Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Player of the.... M W D!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author Player of the.... M W D!
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2007-03-27 14:18   
I say don't worry about this at all. DS isn't a contest about who's the best individual player. And it's not a contest about who plays the most (which highest prestige every week would clearly suggest).

There's no easy way to say, every week, who is the most valuable player for their faction. And that's what truly counts right? Who's the most valuable to their faction? What about someone who consistenly brings ecm cover but who gets no prestige for it? What about the scout pilot who consistently beacons Kluth?

I do have a feeling that a regular award like this would promote more solo/rambo play than teamwork. Not saying it's a bad idea completly, just saying it's not worth worrying about how to determine who's the best every week.

Musiqsoulman
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2007-03-27 14:32   
Ops... Sorry I forgot I'm talking to a lot of Americans to whom the spirit of competition is a great deal.

My idea was much more relaxed, like a friendly "and the winner is..." but you would probably turn into a fierce deathful competition!

I already see people playing the "Eye of the tiger" and exercise their fingers with a U.S. flag on the background to get the acclaimed victory badge.

Jokes apart, mine was just a proposition, but I do like the fact that so many gave their opinion about it!

Thanks a lot!

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2007-03-27 14:59   
Quote:

On 2007-03-27 14:32, Musiqsoulman Koyaanisqatsi *FM* wrote:
Ops... Sorry I forgot I'm talking to a lot of Americans to whom the spirit of competition is a great deal.

My idea was much more relaxed, like a friendly "and the winner is..." but you would probably turn into a fierce deathful competition!

I already see people playing the "Eye of the tiger" and exercise their fingers with a U.S. flag on the background to get the acclaimed victory badge.

Jokes apart, mine was just a proposition, but I do like the fact that so many gave their opinion about it!

Thanks a lot!

Good idea in practice, though.

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-03-27 16:00   
Quote:

On 2007-03-27 14:32, Musiqsoulman Koyaanisqatsi *FM* wrote:

Remember, countries over in europe... "soccer" as us americans call it has more problems with crazy fans than the US does We dont tip over cars and set buildings on fire if our team loses.

Musiqsoulman
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2007-03-27 16:28   
Quote:

Remember, countries over in europe... "soccer" as us americans call it has more problems with crazy fans than the US does We dont tip over cars and set buildings on fire if our team loses.

Fact I'm italian doesn't mean I like soccer. In fact I don't anymore, and I cannot really stand the Ultras or as you call them hooligans.

Fact you're american doesn't mean you're nuts for competitions.

That's why I was just joking!

[ This Message was edited by: Musiqsoulman Koyaanisqatsi *FM* on 2007-03-27 16:29 ]

Musiqsoulman
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2007-03-27 16:32   
Quote:

We dont tip over cars and set buildings on fire if our team loses.

A quick reminder:
Quote:

# The 1974 Ten Cent Beer Night at a baseball game at Cleveland Stadium which caused the Cleveland Indians to forfeit to the Texas Rangers after some of the drunken fans started a riot.
# Disco Demolition Night started out as a tongue-in-cheek effigy burning of disco records between doubleheader games involving the Chicago White Sox and Detroit Tigers on July 12, 1979. The event turned into a riot, although no major damage was caused. The White Sox were forced to forfeit the second game.
# A victory celebration in Detroit, Michigan after the 1990 NBA Finals degenerated into a riot that left 7 dead.
# Three people died in a riot in Chicago, Illinois after the Chicago Bulls won the 1993 NBA championship.
# The 1994 Stanley Cup riot occurred in Downtown Vancouver, Canada, on the evening of June 14, 1994 and continued into the following morning. The riot arose from the result of Game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals in which the Vancouver Canucks lost to the New York Rangers.
# New York Rangers fans who sat in the famed blue seats in the 1970s and 1980s at Madison Square Garden were notorious for their excesses in terms of salty language, physicality, and alcohol. It was not an uncommon site for Rangers fans to set fire to the jerseys of opposing fans of local rivals the Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils, and the New York Islanders. Fights in the stands when these teams and their fans visiting MSG were numerous, and well documented in the local papers at the time. Rangers and Islanders fans even had a mass brawl in the bleachers of Shea Stadium during a New York Mets baseball game after a bitter playoff series between the two teams.
# Though no major incidents have occurred, the intense rivalry between the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees has created volatile environments for fans and players. The worst conflict occurred when members of the Yankee bullpen were involved in a fight with a member of the Fenway Park grounds crew inside the visitors bullpen during the 2003 ALCS. Two Yankee players were charged in the incident, although the charges were dropped. The fans of the two teams are always fighting, both verbally, and physically. The bleachers at both Yankee Stadium and Fenway park can create a very favorable environment for fights when the teams play each other, especially when they meet during the playoffs.
# September 20, 2003: A San Francisco Giants fan in the Dodger Stadium parking lot shot a Los Angeles Dodgers fan. "Apparently we have multiple suspects who are Giants fans who got into an argument with a Dodger fan," Officer Adriana Sanchez, a police spokeswoman said.
# On December 23, 2003, The Islanders held a promotion which invited fans to dress up as Santa Claus for free admission to the game against the Philadelphia Flyers. The fans were permitted to parade across the ice between periods, along with the almost one thousand other Santa-fans. Several santas removed their red jackets to reveal the famed blue jerseys of their hated rival Rangers, thus resulting in fans of the Rangers, Islanders, and Flyers fighting each other.
# In Boston, Massachusetts, a wild victory celebration in the streets outside Fenway Park after the Red Sox won the 2004 ALCS led to the death of Victoria Snelgrove by riot police. Snelgrove's death was caused by a "non-lethal" projectile (a pepper spray pellet fired from an FN 303).
# At an NBA game in Detroit on November 19, 2004, Indiana Pacers player Ron Artest stormed into the stands to chase after a fan who threw a cup at his head. This caused the game to be stopped with 45.7 seconds remaining. Artest was suspended by the NBA for the remainder of the season (73 games), and other Pacers players faced lesser suspensions and legal charges. The incident was dubbed the Malice at the Palace.
# Fans of the Philadelphia Eagles have a widespread reputation for excessive and sometimes-violent behavior. In 1997, a small municipal courthouse and jail were established in Veterans Stadium (the Eagles' previous home field), to deal with fans who commit breaches of the peace during Eagles' home games. When the Lincoln Financial Field (the team's current stadium) opened in 2003, it was equipped with similar facilities. This, along with increased patrols by plainclothes police officers, has greatly reduced incidents of fan violence at Eagles' games. Traveling Eagles fans also got into an incident during a September 16, 2002 Monday Night Football game against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field. A fight with Redskins fans resulted in police using tear gas to control the crowd.
# Fans of the Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns (see Dawg Pound), New England Patriots and Washington Redskins have a reputation for excessive behavior at football games.[citation needed]
# Fans of Western Carolina University men's basketball team have used the term Hunter's Hooligans for many years in support of Larry Hunter.

AND YES you still have less problem than us

LAG
Marshal
Lethal Assault Group

Posted: 2007-03-27 16:55   
Holy crap... the quantity of examples is ridiculous, damn. I decided to just FF to the end and leave this post reply. Give it a reasonable mention vs. choke the hell outta the thread. Damn... ...talk about anal!

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2007-03-27 17:44   
awards forum-esque place

players nominate player of the month or week (day would get tedious) for each faction and give a motivation for why that person deserves the award

players vote for their favourite candidate

so you get the awards, you get the motivation to play more, and you get a kind of taverny "he slew 5 dragons with one arrow!" kind of storytelling aspect which could be fun.

we already have a bomber/supply/fighter of the month system, its called "looking at the stats page every month"

Peter Wiggin
Midshipman

Posted: 2007-03-27 20:28   
Quote:

On 2007-03-27 17:44, Lark of Serenity wrote:

we already have a bomber/supply/fighter of the month system, its called "looking at the stats page every month"

As a few others pointed out, it doesnt show who gained the most in the past month. Usuall the top 5 pages stay the same for weeks/months.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2007-03-27 23:54   
Quote:

On 2007-03-27 17:44, Lark of Serenity wrote:
players nominate player of the month or week (day would get tedious)

Isn't it rather requisite in DarkSpace to have the awards given biweekly?

Nothing else really makes sense in the context of this place, after all.

Email Shigernafy
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.017278 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR