No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Latency Issues
 Author Latency Issues
BLADERUNNER2019
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2019-02-03 01:36   
Hi,
I tested my internet ping rate and it is only 9ms....but when I test it in DS with alt + p it is 78ms to 90ms with the DS servers. Can I get some advice on how to fix this issue please?
Thanks,
Blade

DarkSpin
Captain
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2019-02-03 06:15   
Thats under 100ms, so it's less than 100/1000ms or commonly referred to as 1 second.
To be precise 78/1000ms.

1000ms = 1 Second RTT (Round Trip Time) IE, from your computer to Darkspace servers and back.

Anything under 100ms is considered perfectly acceptable for real time gaming.

Yes a lower ping is always ideal; but the only way to get a better ping would be for your ISP to optimize their routeing to DarkSpace's servers and or a expencive peering agreement with your specific ISP.

Darkspace's movement if I remember correctly uses UDP instead of TCP, so if you have packet loss it will dramatically affect your gaming experience. I would do a line quality test on your connection to make sure your connection is not having packet loss... NO PACKET LOSS IS EVER ACCEPTABLE!

Check the Quality of your connection: https://www.dslreports.com/tools/pingtest

---For example my connection Quality is: A+

Check your connection for Packet Loss: https://www.dslreports.com/pingtest?

---For example my connections Packet Loss Test (No Packet Loss Detected): https://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/2c5323544632/3504595

It's honestly out of your hands. If I were you I wouldn't worry about that level of ping until it goes 100ms and beyond or you have ANY packet loss.

Then at that point yes, scream at your ISP and tell them to fix their network and or you need to fix your WiFi Router & check your equipment for proper operations (Preferably Before You Scream At Your ISP...).

- Local ISP Server:

- Austin Texas Server:

[ This Message was edited by: DarkSpin on 2019-02-03 07:12 ]

(' o ') - Website: DIAU.NET

Email DarkSpin   Goto the website of DarkSpin
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2019-02-03 07:00   
DarkSpace's servers are located in Austin, Texas. If you have bad routing to our datacentre then you're going to get sub-par ping. Having said this, I connect from the UK regularly and I get 160ms ping, which is substantially better than most central Northern America locations. Typically anything under 100 ms for a non-twitch based game is considered acceptable, of which DarkSpace is not.

Do note that speed tests will always locate the nearest and fastest server for you to test against, as it provides the best means of testing speed. Your best bet would be to test a location of central Northern America, and not Canada, as your IP indicates. As an example, take my speed test done locally, and one performed against the University of Texas:

UK:
US:

Unfortunately, the only way this can be 'fixed' for you would be to move the servers to your doorstep in Canada, which is not going to occur. Realistically, there's nothing you or we can do to fix this - we're constrained by todays understanding of physics and sending data down a tube. If you could fix this, you'd be the most popular person on the planet and bring about a monumental shift in network technology.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2019-02-03 07:05 ]

BLADERUNNER2019
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2019-02-03 09:10   
Thank-you Darkspin and Pantheon,
I checked my ping in Austin Texas and it is 50ms, I am hoping that is ok. It seems okay in gameplay on DS.
Cheers,
Blade

Page created in 0.008485 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR