No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » space objects
 Author space objects
whitefire330
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-13 13:16   
dont know if this has been suggested or not.....

I think it would be intresting if there were black holes.

depending on size: there feild of gravity pull
strength of pull

it would be just like a tractor beam just a little stonger, weaker or even a LOT stronger,

and just like dictors, if you tried jumping through it you would be stoped and have to fight the gravitational pull

and because once your in therese no getting out of the center, you blow up!

this would be another thing to add to the realism of the game in the aspects of the space theme and you could probaly make them look really cool

whitefire330
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-13 13:17   

Comets.......

whitefire330
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-13 13:20   

Supernovas,
the only problem with this is that if one of the stars blows to bits the planets would be lost, and mess the game up

but that doesnt mean you cant add more stars to blow up

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-13 14:50   
we could have moving meteors...not the laval planets..but like actuall chunks of rock on a set course flying around...get hit with and watch your ship's hull drop down to nothing XD

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2005-06-13 18:56   
actually when you knock a meteor out of orbit it keeps flying through the game, one of the reasons for periodic reboots of the MV is to clear out those rogues.

There has been mention of comets for some time, once abstract orbit eccentricity is coded in. (non circular orbits)

Blackholes have been discused but no clue where that chip fell.

Email Tael
whitefire330
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-14 12:26   
that suprises me,

i would think it would be easy to get oval orbit paths

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-06-14 12:49   
Easy, but could lead to problems. Orbits like neptune and pluto would collide if it weren't for the z-axis, which DS lacks. No problem if you just seperate the orbits far enough, but it reduces the degree of eccentricity available.

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-06-14 13:04   
Aside from black holes, which would be tricky to model without in falling matter to light it up, what about neutron stars, pulsars, young stars in the heart of star forming nebula, red giants, white dwarfs etc?

It's a shame the MV only has one background image to cover the whole thing. If each star had it's own background, you could easily create a rich environment for the star type. So for instance, nebula are in reality vast expanses of space that span 100s of lightyears. A background would be better to show it than the current cpu heavy gas clouds. Black-holes too, would have an eccretion disc only representable by background images. Pulsars usually sit in dense highly energised nebula, like the crap nebular for instance.
It would kind of undermine what Faustus did with the whole 1.481 patch though, so maybe not eh.

Quote:

depending on size: there feild of gravity pull
strength of pull

You wouldn't really notice any different a pull from a stellar mass black-hole than to our sun. To feel the gravity sheer, you'd have to be pretty much inside where the corona of our sun would be.

You'd have to have a bigger BH. If it was a textured 3d affair, you'd run into trouble with the size of it, but since it'd be just black you could keep it 2d and facing the player, maybe with an optical effect around its circumference to bend the background stars. Fill the rest of the system with fast orbiting inferno planets and gas clouds and you're there. Would be a fairly pointless system gameplay wise, unless it had incredible rare resourses there to mine with extractors or something.

[ This Message was edited by: c0ldfury on 2005-06-14 15:58 ]

Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-16 01:54   
Can't you write code that causes an asteroid to dissapear after it's traveled a certain distance from it's spawn point?

whitefire330
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2005-06-16 12:09   
i know that black holes pull all matter in, including light, no need for it to be 100% textbook correct, and since gravity has been brought up a lot in the lobby and else where.......gravity is in the game weither it was intentional or not, for example, satiltes and telescopes dont just orbit earth, they are constantly moving. they are at the right distance away that they will not be pulled into earth, they keep falling around and around and around while gravity keeps it just at the right distance to the planet, this is also how most telescopes and deep space sattilites are sent out in space... except that in stead of staying close enough to the planet they basicly sling shot themselfs away.... and like i said 6 or 7 posts above, the feild of the black holes pull (gravity) can be just like a tractor beam,

i know you dont want to have to have all matter pulled in to it,
just like the worm holes, come up with a object to represent the black hole,
and i know the devs dont lack the artistic ability to come up with graphics for black holes,
for the feild of gravitational pull of the black hole it can look like a never ending pulse, just lighter and more loose
color doesnt matter

and someone said earlier that there should be some sort of advantage to have a black hole (rare resources) an example could be have random asteroids spawn and start to go to the black hole, but instead of the regular metal and hvy metal, have rare resources

lol sorry if this jumps around but i just typed as stuff came to my head

[ This Message was edited by: whitefire330 on 2005-06-16 12:11 ]

Lawman
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-06-16 15:11   
Quote:

On 2005-06-13 13:20, whitefire330 wrote:

Supernovas,
the only problem with this is that if one of the stars blows to bits the planets would be lost, and mess the game up

but that doesnt mean you cant add more stars to blow up

A supernova requires explanation, in the form of story and/or cutscence with the loss of gideon who seemed to be our resident writer I dont think you will have these until much later.

Email Lawman   Goto the website of Lawman
Trekkie_zero
Cadet

Posted: 2005-06-16 16:14   
I wouldnt mind seeing planets collide that would be kinda funny, planet was mirved too much knocked out of orbit and collides with another planet with a nearby orbit... like Sirius 4 and Sirius 1... creating Sirius 1a which is a massive inferno planet with a slightly lost speed and on a different orbit but its wishful thinking and would be near impossibel to code...

c0ld
Midshipman

Posted: 2005-06-17 13:06   
It's just occurred to me that maybe in the distant future, the map editor.exe could be made powerful enough to allow people to create these weird and wonderful systems.

Currently, as far as I know, A new planet type or star type is added to the game via the resourcer is it not? Maybe if the editor could deal with this you could allow players to create very unique maps.

So say, when you are inserting a noun onto the map, it would give you an option to load a file from your local Hd, a 3D textured model from 3dsmax say. The editor would then convert it to the proper format and include it into the map.

When published, the file relating to the noun would be flagged as an update, so that players' clients would automatically download the necessary files to run the map.

That way you'd allow amatuers and pros alike to custom design maps from the ground up and easily have players give them feed-back.

Page created in 0.017882 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR