Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » 99% Catalog error in Windows XP is HARDWARE Issue
 Author 99% Catalog error in Windows XP is HARDWARE Issue
Deleted

Posted: 2002-03-17 22:26   
I have Windows XP and a Netgear FA311 NIC. I have been experiencing the 99% Catalog error and loss of Internet connection. The Internet connection will only work after a restart.

I have had this issue since the last 1.3 update in mid February and now in the Beta 1.4. The only way I could play the game was to download the files on a Windows 98 Machine and copy the files over the directory on my Windows XP machine. The game would then work.

I've read in the forums the issues with the Netgear and the need for better Drivers. I tried the 1.3 & 1.8 drivers with no change.

Sunday, I purchased a new NIC by LinkSYS. This did not solve my problem. I returned the card and purchased a Seimens SS1020. After getting it installed, I tried to enter the beta servers. I had no issues with the catalog. It processed correctly and downloaded the beta, I was able to enter into the beta correctly.

I have made no changes to my system with the exception of the new NIC cards. The chipset in my Netgear and the LinkSYS are likely the same/similar and seem to not work properly. This is likely a driver/hardware issue in the Windows XP operating system. The Siemens card worked the first time.

Thus, I believe that the 99% Catalog issue is HARDWARE.

I picked up the Siemens card at Circuit City for about $20 USD.

Hope this helps some of you.

[ This Message was edited by: otsunashi on 2002-03-17 22:27 ]

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-03-18 11:09   
Actually, I think the error is driver related... however, because new hardware comes with new drivers it could be hardware.

What had changed from 1.2 to 1.3 was some changes to the lower level networking code in DarkSpace, basically I moved the sending of data to the server into it's own thread to avoid blocking the client. Aparently, the driver that was having problems has not been tested correctly to work in a multi-threaded enviroment.

I'll contact linkSYS concerning this problem, and let them know that there might be an issue with their driver code.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Page created in 0.009143 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR