No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Ship Rarity, Badges, and You
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author Ship Rarity, Badges, and You
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-27 11:25   
Quote:

On 2008-06-27 10:42, CrashDown wrote:
sorry but people do fly cruisers and dessies all the time, even in the current version. so your dreadspace argument is flawed and will be flawed.

People only use cruisers and dessies because dreads are so weak this version.

Quote:

the only problem i see is with the new tractor beams the permanently blow any chance of flying a small ship.

currently 2 - 3 dessies can easily take out a dread and they do so, with the new tractors you just suspend a dessie in mid space and hammer at it with you 24 cannons.

Hm. Thats interesting. I wonder if thats even possible to happen.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-06-27 12:06   
Quote:

On 2008-06-27 10:42, CrashDown wrote:
sorry but people do fly cruisers and dessies all the time, even in the current version. so your dreadspace argument is flawed and will be flawed.

Man, do people always set up themselves for failure this easily?

Okay, you just proved my point as to why Dreadnoughts will become more common than cruisers or dessies.

Are you ready for it?

In 1.483, cruisers and destroyers are better than dreadnoughts.

Whoh. Crazy right? Thats why MOST PEOPLE USE THEM.

Same thing applies in 1.5.

Dreadnoughts are BETTER than cruisers and destroyers.

Do you think they're still going to fly cruisers and destroyers the majority of the time?

lolno.

-Ent

CrashDown
Cadet

Posted: 2008-06-27 13:20   
meh lets let F decide.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2008-06-27 14:35   
Crash... you are officially banned from any input process from this point forth...

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2008-06-27 19:55   
Your arguements are insanely flawed, Ent.

Dreadnoughts are AWESOMELY better for SOME things. Not all. They do more damage, and can take more damage than cruisers, but cruisers can ultimately run faster, jump quicker, and turn faster. There are advantages on both sides, and we've given the pilots in lesser ships abilities to avoid the larger ships to a certain extent.

We've explained this over and over, and discussing it anymore is fruitless.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-06-27 22:07   
Quote:[/small]

On 2008-06-27 19:55, BackSlash *Jack* wrote:
Your arguements are insanely flawed, Ent.

Dreadnoughts are AWESOMELY better for SOME things. Not all. They do more damage, and can take more damage than cruisers, but cruisers can ultimately run faster, jump quicker, and turn faster. There are advantages on both sides, and we've given the pilots in lesser ships abilities to avoid the larger ships to a certain extent.

We've explained this over and over, and discussing it anymore is fruitless.

[/quote]

Yeah, because I'm not a Dev, I know nothing about balance, I haven't played since DS first came out, I dont know anything, I dont have skill yadda yadda yadda.

Attempting to argue with you is less effective than beating my head against a wall.

Since you choose not read previous posts which already covered this, Ill humor you instead.

The advantages, that Dreadnoughts possess are as you said, superior firepower and superior armor. Their disadvantages, are, less manueverability, larger target, and slower speed.

This is supposed to allow cruisers to have the advantage of, while having less firepower and armor, are more manueverable, are a smaller target, and are faster. In 1.5 it is evident that all these things are present and accounted for.

But dreadnoughts are still better. Because : they can overcome two of their disadvantages with something as simple as point jumping. Superior speed is no match for the 2.6k gu/sec jump that lands 100gu from your rear, and no manueverability lets you avoid weapons at that point blank range, neither does speed, neither does a smaller target. A cruiser or smaller ship would be forced to jump away, whereupon the whole cycle starts anew.

Of course, if this fleet combat, and other dreadnoughts were present, a second dreadnought could simply be directed to jump on top of the new jump-less target and give it a good thrashing. It likely wont kill it, but it would defnitely do more damage in that one alpha than the cruiser can return.

As stated, a dictor can combat this, but then dictors are energy consumers, and are forced to fly at reduced speed, therefore effecting their manueverability as well. It makes them much easier targets than regular cruisers, I myself didn't have a problem forcing a dictor to run in a Battle Dreadnought. I imagine a group of them could do it even better.

I've explained this over and over but it is also fruitless. People at once believe (and show!) that Dreadnoughts are superior but then turn around and say they aren't all that bad the moment anyone critisizes them. Again, I don't want them to be nerfed, but the fact is that while alone they are formidable, in numbers they are a force that more than likely upsets the balance intended by 1.5, as in every other version where Dreadnoughts happened to be in the majority. Hence the whole point of limiting their numbers...

If you still go deny, deny deny that cruisers in numbers are better, that Dreadnoughts in numbers isn't feasible, that people prefer to fly smaller ships, then I can't really offer any more factual, logical evidence than I already have. If you choose to believe that is distorted, well that is your view. But I agree, there is little point arguing further.

Release will argue more effectively than I. Whether wrong or right doesn't matter, I'm just offering a suggestion to a very real and possible danger, which, if not addressed if it does occur, will only result in the same stagnation that other versions have continually shown to happen when one class or ship has come to be seen as 'better' than the rest.

As an edit here, I want to also offer this point:

Ship classes are designed around being able to take on their own ship class right? They're only supposed to be marginally effective against lower and bigger classes of ships. I was suggesting with badges, just to limit the amount of dreadnoughts potentially in play.

But there are other solutions.

With other classes, there isnt as pronounced as a problem as there are with Dreadnoughts. They need to be strong, but they can't be too effective against smaller ships, because again, then using smaller ships is redundant if you dont have to.

But you can't make Dreadnoughts so weak that smaller ships can trump them without superior numbers. Otherwise dreadnoughts are redundant and most people wont touch them.

Thus you have to get a balance. And thats insanely hard. For dreadnoughts, I think the root problem, and the main reason why they can get over their disadvantages against smaller ships is because of the infamous point-jump.

There have been many suggestions as to how to address that. The main one I've heard, is randomizing manual jumps, but I also came up with one.

Simply, why not make it so that a if a ship will exit a jump within 200gu of another ship, it stops them 200gu away. That way, it doesn't allow a Dreadnought to get within 200gu of a ship instantly, which is its main engagement zone. Against smaller ships, it allows them plenty of room to utilize their speed and manueverability, preserving balance.

It doesn't hinder dreadnought to dreadnought combat, because closing the distance is very possible within a few seconds, so it keeps its role. Some food for thought.

-Ent

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2008-06-28 04:40 ]

GothThug {C?}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-28 03:22   
all of you have made some interesting points...but jack just hear him out...i dont think it'll hurt you to hear what he has to say....i do believe a new system needs to be introduced....but thats all im goin to say....let History be Darkspace's Judge...and then you decide

Email GothThug {C?}
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-06-28 17:04   
Quote:
On 2008-06-27 22:07, Enterprise wrote:
Superior speed is no match for the 2.6k gu/sec jump that lands 100gu from your rear, and no manueverability lets you avoid weapons at that point blank range, neither does speed, neither does a smaller target. A cruiser or smaller ship would be forced to jump away, whereupon the whole cycle starts anew.

That just reminded me of something, do you remember you needed to go 0.0gu/s before you could jump ?
/me feels of for still remembering this.

I know its a old feature but if you want to reduce the point jumping just re-introduce this old feature with a new twist.
Might be a little difficult but with a combination of ship levels this might be a nice feature to only allow ships to jump if there below ~1/3 or ~1/4 of max speed.

P.s. I think this topic just totally went off topic.

Smartin
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-28 23:49   
Quote:

On 2008-06-28 17:04, Eledore[NL] wrote:

I know its a old feature but if you want to reduce the point jumping just re-introduce this old feature with a new twist.
Might be a little difficult but with a combination of ship levels this might be a nice feature to only allow ships to jump if there below ~1/3 or ~1/4 of max speed.

P.s. I think this topic just totally went off topic.

In my opinion point jumping a target that is moving while you are moving is an art. It takes practice and skill. I would hate to see that part of the game go away.

DarkSpace Community Website

Email Smartin
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-29 00:18   
Quote:

On 2008-06-28 23:49, Smartin wrote:

In my opinion point jumping a target that is moving while you are moving is an art. It takes practice and skill. I would hate to see that part of the game go away.

Theirs a mathmatical formula to it, and it's incredibly easy once you know it.

I just wish I knew the formula.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-06-29 02:34   
Quote:

On 2008-06-28 23:49, Smartin wrote:

i totally agree with smartin, Point jumping while moving is an art not easily mastered. please don't take it away.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2008-06-29 03:03   
Quote:

On 2008-06-27 22:07, Enterprise wrote:
Simply, why not make it so that a if a ship will exit a jump within 200gu of another ship, it stops them 200gu away. That way, it doesn't allow a Dreadnought to get within 200gu of a ship instantly, which is its main engagement zone. Against smaller ships, it allows them plenty of room to utilize their speed and manueverability, preserving balance.

It doesn't hinder dreadnought to dreadnought combat, because closing the distance is very possible within a few seconds, so it keeps its role. Some food for thought.

-Ent

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2008-06-28 04:40 ]

what? 200 gu isnt that realistic. Point jumps do take a fair bit of skill. you should die if you are point-jumped by a dread because you have presented yourself as dinner, fresh and bleeding

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-06-29 04:52   
Point jumping is a skill? An ART? When did that happen?

For being such a coveted skill, it sure seems people don't have trouble learning to use it well.

I think you gents should take a good long hard look at what constitutes skill and what is common knowledge. There are few people who have flown a dreadnought and can't pull a point-jump off.

-Ent

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-06-29 05:05   
so i guess skill isn't doing a point jump withiin 100 GU, or rotating armor to alleviate the arc bug in the middle of a battle. what is skill then, ent? please tell us.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2008-06-29 06:18   
Quote:[/small]

On 2008-06-29 05:05, leonide *EP5* wrote:
so i guess skill isn't doing a point jump withiin 100 GU, or rotating armor to alleviate the arc bug in the middle of a battle. what is skill then, ent? please tell us.

Skill is:

Dodging well.

Managing your energy.

Using any class of ships' advantage to its greatest effect while minimizing its disadvantages (note: not to be confused inherently overpowered ships).

Utilizing specific factions advantages to the detriment of your enemies.

Not deeming spacebar as the solution to all your problems (aka conserving energy by timing shots to deal maximum effect).

In the case of armor based ships, constantly maneuvering your ship so that utilizes the maximum amount of armor absorption possible (aka, forcing enemies to reduce total armor to zero before hitting your hull).

In the case of shields, actively moving shield percentage around to utilize the maximum amount of shield absorption possible (aka, forcing all enemies to stay on one side of your ship).

Also inversely, recognizing the ways to combat specfic opposing faction advantages (surrounding ICC ships, concentrating fire on a single arc against Kluth/UGTO targets).

Recognizing the advantages of individual weapons/gadgets in using them appropriately (stagering ELF beams, using Flux Wave on armorless targets, using CLs at minimum range).

Inversely, recognizing those advantages and having ways prepared to avoid them. (staying out of range of CLs, dodging, short-jumping).

Working with different classes of ships with teamwork to the disadvantage and be capable of adapting to any situation or enemy force.

Manuevering to take advantage of a ships weak arcs (read: EADs).

And possible numerous other things which I can't think of at the moment. Those are things that require constant assement and adapability in almost any situation. They are present in every ship, on every faction. They require you have experience and the ability to utilize it to your advantage.

Skill is not:

Using overwhelming numbers to kill an enemy ship.

Using overpower ships, weapons or tactics to spacebar spam enemy ships.

Using weapons or abilitys in ways they were not intended to achieve effects which circumvent the disadvantages that every ship is supposed to have.

Using tactics which exploit the disadvantages that some ships are not intended to have.

Point jumping is not a skill in the true sense of the word. It is primarily a Dreadnought class ship tactic, that is used to overcome its supposed disadvantages of manueverability and speed. It does not find applications beyond Dreadnought class ships, as smaller ships generally do not want to get closer than they have to. Stations do not use point jump because a five minute timer is infeasible against anything except other stations.

Given this speciality, I would more recognize point-jumping as a tactic, and one that is not hard or difficult to learn and master, and In my opinion, is currently far too powerful.

As a note, armor rotation is not a skill either, it is an ability in which allows armor based ships in 1.483 to circumvent the arc bug. It was no way intended as a feature, and in 1.5 it will not be possible.

I think that covers it.

-Ent

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2008-06-29 06:38 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022295 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR