No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Whats next?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Whats next?
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-04-06 14:54   
Everyone keeps asking me, whats next?

- Storage system... this is needed before the bottom 2 items are implemented. Players need a place to keep their goodies and accumlate weapons and devices.

- Alien artifacts / more gadgets ... This would be done in conjunction with above. We need more items and things to aquire n the game. Nano armor, hyper shielding, etc... These items could be dropped into the game by an admin, to make them rare and unique, they could be given away at special events, or occur randomly based on the number available in the universe at any one time.

- Mission system... I'm actually thinking this is a higher priority than the player built space stations. Why? Because of our newbie problem, and the need for other methods to gain prestige. My plan is simple.... provide several types of missions...

- Gofer missions - get this item by whatever means, bring it here.
- Capture missions - Capture this planet.
- Bounty missions - destroy this persons ship.

The missions would be AI generated, and player generated. In the case of player generated missions, the person would pay the reward out of their own pocket.

- Player constructed space stations... huge item, lots of work, but I think this is the end all of great features to add to DarkSpace. The sense of ownership would be huge, since your clan/team would build the space station bit by bit. It would be a safe place to call home. It would provide a place to store your goods, etc...

Ofcourse, balancing and bug fixing would occur during the implemtation of all the above.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2002-04-06 15:49   
Will be PCM super ship problem fixed too ?
Its pretty worth less to try hold or own planet with them in game ... thats one of facts why is MV so empty ...

Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-06 16:10   
A mission system would be fine.. however there should be missions that require two or more players to participate in, so a single player alone couldn´t choose it. That´d be for missions like capture planet. This way we hopefully get a bit more teamplay.

Email Chromix
Judas
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-07 01:05   
Mod'ing ships with pcruise was supposed to have been fixed weeks ago by restricting their slots?

I hadn't payed much attention to it, but I thought Nimby was on top of this.

\"Silly Dread, Torps are for kids!\"

Goto the website of Judas
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-08 04:08   
The storage system would be very nice.... It motivates me to go back on MV because i dont like to loose my expensive equipment when i had to change to a engi or supply ship. Its frustrating when you must sell your plant for only a part of the price you bought for. There should be a way to save 2-3 ships, or one per class of ship, for every player, unattached of his clan. When he changes the fraction all the plant which is special for the old fraction has to be deleted then.

Roomer
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-08 07:38   
Since last big update i miss the traiding!
I hope you implement more economic aspects in the next updates... for example goods to make a planet population happy. Makes the game a bit complex, but if there is a good manual i think newbies would like the MV much more than they do now!

Stations will be very interesting in future... but i see a lot of balance problems ... like a station next to jumpgates to secure system... but we'll see.

I think a very big problem for newbies is that there is no "real" manual where they can read important stuff! When a question comes up, there is too often nobody to ask, or the answer are nonsense or even many diffrent appear.

Thats all.

Vesuvius
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-04-10 13:47   
I must second the motion for bringing some kind of trading role back. You can technically still trade and make money but it is much more limited than before when there was so many commodities to choose from. If trading gets put back in we would need some way to check prices on planets remotely to enable us to decide what trade route to make. Also some form of reward in thw way of prestige would be good. I don't think it should be much, but maybe like 1 pres for every 10000 credits earned (or something similar scaled to match the scale of the economy the developers expect). We really need to have a good way to make a little money now that we got stuff to spend it on.

I also think the 25% item trade in value is kind of ridiculous. I think half would be more realisitic, although even would be good also. I know I don't bother trying some things out because I know it is just a big waste if I don't like it.

Big cheer for storage. I was thinking that if you get withing 100 or 150 gu of your home jump gate it icons would come up similar to a starport and you could trade stuff in an out just like that. You could put a limit on how much it would hold, an it seems like it would be clean this way. No clunky starbase modules that could get destroyed or whatever. Some might find it inconvenient to go all the way back to home sys, but you gotta go there to change ships anyway now right?

Warpath81
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-04-10 21:52   
If trade does come back, it needs to be exclusive to the MV. That could be a big insentive to get people into the MV, having some cool trade system going on that takes time and effort, and is enjoyable (similar to the old Trade Wars =) ). However, in scenarios, it is just not worth it. The games are just not designed for this, and the more simple the scenarios, the better. I like the scenarios with deep strategy but simple execution. The old beta code was perfect, but the way it is right now is really nice too. There are almost never planet shields or anything ever up in a scenario server...but I honestly don't think it is a bad thing.......just feel very strongly that if you do bring back some kind of advanced trading system, leave it just for the MV. I really do think lots of players would go into the MV just to do the trade thing.

my 2 cents

Email Warpath81   Goto the website of Warpath81
Deleted
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-04-12 03:23   
I like the ideas Faust, not so sure about the player as a target part as a noob may get a target thats either much bigger than him self or get a player that simply is never online when he is. Plus finding them is a problem at the best of times. Then we have factions, side swapping to add to the fun.

On the other hand, a simply patrol mission or a seek and destroy 1 ship mission might work.

You could even have AI trannies as targets with "This must never reach planet X" as the mission goal.

The player has to take out the AI tranny before it reaches hits home or something along those lines.

You could also introduce trading missions as a form of training. Make X amount of profit by buying and selling goods to this planet....... It forfills the need for resources and earns the player some creds too as a well as prest.

When stations are introduced I gather they will be heavily defended static affairs. If this is the case beacon missions could also be part of the game. EG beacon the station.

Giskard

Deleted
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-04-16 07:24   
Just a small thing that needs to be implamented is u can have several ships in MV say a combat ship, a trans and a engy, and a supply or something like that then u donthave too lose the dred that cost u 80000 to build to go and do some more trade cos there is none in MV but if u swap faction u lose the ship but get backthe money it cost u too make or maybe just 50% to encurage people t stick with a faction.

Deleted
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-04-16 12:50   
For trading someone should check out the system that was implemented in X-Tension that is put out by Egosoft.

It is somewhat of a Privateer version game, and has some pretty damn good ideas on setting up routes for transports, etc.

Instead of having planets basically own transports, you could have players build starports, and then buy their own transports which they set up to transport goods between the planet they put the starport on and adjacent planets.

Basically allow the user directly or indirectly through his/her owned transports do the trading.

Again, if you see X-tension, you would see what I mean.

FearSun

Deleted
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-04-16 13:56   
Where can you see it(with web site)???

But for real what i'm tinking about a good thing for mission is a transport from Planet X to Planet Y mission. The farther the planet is the higher the profits. You could chose a dificulty level(saw it in Jumpgate). For the storage. I would not mind that you save the entire ship but it would be better to save the devices. And save ship config. The config should be available to be build at a planet or stored in your storage. Finaly the station should be able to be place near JGs IF it's the faction's Home Space. Thus UTGO could protec Sol access but could not block Sirius.

Dormio Niggling
Cadet
Agents

Posted: 2002-04-18 05:04   
I play X-BTF and there is a very simple and early trading system but it works. You have to trade to gain credits or when you bought police licence you take credit when you shoot down pirates. What for credits ? To buy gadgets and as I know in X-Tension for new ships... I think it is too easy to get heavy ship in MV...
Suggestions:
1. Shipyard. When you want to have Dread or Cruiser you have to fly to Shipyard to rebuild your ship (with credits you have earned) - it will be harder to get heaviest ships and it will increase sense for trading system.
2. Destroyer is for "free". When you belong to faction you take ship for your command but you have to repay for it. When you have repaid for it you can sell it and build up new one (heavier or better equipped).
In both cases trade system will be important in both cases there will be less Dreads...

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-18 05:31   
Quote:

On 2002-04-18 05:04, Dormio wrote:
I play X-BTF and there is a very simple and early trading system but it works. You have to trade to gain credits or when you bought police licence you take credit when you shoot down pirates. What for credits ? To buy gadgets and as I know in X-Tension for new ships... I think it is too easy to get heavy ship in MV...
Suggestions:
1. Shipyard. When you want to have Dread or Cruiser you have to fly to Shipyard to rebuild your ship (with credits you have earned) - it will be harder to get heaviest ships and it will increase sense for trading system.
2. Destroyer is for "free". When you belong to faction you take ship for your command but you have to repay for it. When you have repaid for it you can sell it and build up new one (heavier or better equipped).
In both cases trade system will be important in both cases there will be less Dreads...

sounds like an bad idea dreads arent a problem in MV
only in scenario.
and people play the game to gwet the big ships so it would be silly to prevent them from flying it.

And flying a destroyer in a FA server aint that bad.

i did that yesterday most dreads leave you alone.
accept from a few dreads/cruisers that like chasing ships smaller then them.

whenever i fly a dread i wont chase destroyers and frigates.(unless im drunk)
or unless they attack me.

offcourse if you use the kluth claw on a dreads that is piloted by some1 that never flew a dread before then its easy ti kill.

so the dread space is not such a problem.
in my eyes anyway.

****Edit****
Btw i want that between player trade screen back.
a good way of making profit is selling stuff to newbs.
always fun to sell em a cl2k they cant use
but this will also stimulate between faction trading.
a while ago when we still had that trade screen i used to call some guys from diffrent faction and we tryed to trade stuff we could use.
****Edit****

[ This Message was edited by: Barthezzz on 2002-04-18 05:37 ]

Dormio Niggling
Cadet
Agents

Posted: 2002-04-18 08:01   
I don't know if you catch what was the most important - TRADING SYSTEM. With this 2 ideas trading will became more important then it is now. I can agree with you that all of us is working hard to get this heavy ships... but when you will earn enough prestige points it is too simple IMHO to change machine to quit different. When you will have to build up your dream Dread you will think twice before change (because you will have to wait for new - I guess better, a lot of time in Shipyard - in meantime you can fly Destroyer, Frigate or Scout)...

I'm not against Dreads - in other post you can find that more about that 3 Scout is quite enough to fight with each Dread My idea is to build up importance of trade in Darkspace. Now the most important is fight - is it good ? I don't know. Some of us would be happy with exploration, some with research. I would like to have a good trading system.

Barthezzz what you think about it ? What all of you think about ?

[ This Message was edited by: Dormio on 2002-04-18 08:04 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023412 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR