No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » ENHANCEMENT ALERT stealth module bug
 Author ENHANCEMENT ALERT stealth module bug
Jhomes
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-04 10:28   
I got a stealth module to play around with and noticed quite a problem with it.

Ok so i had a cruiser out with a positive sig, when i used to module it worked as normal by lowering my sig like its supposed to, no problem here.

The problem was when i had my ecms on and ghost shields giving my ship a negative sig of -16, then when i used the module it increased my sig to -13 instead of further lowering it.

There is a problem with the coding the upgrade type of "Increases signature reduction by (however many %)".

I am no coder but i think problem is that it is coded as "Increases signature reduction" instead of being coded as "decreasing signature by %", the way its coded is making double negatives and causing effect to reverse on negative signatures. Another way of putting it is that this specific upgrade type is tryng to get ships signature to 0 no matter if that ship has a positive or negative signature causing an increase in signature once ones ship gets a signature below 0.

I hope this made sense but if it did not, then simply grab a stealth module, get your ship a negative signature and then equip it, you will see increase in sig instead of a further lowering of that negatoive sig

Steveyk
Chief Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2015-03-04 12:45   
there was a post about this before a while back matre somene explained it made sense cant remeber what the post was called though sorry.

Email Steveyk
Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-04 13:54   
Yeah its a known issue, but one the developers claim is intentional.

The justification from the developers I've heard is that the stealth module will always try to bring your sig closest to 0 because thats what the cloaking device requires to fully engage. When your sig is negative this means it will go up, which is usually fine since -0.1 sig is the same as -20 sig in terms of visibility.

The problem I have with that is that if the stealth module did still lower signature when negative, you would have more negative signature to do things like fly faster and fire more weapons. As it stands right now the stealth module seems to make ships that rely on staying in negative signature worse. This pretty much makes the stealth module worthless for any faction but luth.

[ This Message was edited by: Chewy Squirrel on 2015-03-04 13:58 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2015-03-04 18:50   
Yup. It brings signature toward 0, so the only use it has is making it easier for luth to cloak.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2015-03-05 01:48   
Quote:
On 2015-03-04 13:54, Chewy Squirrel wrote:
The problem I have with that is that if the stealth module did still lower signature when negative, you would have more negative signature to do things like fly faster and fire more weapons. As it stands right now the stealth module seems to make ships that rely on staying in negative signature worse. This pretty much makes the stealth module worthless for any faction but luth.

[ This Message was edited by: Chewy Squirrel on 2015-03-04 13:58 ]

Are you certain, sir? Let us say you have -20 signature. Then stealth module will put you at -16 signature. Now, if firing weapons raised your signature by 25, then you'd be at 5 sig without the module, and 4 sig when using it. So it does help you stay less detectable than you would have been otherwise.

Don't see much problem with that, when both increases and decreases are softened. Not to mention that this method is useful but not overpowered. Job well done, whoever implemented it.

Jhomes
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-06 08:14   
I guess i see ur point destiny but still a bit of an odd choice as an item imo. Oh well long as was intentional then i have no issue at all with it.

Page created in 0.016881 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR