No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Jump Drive Speeds...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Jump Drive Speeds...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-05-30 08:33   
I've been thinking lately about increasing the FTL speeds of all jumpdrives by a factor of 4, this would make their range 4 times their current range of 300,000 gu and reduce jump times by 1/4.

Additionally, I'd like to make the mass factor into the fuel consumption, so smaller ships use less fuel, thus can jump much further.

What do you guys think of this?

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2002-05-30 08:34 ]

Goto the website of Faustus
Wolver{RIP R33}
Cadet

Posted: 2002-05-30 08:54   
I like the ship mass idea. I agree that smaller ships should be able to jump faster and farther than large ships. Although, with smaller ships you have smaller gas tanks, so maybe that should be taken into account also.

I also agree with increasing the range and speed of jumpdrives in general, for one main reason...the Sol system. How nice it would be to jump to Callisto in half the time!

\"I wasn't sleeping Chief. It's just that I haven't gotten much sleep these last few nights. I forgot how. So I was just practicing!\" - Dropo \"The Laziest Man on Mars\"

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2002-05-30 08:58   
*applauds faustus*
But fix the map editor!

Goto the website of Novacat
Samweis*
Cadet

Posted: 2002-05-30 09:06   
Quote:

I've been thinking lately about increasing the FTL speeds of all jumpdrives by a factor of 4, this would make their range 4 times their current range of 300,000 gu and reduce jump times by 1/4.

I dont think the times should be reduced. Maybe create new drives but let the existing drives.

The idea with mass effecting the jump drive is nice

Email Samweis*
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-05-30 09:32   
I agree with Samweis, The speeds are acceptable, it gives you that much more insentive to get K'luth tech for the AM Jump drive, each faction has an improved engine, why not make an improved Jump drive for ICC and UGTO too?

The fuel consumption is an exellent idea though.

Hitman23
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2002-05-30 09:40   
I like the idea Faustus.

Maybe if the jumps are quicker people might come to the MV.

Anything to get them into the MV.

Email Hitman23
Cuisinart
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-05-30 09:42   
I like both ideas, very much in fact.

Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2002-05-30 11:16   
Yep.. 4 minute jumps across large systems got a bit boring...
But increasing speed by x4 will just aid those dread-jump-onto-enemy-ship guys...
would be nice to either have an acceleration phase so you don´t get the high speed instantly, or a "optimal jumpdrive load calculation phase" or something that starts after you´re aligned... 3 secs for a scout, 6 for frigate, 10 destroyer, 15 cruiser, 20 dread, 30 station....
So ppl might start flying the 500 gu to a target instead of jumping right on top of it... (at least the big ships)

Email Chromix
Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2002-05-30 12:26   
Hehe like in any good Sci-fi where computer need calculate Jump path and End coordinates ...

Also jump speed can be progressive ... os maximal speed is e.g. reached after 5000gu or in E-jump etc.

also ability control jump speed (to slower) can increase maximal distance, slower u fly, large distance u can reach

Deleted
Admiral

Posted: 2002-05-30 13:52   
Faustus, why not just add Warp Engines and remove Jump Gates all togethere?
Yes Granted it would take probly alot more programing than the mission system.
just leave Hiden Worm Holes, threw out systems.
we can use the standard engines to travel threw the systems and warp drives to jump to other systems.
is this possable?

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2002-05-30 13:55   
I like the idea of having longer ranged jump capabilities.

How about if jump drive funtion as they do now for speed, untill you "leave a system". When you get a certain distance past the outer orbit of the planets in a system, your jump speeds increase dramatically.

You could call it a safety feature when in a system, or you could say it has to do with the gravity well of the star. Or both.

Email Gideon
Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2002-05-30 15:16   
Torq & Gid:

That makes it nearly impossible to have choke points. That's why many great military sci-fi stories have such chokepoints...jumpgates, naturally occurring/artificial wormholes, etc. If you don't have a chokepoint...how in the world are you going to build up defenses??

Email Antra
Deleted
Admiral

Posted: 2002-05-30 15:44   
I like the idea too.

How about some fixes for MV so i can choose a none combat role to play again too ?

Giskard

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2002-05-30 15:54   
Choke points still exist in DarkSpace, even with free travel in between systems.

If I can sight two famous sci-fi generas that follow the same formula: Star Wars and Star Trek.

It goes somthing like this:

You can only travel so far with your fuel before refilling. Also, resources have to come from somewhere. Because of these factors, starsystems that contain planets are the most important things to your government. Planet layout and system location become natural paths to how fleets move. Thusly, you can use a system as a choke point against your enemies.

Because movement is not limited by some artificial factor, you must have a fleet that is capable of high speed movement, and that is distrubuted in a manor that allows it to respond to incursions into your territory. When the enemy invades, the ships in the immediate area slow the enemy down and fight a delaying action until a combat fleet arives to drive off the invaders.

By the way, the reason that a web-like grid of planets exists in games, with wormholes and like chokepoints, is because the AI the game is designed to use cannot handle the processes nessesary for a dynamic game front. Since DarkSpace uses Human Intellegence rather than Artificial Intellegence, the ability for a game with dynamic tactical situations exists.

Email Gideon
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-05-30 16:34   
hmm, i say i dont mind the long travel times. it adds to the realism. but im kewl with faster drives that we can buy. The idea about the gravity well is interresting too. Slow near planets, Fast in outer space. This could be added along with new drives that can go faster on the overall situation. I think adding those 2 would be kewl.

But i wouldnt like having 4 times faster drives, no defenatly not. Goes toward a more quake type (just my opinion, dont wanna start a flame war here). 4 times is too much, but the ability to buy faster jump drives is ok tho, start with the basic and buy new drives that can go maybe as fast or close to amj.

.02$

SVoyager

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023494 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR