- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » * Development Blog * » » State of DarkSpace Development
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author State of DarkSpace Development
Gekko-Go
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2016-03-30 00:57   
What language is DS written in?

I'm good at debuging and to an extent optimizing, but my languages are spread out.

Message me on what you are looking for as far as programming, and a bit of example code if needed.

DS is not dead

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2016-03-30 06:13   
I always hope to see DS get new update.
[ This Message was edited by: DiepLuc on 2016-04-06 17:08 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2016-03-30 10:32   
Quote:
On 2016-03-30 00:57, Gekko-Go wrote:

I'm good at debuging and to an extent optimizing, but my languages are spread out.

Message me on what you are looking for as far as programming, and a bit of example code if needed.

It's written in C++, the scripting language is LUA.

Also just noticed your name and signature are from E7.

Here's a code snippet:
http://pastebin.com/0dmP7C7W

Gekko-Go
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2016-03-31 08:16   
Quote:
On 2016-03-30 10:32, Pantheon wrote:
Quote:
On 2016-03-30 00:57, Gekko-Go wrote:

It's written in C++, the scripting language is LUA.

Also just noticed your name and signature are from E7.

Here's a code snippet:
http://pastebin.com/0dmP7C7W

The C++ i can do. LUA i'd have to research.

OH! and documentation! i can do documentation too!
[ This Message was edited by: Gekko-Go on 2016-03-31 08:17 ]

DS is not dead

Wessssss
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2016-03-31 12:40   
Quote:
On 2016-03-28 09:06, Pantheon wrote:
Quote:
On 2016-03-27 15:00, Demorian wrote:
Most things are best illustrated with an illustration, Jack.

-Dem

Do you have an illustration to illustrate that?

Quote:
On 2016-03-28 03:07, Fluttershy wrote:
I offered to help with programming a while back but you guys were scared to death to show more than small snippets here and there. On top of that, I'm generally disliked and got bored and fed up with the game and players in general so I've moved on to other things.

Would it help at all if DS was remade in another engine, one with a large community and plenty of support and which might be more likely to get the attention and help that it needs? An engine that largely takes care of memory management and networking for you?

The game engine isn't the problem at all. The content editor is a bit tricksy to work with, but the game engine itself is just fine. The only problem is lack of free time to work on it. Doesn't matter if it's Unity, UE4, or any other engine - at some point you still have to write code, and that requires time.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2016-03-28 09:08 ]

I don't think he was saying that the Engine itself is a problem, just that bringing it to an engine that has a large community base would increase odds of getting people who can code and work on it.

Legatus Immolation
Marshal

Posted: 2016-04-01 10:31   
I find myself coming back to this game over and over, perhaps I have an attachment to old style games... I used to Love DS, it's player base and I'm sorry to hear that development is stagnant, much in turn is due to Time.
However it's not the end.. I feel like we can bring back some love to DS.

Thought I'd add my Cent in the mix aswell, for the past year I've been learning C++ (CPP). Before I started to learn C++ I've only really had experience with Hardware, however besides the point.
So I feel like having a go at programming, nothing on the scale of Darkspace yet as there is still a lot to learn, when I'm fully fledged and confident in C++ I'll come back and will offer to help, however at this time I don't feel confident to tackle anything as large scale as Darkspace is, Give me more time perhaps another 1-2 years to learn and build my knowledge and confidence.

Feel free to pass brain teasers (not to do with darkspace but something based with C++ to help me get better at this stuff)
As always I welcome feedback.

Regards.
Lord Victor Davion

[ This Message was edited by: ImmolationViolation on 2016-04-01 11:10 ]

MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2016-04-09 00:10   
Gonna log in for this.
Is it possible to open source the project?

I (and other developers) am much less tempted to work something that is not open source compared to something that is open source. I develop proprietary software for a living, and would rather contribute to an open community in my free time.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2016-04-09 06:57   
Quote:
On 2016-04-09 00:10, MarineKingPrime wrote:
Gonna log in for this.
Is it possible to open source the project?

I (and other developers) am much less tempted to work something that is not open source compared to something that is open source. I develop proprietary software for a living, and would rather contribute to an open community in my free time.

I don't believe that'll ever happen due to copyright and IP reasons. The game engine itself is open source, and anyone with the skillset can apply to work on the game in an open sourced manner, but there are a lot of game sensitive bits of code that potentially could be used maliciously so we believe its best kept under wraps for the most part. There's also the requirement of preping a project of this size for open source, which would be a bit of a task. And I won't even get into people trying to run their own versions with just x10 prestige gain or minor changes that do very little but segment the community (what there is of it).

At the end of the day, anyone with a skillset and want to work on it can send an email and get added setup with the entire project repo via SVN, which is about as open as something like this gets.

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2016-04-12 12:58   
At the time of me joining this game (Under a terribly named 'Dark Valkaryie') I was about 13 or 12 years old (dear lord). I'm now 18 (19 in a few months) and just finishing my first year of Uni (End of this week) where I'm studying Computer Science (Games Programming) learning C++ and tidbits of other languages (Javascript, LUA).

Obviously I doubt I would be able to add anything significant to Darkspace but it seems at this point every little would help. It has been an extremely long time since I've even logged into the MV (despite it still being installed on my PC) and just thought to pop my head onto the forums to see how the game is getting along.

I've enjoyed a lot of fun and also harrowing moments in Darkspace and I am glad it is still here after so long.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2016-04-13 02:02   
Quote:
On 2016-03-24 23:30, Walrus of Apathy wrote:
I'm fresh back from an impromptu 6 month hiatus, and I'm ready to argue with Ent and Jim in Devtalk again anytime they're up for it.

I'd have to fit you into my busy schedule.

Have your people talk to my people. We'll do lunch.

Email Jim Starluck
Comet
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2016-05-09 08:28   
If you're looking for programmers, depending on the language used, I could pitch in?

Right now I'm unemployed during my industrial placement year. So I have a LOT of free time - obviously I won't be willing to spend every minute working on DS as if it was a full time job - other games, social life and such - but I could pitch in a fair enough of work.

As I said, I'm in an industrial placement year. Meaning I am a student, I've got <1 years experience in the industry, and its all office work - none of it is remote work. But hey being a student = time to learn more stuff haha.

But yeah if you want I can look into helping out

I'm very confident in C#, I've been using that language for the past year and a half (own projects, my work placement before I was made redundant etc) so whilst I'm not the most skilled in it, I know my way around fairly well.

I also know; C++, Javascript and Java. Though haven't used these languages in at least 6-12 months.

So if you'd like me to (try) and help send me a PM or email (I'm assuming you'd be able to grab the email address assigned to my account so I don't have to post it here haha )

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2016-05-17 13:05   
Just send an email to Faustus () with any information regarding programming help. As much as I can help validate candidates, he has to click the buttons to make it happen.

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2016-05-22 15:07   
Quote:
On 2016-05-17 13:05, Pantheon wrote:
Just send an email to Faustus () with any information regarding programming help. As much as I can help validate candidates, he has to click the buttons to make it happen.

From Gmail;

The error that the other server returned was:
554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [209.85.218.68] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Currently Sending Spam See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?209.85.218.68

Sent my email in a PM to faustus.

[ This Message was edited by: Iwancoppa on 2016-05-22 15:18 ]

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2016-05-23 22:03   
Hey guys, please check the news...

Goto the website of Faustus
Riley!
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2016-05-23 23:12   
Very cool news. I'm sure this will excite many people. Thank you Faustus!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024822 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR