No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » What Happened?
 Author What Happened?
Andalis
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2015-03-07 00:36   
Lemme apologize at the start if this has been asked before/ many times, but since browsing around the forums the last few days and looking into the game again, I've been really wanting to ask this.

First up, I'm an old player. As in 'Before the big resource update, back when you could still spawn any ship from the home gate' old. I doubt anyone remembers the name 'Epsilon' at all, but that was me. I remember jumping a Heavy Supp ship into the middle of a 30-40 ship battle to do emergency resupps on badly damaged Dreads, or being part of a system raid with Station-made wormholes, back when the old metaverse had a constant population of 300-400.

Of course, my memory of back then is muddled from the time I've spent away from the game, and how young I was when I first played. So the question I've been dying to ask is, what happened to reduce the game's population so badly? I remember that the big Resource Update played a big role in things. I can remember a lot of people jumping ship after that.

But were there other things in play that I didn't notice back then? Was that update really the culprit, or was it something else that I was too young to really understand?

I appreciate any responses. Relearning the history of the game really interests me.

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-07 17:53   
I haven't been around for most of this, but my guess is just simple dislike of change. Every time they changed something, even though it was usually for the better, a good chunk of the population left. Do this enough, and you lose critical mass and the game dies. Ergo, now.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2015-03-08 09:37   
Any time something that has been present for a long time gets removed or even significantly changed you're going to have people upset, and some of them will leave. It's not any one thing but a combination of a lot of things.

In my time here the biggest exodus of players occurred after depots were changed so you could only build one per planet, it seemed like over half of the UGTO players quit after that and UGTO was virtually a ghost town for several months.

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-08 22:02   
The game got more balanced at the cost of its charm

Firestorm Kid
Chief Marshal
T-Roy! and Friends

Posted: 2015-03-09 02:45   
Well, there is short term effect and long term effect to players in every changes they make.....

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-09 21:13   
Balance always kills a game. Players play because something is OP... If you give everyone a Prius, it's not much fun racing, when you used to have a ferrari.

TroyMars
Chief Marshal
T-Roy! and Friends

Posted: 2015-03-16 12:59   
Quote:
On 2015-03-09 21:13, -DBS wrote:
Balance always kills a game. Players play because something is OP... If you give everyone a Prius, it's not much fun racing, when you used to have a ferrari.

What? I usually logg when ICC pull a bunch of LS's out, or if luthy pull a bunch of seige torps out. No fun..

Email TroyMars
-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-19 20:25   
Yeah, I just play my Dreads on WOT now, -HitShane US East Server...

Page created in 0.023602 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR