No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » How did Darkspace loose it's customers?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
 Author How did Darkspace loose it's customers?
Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2017-08-27 16:03   
Quote:
On 2017-06-15 19:15, Entil-Zha the Starkiller wrote:
I still say....

EAD made CM
=> Over half UGTO player lose access to favorite ship
=> Remaining UGTO left helpless without Big Brother since Shrooms are simply feasts
=> ICC now only faction for K'luth to hunt
=> ICC race hunted to the brink of extinction
=> Less ICC means K'luth go hungry
=> K'luth population plummmets to levels sustainable by meager ICC population

At least that's what the propagand mill feeds the drones back home...

The REAL reason of course is found in other posts....
[ This Message was edited by: Russian Roulette with Muskets on 2017-08-27 16:27 ]

I will tell you how darkspace lost me a long long time ago:

Logged in, after som away time from Darkspace. Noticed i could not get my EAD anymore. Looked at the other offerings for ships. Tried them, got blasted by other dreads with zero chance of killing them back. loggd off. uninstalled the game.

Also:
Gained new character traits:

- Bitterness level 3, for taking away stuff from me that i earned fair and square.
- Mild rage, for having another game ruined by some dude for no apparent reason but "hey, you, yes you, go duck yoruself thank you!".
- Large case of the wallet shuttiness. Because why would i give you money for ruining my day.

Know what i loved about me and my EAD back then?

I HAD ONE.

And i close jumped some dude and he would actually react with something else but hysterical laughter. An also qst'ing station with my friends in unison...

Ah the good ol times.

Give me back my EAD, have it ansd its other UGTO brethren be capable ships and you might see my wallet back.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2017-09-08 07:43   
It's amazed me that Darkspace have many loyal fans until this day.
It's living more than 15 years. DS passed its prime time, but survives thanks for the love of those who support it, espeically the staff.
I would change the name of this topic to be "How has DarkSpace kept moving on?"

I think it shall be nice for most of the cooldown in game, like building time, the JD recharge, to be cut 20% off. Hm... there are many games today and we have to play DS on computer thus there is not much time for waiting like it was before smartphone.
[ This Message was edited by: DiepLuc on 2017-09-08 07:57 ]

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2017-09-08 13:23   
I blame Griller.

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2017-09-12 14:25   
After nocking and drawing them, I assume loosing them was the next logical step.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2017-09-21 23:34   
For me it was the day planet defense became a passive AOE. One of my favorite things to do was build planets and watch them attack and defend, experimenting with defense patterns and levels, watching beams shoot down bombs or attack enemies etc. It was the most satisfying part of the game for me.

It's also why I missed scenario so much and didn't enjoy the MV as much as the rest of the community. My fun was in capping, defending and building planets in that chess match in space called scenario.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2017-09-21 23:36 ]

Reeves-81
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2017-09-25 18:09   
Quote:
On 2017-06-14 23:21, Crim wrote:
Eh, it was mainly the fact that Darkspace couldn't pay for an actual dev team. Just wasn't profitable enough because Darkspace existed in a very small niche for so long, and it's only been recent that games like DS have become popular again. It would just be impossible at this point to truly have a full development team needed to make changes, and pay them.

Remember, this game was developed by less people than literally almost every other game out there. It was so ahead of it's time, and it had an extremely dedicated community. And DS was a project of love for the developers. So the plan has always been to keep the lights on until literally the last second, we've just been lucky enough that there have been a few dedicated staff members through the years that have done their best to keep things afloat.

DS can change, but it'd require a lot fo 'if's, a lot of luck, and a few miracles sprinkled ontop. It's why we went to open source, and it's why a lot of us are still here. Either way, we at least still come sit in the lobby with people we've known for over a decade, or the few who've come along recently and stayed with us

It's because F wouldnt let the code be open source when the time was right. By the time he finally did, it was already too late. I said this time and time again way back in the day... RIP DarkSpace.

\"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.\"
--Thomas Jefferson

Senti-Onikawa
Admiral

Posted: 2017-10-16 18:49   
Quote:
On 2017-09-25 18:09, Reeves-81 wrote:

It's because F wouldnt let the code be open source when the time was right. By the time he finally did, it was already too late. I said this time and time again way back in the day... RIP DarkSpace.

If it was just a matter of the code being open source, that would have fixed itself the moment it did. Problem is a lack of competency from the guys who volunteered their time. Dico's no longer do anything. planets aren't an option to build prestige and thus forces people to work on combat exclusively. Gaining prestige outside of combat takes too long. Hell, that the devs thought making AI swarm in on a system barely populated by players was a facepalm-inducing move. Know what I just spent the last hour doing? Trying to cap a stat.

40 ducking infantry land on it and it doesn't cap.

The volunteer devs are wholly incompetent, and always have been. More people have bitched about the transition from 1.6 to 1.7, and for good reason. Much of what made the game fun or interesting was removed in favor of "cutting costs" rather than downgrading the server and removing scenario (which hardly anyone played outside an excuse to grind prestige). The prestige thing was easily alleviated before when the player population was more plentiful. Since 2014, the population has dwindled, and no effort has been made to either acknowledge this issue, or adjust accordingly outside a too little, too late server size reduction.

Nothing about what the volunteer devs have done improved the game. When you could barely get 100 people on in the game's "dying days", devs instead focused on nerfing ships and removing the threat planets posed. Oh, and then they made everything BUT combat worthless, and instead of either adjusting requirements for ships and stats, they kept everything as-is.

Nobody wants to grind for years to get a dreadnaught, jackasses. If you were half as competent at anything as you claimed to be, DS wouldn't be in the snapter right now. Oh, and don't go "muh competition." WoW, EVE, etc have tons more competition and have managed to stay relevant through competent devs at the helm. There is no excuse for such utter incompetence, and F should be ashamed that he took this long to open the game's code up to the public so others could take a crack at fixing the duck-up of his volunteer devs.

Goddamn, I used to love this game. Now, it's been reduced to a horrible mess thanks to duck-ups who probably couldn't use BBCode without a guide open in a tab.

\"That's a good question... I wish I had an answer.\"

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2017-10-17 03:42   
i can say that playing star trek online for the last 3 years has shown me that a re-spawn timer that increases per death within say a 5 minute window (for those who like to fly dumb) is better than pres loss and makes the game more player friendly.

glad i stuck my nose back in here after such a long abscence, however i may just have to stick my nose back in-game and see whats going (or not) on.

lt. harris close comm......
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Lockerd
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2017-11-01 23:00   
It's been a very long time since I've last sent in an update, and most of my fondest memories were of Darkspace.

With that being said, I can remember quite a few things that nixed dark space. Most of which were related to the fact that there was a wall of information blocking new folks from working on the game.

Heck if it were just a matter of money, it'd have been easy to get it with patreon and a few dedicated cheap ads or some shameless pandering to social media sites and subreddits. Then there's the fact that Steam has always been an option, but for some reason the fact that the game had a chat window launcher meant it was a no go?

But now it's open source, and I'm probably gonna dredge together a full team to work on it as a passion project. But not going to promise much, just hope.

I do hope to one day see the passion project and this site merge, but I find it unlikely.

[ This Message was edited by: Lockerd on 2017-11-01 23:09 ]

Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2017-11-02 02:55   
not being able to manage ship inventory on the ship selection screen, it should be a simple thing to add/remove enhs on the ship selection screen, i mean star trek online has been doing it since it was released......who wants to have their ship blown up in orbit just because they are changing the enhancement...........
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2017-11-02 02:57   
and another thing , why can't i do a player name search on the rankings page ? i would like to be able to do that...........

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2017-11-04 03:23   
Too bad we cant like posts.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Daisy
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2017-11-08 23:56   
I quit for several reasons.

-Death penalty was too harsh for larger ships.
-Progress was painfully slow... so so slow and boring... Then you lose it all in one battle.
-No players to team up with and do things with, yet ships are designed to work with a fleet.
-Ships were so overly specialized that you had to shipyard CONSTANTLY to get anything done.
-Kinda P2W, anyone with top tier enhancements has an immediate massive edge over you.
-Being shot down rudely on a lot of suggestions.
-Couldn't get any friends to stick with the game for the same reasons, but also the bad graphics and awkward ancient UI.

I'm glad you made the game open source, but I think that was maaaaybe too little too late? I think it was suggested years ago and was brutally shot down because this is an MMO. I'm not even sure now if it would have helped...

There's just so many good space games now that, while not replacing Darkspace entirely, just make up for it in so many other ways :T

I hope that a spiritual successor to Darkspace can be developed at some point.
[ This Message was edited by: Daisy on 2017-11-09 00:01 ]

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2017-11-10 07:53   
*random apperance* DÖRKSPASH!!

Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2017-11-22 14:29   
How did Darkspace loose it's customers?

removal of mv economy
removal of planetary interdictors that stop jumpdrives cold
removal of planetary defenses that actually work (none of this AOE stuff)
removal of planetary resourses that actually make a difference
removal of being able to capture an enemy planet with a factory to allow use of enemy tech

removal of the ability to use enemy tech
removal of interdictor cruisers
lack of gaifen and crystaline entities
removal of MI
removal of cloudbombing
removal of the .480/.483 mv

need i say more ????
do i need to go on ????

i'd say restoration of some or all of these elements might bring this ole game back to life....but thats just 1 guys opinion.....

discussion welcome............
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Page created in 0.024181 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR