No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » DarkSpace marine..
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author DarkSpace marine..
Ash'elth
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-08-06 14:42   
Ya know I wonder if you could link the Ground Assault to the MV...

Ya know, ground commanders could wait around in the lobby utill their flee needed someone to command their invasion force. And have the results of that battle determine the capturing of the planet.

If multiple people want to command just split the invading forces evenly? Let the commander with the highest kill ratio capture the planet for his fleet?

Let rank determine what sort of equipment you can outfit your troops with?

If it ends up being a RTS or a FPS I think either would work I guess.

Oh! and figure out some way for events like bombing in the DS side effect troops in the ground server. Maybe like the distruction of 15% of the total number of ground units = a 15% reduction in each unit's life?

I just think it's be really fun to be fighting a battle in space trying to buy enough times for your ground forces to capture the defense bases so you can shift the tide of the battle.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-08-10 18:24   
Actually, thats exactly what I'm thinking..

When you drop troops on a planet in the MV, then a new server would appear in a different lobby for those playing "DarkSpace Trooper"..

The ground server would then be linked to the space side server.. thus if someone dropped bombs on the planet, players on the ground would see the incoming bombs and the resulting nuclear explosion

Once the battle is resolve, the ground players go onto the next available ground battle.

The big question is how to implement gameplay... either C&C style real-time strategy or first person battle zone / tribes style combat. I'm leaning towards the latter, since the engine could be used for more things, such as walking around the interior of your ship.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2002-08-10 18:59   
i thnk it would be better with a tribes stille version
that way we can invade ships aswell

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-11 08:46   
offtopic: this all seems really cool but DS has got some Seirous balance problems and a few bugs' (luna has been around for along time)

Shouldnt those be fixed first before we get cool new ideas to add to the game?

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2002-08-12 17:14   
Darkspace-Darkening field? just an idea for the name

tribes style for sure

probably barthezzz

Deleted
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-13 00:54   
hmmm., why release a while new version of the game.. or expansion... when the code for landing on planets could be added for transports and maybe other ships.... you hit a really kewl cutscene of your ship entering the atmosphere and touching down while that level of game play loads.. I think it should be a stradagy BTW..

That would give a real upside to risking your backside to get troops to the ground Via Transport.
'
oh and I like DarkSpace-Ground Assualt and a choice of mine..

DarkSpace-Special Forces

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-08-13 08:28   
Perhaps, thats my plan for the long term... however, I'm looking to do this in manageble steps... and making a seperate client, which can go through a seperate alpha/beta test before release make sense at the moment....

All this, is basically to flush out the first person engine..

Aside from that, it just seems like a good ideal to provide it as a seperate client because now the players interested in more in-depth gameplay can play the space side of things... those looking for quick action, and to kill things could go into the Marine lobby.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2002-08-14 07:33   
Ok ok , IC now.. ^_^ .. testing the engine in a separate lobby to make shur it workds properaly then adding to to the darkspace engine as an option to transports and such.. BRILLIANT! ^_^

Wolver{RIP R33}
Cadet

Posted: 2002-08-14 10:10   
I like DarkSpace - Invaders.

DarkSpace - Troopers sounds too much like Starship Troopers.

Why not create an official Poll to see what everyone thinks Faustus?

\"I wasn't sleeping Chief. It's just that I haven't gotten much sleep these last few nights. I forgot how. So I was just practicing!\" - Dropo \"The Laziest Man on Mars\"

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-08-18 22:25   
How about DarkSpace: Planet Side

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-19 01:04   
my ideas:
DarkSpace - Night Stalker
DarkSpace - Desert Strike
DarkSpace - BattleFortress

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2002-08-23 15:08   
Considering its going to be about the planetary assualt, look at actual military terms:

Darkspace - D-Day
Darkspace - Beachhead
Darkspace - Occupation
Darkspace - Taskforce
D.E.F. - Darkspace Expeditionary Force (Taken from the Marine amphibious taskforces - MEF, Marine Expeditionary Force, and subunits MEU, Marine Expeditionary Unit)
Darkspace - Planet Sieage
Darkspace - Global Conflict
Darkspace - Forward Unit Commander
Darkspace - General
Darkspace - Theater Command
Darkspace - Planetary Assault
Darkspace - G.M.F. (Ground Mobile Force)
Darkspace - G.O.C. (Ground Operations Command)

Email Tael
Mystikal
Vice Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2002-09-29 19:01   
rofl i have ground control too and yes it is a flop anyways
is there like tanks and stuff so we can run over/blow infantry up with =P?

SkyLander
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-09-29 20:38   
Faustus I think that you should look at a new game coming out called Breed. I think that if you want to make a cool new 1st person darkspace I a lot of the ideas in that game could be ported over to your 1st person type game. Just thought, I just think that it would be great if you were in a fighter and you could fly down to the planet and land and walk around on the planet this is just about to be bombed .

Ash'elth
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-10-01 11:55   
Quote:

On 2002-08-10 18:24, Faustus wrote:
Actually, thats exactly what I'm thinking..

The big question is how to implement gameplay... either C&C style real-time strategy or first person battle zone / tribes style combat. I'm leaning towards the latter, since the engine could be used for more things, such as walking around the interior of your ship.

-Richard

My thoughts on RTS vs FPS

RTS-- Would be excellent for planetary invasions, really give you the feel to be a ground commander trying to take a planet of fight off the enemy.

Gain rank doing certain things which will allow you to command more units/better units.

Personally, this would be my preference.

However I see some problems with this approach.

1) What do you do if you have multiple people who are playing on each side?
--How do you divvy up troops?
--Is control based off of rank?
2) What about reinforcements from orbit/rax?
3) How will you determine what sort of troops get landed?
--Basically with landed troops act as a resource pool for the ground commanders (elite = 100 resources, Hardened 50, Vet 25 and green 10??) then the commanders can spawn whatever sort of units they desire from landing points?
--Or will the troops available be determined solely by the orbital ships?
4) Fleet preference
--Say GTN was capping a planet, is there any way we could make sure that a GTN general would command our forces? (Say set a 30 sec limit on the spawned ground combat server, giving members of the same fleet a chance to join before opening it up to the rest of the faction)
5) Planet build structure
--Some planets are built so the inf are isolated behind buildings, now in a RTS unless you figured out some way to have the map be directly related to planet structure; or the infantry landing system will have to be revamped.
What I'm badly explaining here is. Trapped inf is a nice delaying tactic from the orbital perspective of the planet. However I'm not sure how well that will be translated into a RTS version.
6) What about player controlled ship boarding?
--This would rock Assign ships x numbers of troops as a default for ship defence and the boarders have a chance to defeat the marines+ship autodefenses in an attempt to take it over or simply smash what systems. However, I think this would be a much better FPS feature

FPS:

This would probably be a better way to have a full ranking system impletmented. You have access to skills, and the more you use certain skills you better you get at them and the better equipment you gain.

--Demolitions, Medic, Stealth, etc etc.

Also it would probably be easier to create a random map generator that would correlate planitary structures into the field of combat. On a minus side, the maps would probably be pretty blocky and repitious.

Largest problem I see: 0wnage.

A few top ranked people from the PGL after gaining some rank would be unstoppable.

We'd probably see 1 or 2 people who can without losing a troop/life wipe out entire armys.

also:

1) How to resolve army sizes.

There will be a limit to how much the engine can handle, how many players and how many AIs are running around. Obviously we can't have the battles be only PVP since it doesn't make sense to have a 2 on 2 skirmish represent 16 elites vs 22 elites.

The way I was picturing this was each side would have x number of bots running around doing stuff (of random rank) plus the players and as each side suffers losses your side loses resources (better eqipment = more resources so a high ranking player with top of the line stuff would cost more to one army than a recruit with a default rifle).

2)Ship combat
Ok, this to me is what FPS DS SCREAMS.

Running around corridors trying to avoid the ships defenders while you try to make it to the engine room to smashy smashy Or, defeat the marines on board and reach the bridge and sieze the ship!

Or on the flip side, chasing the attackers through the passageways of the ship, activating autodefenses and locking doors to delay them.

____

Anyhoo, here's my two cents overall.

RTS for planet invasions. Get this done first please! PRETTY PLEASE!

Then after that is up, work on a FPS for boarding parties.

This way you can walk around your ship, but you can also have quick and dirty firefights and have teammates try to sieze enemy ships!

*Just imagine being the person to capture a Kluth Siphon, then getting that ship in storage

mmmm

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023273 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR