Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Long term goals...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Long term goals...
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2002-07-27 17:06   
That is, Gideon, a wonderful idea.

Email Shigernafy
Dormio Niggling
Cadet
Agents

Posted: 2002-07-29 07:31   
Super !!!

Draslin
Cadet

Posted: 2002-08-04 11:12   
I like the idea of adding fighter combat, but adding FPS ground combat sound difficult to implement well. If its going to hav eany bearing on the MV, it has to be dependant on the MV. I.E. When all the troops on that planet are dead, what do you do? Calling for a friendly transport ship, and being ferried to another planet would be excellent. If its just a simple client menu where you exit and enter repeatedly to switch planets, that to me doesn't do much for the immersion. It doesn't feel like your really a part of the multiverse. Same with the fighters, if your not part of the same conflict that everyone else is, then you've effectively created another game, thats seperate from Dark Space.
To me at least, its important that there is a connection between you and anyone else in the game.
If your fighting on the ground you need to know that someone in orbit can bomb a facility for you, drop reserves to or Evac your unit of people, or get you to the next planet. (Through AI controlled transports perhaps)
If your a fighter you need to fly in support of the capital ships, take down incoming mirv's, when there's no fighting to reside in a hanger within those capital ships. If you don't pay attention, you could get left behind when the battle group moves on.
These things are important for the cohesion of the conflict between all players. The fighter and capital ship interaction is much easier to pull off than the ground combat. To me, the FPS should be interactive with the MV. And Vice Versa.

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-10-20 14:00   
How about in game fighters that attack enemy fighters not just enemy ships

Samweis
Cadet

Posted: 2002-10-20 14:17   
This will come with the next update Take a look to the Dev Log

Email Samweis
Zurai {RIP R33}
Cadet

Posted: 2002-10-20 14:36   
Actually I'd prefer RTS ground combat to FPS ground combat. That would do a better job of representing the large numbers of troops, IMO. I mean, imagine - planets have 32 defending troops, that means the invaders HAVE to drop at least 50 to have a good chance to win all other things being equal. That's 82 military units... it'd be far better in a rts interface where you're ordering the individual units around than in a FPS where you're either one man in a unit or a one-man unit (which is really kinda silly).

Just my opinion.

Email Zurai {RIP R33}
ShadowWarrior [**]
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2002-10-22 19:51   
89 units of troops+70% of them playerz=llllaaaaaggggg

Deleted
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2002-10-23 03:28   
well i am very sore so cant type much... all i can say is if we go through these other sims (fighter/inf) it will have to be totally new games... as you said new clients as i cant see people orbiting a planet then going into "ground mode" and running around with inf... it could be easy for someone to come up to your ship and shoot and you wouldnt know... also this will mean ships cannot cap planets as the troop sim will be the capping part unless the troop sim is a manual way of capping planets and just dropping inf in the mv is the easy drive through kinda way... id like to see more detail tho... i love technicality in things... codes... errors... commands... info all that should be implemented into the game wherever it can be

Deleted
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2002-10-23 08:07   
One problem on the infantry combat as per this example:

A battle starts up and I log in the Metaverse as infantry. I see that a legion of troops have landed on the planet so I head over towards them with my squad. The battle goes well (stupid AI) and we're fighting them off when the K'luth carrier in that dropped the troops decides to land a biobomb on my infantry, thus wiping my squad (and myself) from existance.

That's not very fun and nothing they could avoid.

[ This Message was edited by: Sylivin on 2002-10-23 08:10 ]

Deleted
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2002-10-23 08:28   
well you put up a good point... thing is... it could be made that capping only goes on in the Troop client or that bio bombs/planetary bombardment weapons cannot effect infantry... only other inf can kill them

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-10-23 09:25   
Bombs would hit inf like normal, so yeah you can even bomb normal players.

Im not sure about this other players capping a planet, i want a off button though.
I dont wanna wait an hour for some guys to kill a few inf.

Goto the website of Barthezzz
-Space Ghost-
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2002-10-30 14:48   
Wow combat in a fighter would be like wicked cool. I'd love to see something like that. and the other ideas are awesome too.

Email -Space Ghost-
Max Kepler
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2002-10-30 17:13   
I had an interesting idea...

What if you could take Frigates (and Frigates only) into the RTS / FPS combat and do some light bombardment (IE not blowing up buldings but attacking some men that are exposed and out in the open). It would give Frigates more of a use. Also the men could even damage the Frigates with some kind of anti-aircraft weapon. Along with this, if the RTS / FPS is implemented, you could make the bomber fighters actually enter the infantry server and be at your command (RTS) or start bombing stuff (FPS).

Basic point: SWEET STUFF! Would love it all!

Email Max Kepler   Goto the website of Max Kepler
Deleted
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-11-07 12:29   
These all sound like great ideas, but you might want to go pick up a copy of Battle Cruiser Millennium (www.3000ad.com) and see how they do it, since this will put you in a position directly competing with thier on-line persistant world version Battle Cruiser Online which is still in development. Just tryin to help.

[ This Message was edited by: LordBane on 2002-11-07 12:30 ]

OFP
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-10 00:33   
I have friends that would love to see a FPS for darkspace. Like tribes you have said Big F. They would love it if I could fly them to a planet and drop them off to take it over. So if you go that direction, which is great in my view. I've got people already in line waiting for it. I would gladly broadcast it to all my other multiplayer gamers I know. That do FPS only, infact they just might try out the ship based part of game to see what it is like...
So yeah keep the idea going and I am all for it!..
-
-
-
In fact I just sent Instant Messages to everyone on my ICQ list about this thread you put up. So they can see for them selves. Which means they will be checking it out!..
-
-
-
NO I can't wait for it....Ahhhhhhhh the wait it just killing me...

[ This Message was edited by: The_G on 2002-11-10 00:46 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.044995 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR