No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Version 1.44
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Version 1.44
Cuisinart
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-03-25 17:40   
Faustus, why not make the EMP a directed weapon instead of area affect (like what your saying your going to do with the ELF) I think this might solve some of the complaints in this post...

NeoViper
Admiral
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2002-03-25 20:07   
I think that the EMP is a good weapon for the UGTO... I agree with Lith... if the EMP cannot be used in fleet ops, where the UGTO are strongest, then they will never be used unless 1v1 combat is taking place. That kinda takes away from the teamwork aspect in combat... also... comparing pulse to EMP is not fair. I would give up my EMP to get a pulse any day. All the pcruises and It's from your dreads would not bother me so much.

just a thought
and we will hunt you.

Email NeoViper
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-03-25 20:46   
I already created a new "EMP Cannon" weapon, which I will be adding to the technology tree for the UGTO tomorrow. This weapon, unlike the EMP device, can be fired at a specific target.

Also... I've rebalanced the damage of all internal systems, making them a bit tougher to match the strength of armor/shields. This was needed, since I need to keep the EMP damage around 10,000 ...

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-03-25 21:03   
- Added SABOT rockets to the ICC technology tree

ViRGE
Cadet

Posted: 2002-03-25 21:57   
Faust, how much will an ELF do against a ship realisticly? You say it'll drain all their energy, but how long before they have it all back? With the ELF being a persistant device, it constantly keeps all neighboring ships a little drained; but if it becomes a one shot device, I fear it'll turn into a much less useful device that will give your position away, and not do enough damage to be useful.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-03-25 22:26   
I'm thinking of increasing it's duration to 5-10 seconds... this would disable weapons that require a large loading time (i.e. IE missiles, PCM, etc...)

Basically, it's something you would use to give your ship a slight advantage in a fight, effectively reducing the enemy ship firing rate.

Additionally, I've put all the gadgets, their energy usage/generation into an Excel sheet, myself and nimby will be going over the energy numbers tomorrow to acheive a better energy balance. These changes might force many players to manage their energy better. This basically, is something that needed to be done for some time.

-Richard

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2002-03-25 22:28 ]

PizzaTheHut
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-03-25 22:54   
A few things... #1 woot I can post here now thx faus, I think this topic needs more than just UGTO remarks...

To start, you all hate the idea of EMP hurting your teammates and not being able to sit in huge fleet and EMP us to death, have you considered how ELF effects k'luth ships that don't have it???

I can sit with mine on, and the other guys can have theirs on and they all cancle eachother out, then along comes a guy in old manny dread and he has very little energy.... now you can still drive full speed under the effects of ELF, but as soon as he fires, he's in trouble. I don't know how the new ELF will effect all the other ships, and I read the post three times... maybe I'm thick... Anyways, my point is, all weapons are not necesarrily safe to use. Look at the good old fashioned A-bomb.. does it only hurt the bad guy? I think part of the balance should include moer FF, but perhaps it shouldn't hurt your total prestige so much, especially with it getting harder to gain in the MV (since no one's ever in there...)

and #2 can I get a copy of that spread sheet? Or post it on the website and keep it up to date so that people can actually have official information when we get in arguements. I'm a sts's guy, I love looking at all the different stats of just about anything....

And since I know Faustus actually reads this forum can I just add that if ELF effects k'luth ships after the next update, can all k'luth ships come standard with it? it would beat the crap outa having that worthless ECCM and stuff like that....

again, thx for letting us post here Faus, I really appreciate it

[ This Message was edited by: PizzaTheHut on 2002-03-25 23:07 ]

Bumblebee
Cadet
Mercenaries of Andosia

Posted: 2002-03-26 02:19   
back to the EMP-discussion

Faustus

if you change it the way you have posted here, you have to disable damage of the UGTO-mates

read above why, no need to repeat it

technicaly it makes sense, the "pulse" uses a defined frequency, where all UGTO-ships are secured against

Email Bumblebee
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-03-26 07:18   
I think it is a great shame u r making the EMP device a damage only to systems device. It is very usefull as it was and i didnt mind against FF as i was careful not to use it too close to friends most of the time. It is one of the UGTO's great weapons and shouldnt be changed it has no need to be. It is great as a finisher and suits te close combat nature of the UGTO as u have to be ontop of the opponent to cause maximum damage. I ask please dont change ths it is a great weaonbut instead provide new and exciting weapons whih u can buy at starports once researced.

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-03-26 07:59   
Based upon the new idea of the EMP, wouldn't it also turn missiles into unguided missiles as the guidance electronics would be screwed? And in a way that'd make it almost like a pulse shield as well. Just a thought there.

Also, you should be able to power down your engines in order to have your ship systems unaffected by the EMP. This way the UGTO could coordinate this and have one person EMP at a time, literally devastating enemy fleets... even more dangerous than the old EMP in my opinion.

And I'm sad to see the ELF go... what you propose isn't really an ELF anymore, you're just carrying over the name. I think the universal agreement with players of all factions on the idea of k'luth being unaffected by ELF/EMP was not considered enough, or, at least you didn't respond or comment on it.

[ This Message was edited by: uoods on 2002-03-26 09:40 ]

II
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2002-03-26 08:19   
Leave EMP how it is. Increase the Pulse shields recharge time. Leave the old ELF.

Will the mining beam be able to suck metal out of ships? I want to drain some UGTO hull

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-03-26 08:42   
Guys, the only way I'm going to decide one way or another is through play-testing.

So if you care really deeply about how the ECM or ELF work, please join onto the beta servers when I broadcast that we're play-testing version 1.44

Thanks,
Richard

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2002-03-26 09:08   
So when do you plan to playtest/put 1.44 on the beta servers? I've beta tested before, but haven't really taken the time to document things in DarkSpace. IOW, I want to help but my schedule is limited :-/.

Email Antra
Deleted
Admiral

Posted: 2002-03-26 09:40   
You can't playtest something that isn't implemented. I think one of the most agreed on solutions was having the ELF not affect K'luth ships. Unfortunately there was no feedback on it. If it's hard to code, tell us, if there's some other balance issue I'm not seeing, say something, but the players who agreed in that thread got no official response other than an indirect one in "the ELF is being redone to be a directed weapon."

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2002-03-26 10:46   
I like the new changes.

On the EMP. Firstly, you already have to be careful with the current EMP as it gives you FF very easily, so I don't see how this is any different tactically from the current system. Second, in actual testing having a weapon that destroyes or damages all the systems on a ship is a huge advantage. Keep in mind that systems self repair at about 1% per second one system at a time. This includes your jump drive and sublight engines. At close range it will almost completely shut down an enemy ship. After my experiences with it, I think it is far more powerful now.

On the new ELF beam. I think this is superior to the field effect.

One, you cannot hurt allies with it unless you try really hard.

Two, since it requires a target, the K'Luth have excellent defense against it with their cloaking.

Three, against the ICC one shot will eliminate an entire sheild arc completely.

Four, multiple ships can use it on the same target without interfearing with each other and keep that target in low power pergitory easily.

Five, it is now Beam class, so ships that can mount multiple beams can mount multiple ELF beams.

Email Gideon
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024002 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR