications cost more, increase the cost of building and bring back planetary AI transports with a new system to determine "need." That way, players must fight for planets to literally fuel their war machine.

Email Sens [R33]
cctv dude99
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-03 10:36   
I just think Sag should be reset. It would break the stalemate and spice things up a little. I think every so often (say annually) we should clear up the dust and cobwebs on Sag and just make it go 'bang'. Then it would 're-bang' soon after. I got that idea off another game where you have perma-servers and other servers which will just go bang after a cetain amount of time, then after a day or two it would 're-bang' and just start a fresher server. What I'm saying is, on the perma servers on that game, the people who started first dominate the server, or it just goes stale due to ridiculous defense build up over time, meaning nothing is capturable. However, on the servers that reset, no one just comes along and makes it boring for anyone else to play.

I will subscribe in Two Weeks™...

Page created in 0.014760 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR