No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » No-one likes Dicos
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author No-one likes Dicos
BLADERUNNER2019
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2015-02-28 00:13   
It has been awesome when dicos were broken, game action is fast and fun, why do Dicos need to exist?...what do you think? Dicos or No Dicos?

TroyMars
Chief Marshal
T-Roy! and Friends

Posted: 2015-02-28 01:00   
In the old days when it worked, it would slow down AI/players from capping planets.

Email TroyMars
Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2015-02-28 14:43   
I stopped playing because they are broken.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2015-03-01 01:56   

Polarized views. Things exist within a game mechanics to aid balance in certain ways. In many ways, dicos aid the side with less number of players. Otherwise you'd just be overrun and torn apart by a numerically superior side.

If you wanna get rid of dicos, we'd have to look at forced team/class limits or balancing for unfleeted players by numbers.

Demaclese
Midshipman

Posted: 2015-03-05 22:02   
I resent that, dicos made captureing more difficult yes and gave a small buffer between the running little ship and monstrosity shooting at it. And in disableing dicos makeing planet def pointless pretty much.

im sayn stay with dicos, just for the reason it made larger ship battles more interesting, Strategically placed made for some really tuf combat but it was dooable.

Now its turned into who owns what planet and how many times you recapped it from the ai, good for pres farmin tho poor ai.... oh and building with id made it possible to build defence moons to make capping that much more difficult, adding a degree of difficulty that i expect a good Aged player bomber to know what i speek of.

But im exited tho il play either way really, i see longevity of play either way.

I say make the ai smarter turnng the ai into a formitable force, not numbers. I see all these ai pileing up at planets found it target practice with little defence.
[ This Message was edited by: Demaclese on 2015-03-05 22:06 ]

Email Demaclese
Jhomes
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-06 08:16   
It seemed almost like dicos were broken on purpose to see how game would get on without them, and game works fine without them except for occasional insane ai tranny rushes. I say scrap traditional dicos and instead just make INTERDICTOR cut enemy ship velocity by an extreme number.

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2015-03-06 18:42   
I started play during 1.481. JUST did miss 1.480(often said by the old vets to be the best version) We had Cloud Bombing, Kluth could have the dreaded CL2K, ICC ACs crapped Nuke mines out they aft. Flux EAD were BOSS. The MV was littered with "Death Star" planets, I never once saw a Station.

People rarely played in the MV, 20 people in MV was considered a MASSIVELY EPIC battle. But you could sit in the lobby for hours trying to get into Senario because it only held 100, and it was always full.

Players complained...They nerfed all that.

1.482, Sabot Suppys, UGTO Torp cruiser with AM torps ruled, Kluth were completely nerfed, you could go weeks without seeing one and 99% of the time it was Azreal flying alone in a drainer. They said early on that bombing was impossible with the new planet def and Cloud bombing nerfed until these 3 idiots named Lacrossian, Poison Lizard , and Feralwulf realized that a UGTO Suppy, Anitsensor scout and Command Dread (badass in those days) armed with ALL ECM were effectively Cloaked. In certain systems (nicea) you could build planets with 28 Def bases, and defeat the (at the risk of bragging) "Feralwulf Bombing method".
Then some Dev turned ON Flux/EMP damage, which lead to the 482 Flux wars, because Flux wave could be swapped with Torp and Missile slots, and 2 Flux waves effectively made a frigate "dead in the water" and 6 would do a Dread the same way. Soon people learned you could keep a Charged JD in cargo , swap it out and haul ass... the flux damage was mostly systems anyway.

There were 40-60 players in MV at any given time 24/7/365.

Players complained...They nerfed all that.

Enter THE DARK AGE of DARKSPACE... 1.483.

Mirvs were OMFG OP!!!
QST , IC, and SI were OH THANK GOD OP!!!
Kluth Cloak was OP, but Beacons Jammed it and nerfed it!
WH fishing was ridiculously easy.
A UGTO Agincourt could kill a planet camping dread without being seen...INSTANTLY!
Planet Def was AWESOME...IF it got off one shot.
Mines were OP especially at the gates.

Still, 20 to sometimes as many as 30 people were in MV most of the time.

Players complained. They Nerfed all that.

1.5 - about mid 1.6 my computer couldn't handle playing Darkspace, but I sat in the lobby and witnessed the death of the interdictor Cruisers, the nerfing of various things, Kluth, UGTO, ICC. Finally I could play again, and I did!

Players complained about the size of the MV

Still you could find 10-15 players in MV usually and maybe even 20 on a weekend.

They Nerfed the MV.

Today as of now there are 10 in lobby and I doubt very seriously there are that many in ....whatever the hell that "map" is ....it aint MV and it aint Senario....I don't know wtf it is...

I agree with you TOTALLY! Lets keep Nerfing this game until it FINALLY DIES.

As someone who has been privileged and honored to have sat behind the scences and watched the development of this game just over the last 11 years? I can honestly say 2 things.

1: The Devs and other Staff LISTEN TO and SERIOUSLY consider every idea, complaint, input, and critic of this game, and where ever when ever possible, they have enacted changes. AWESOME and GREAT changes.

2: The Devs and other Staff LISTEN TO and SERIOUSLY consider every idea, complaint, input, and critic of this game, and where ever when ever possible, they have enacted changes.

and we have a near empty lobby, and near empty "MV", and a Near DEAD game.

Years ago I founded a Fleet. We were UGTO but ANTI-GTN. GTN motto was Honor above all, Ours was LOYALTY. They took people only by invite, we took anyone. They were respected, we were feared, hated, hunted. They fought on the terms given to them.... we were adept at adapt.

Make this game anyway you want it to be in your favor. I WILL find a way to beat you. Honor be damned, its war.

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2015-03-08 04:56   
Scenario was the best game mode pre-SY ship spawn resource changes.

Immensely more fun and guaranteed skirmish and battle.

[ This Message was edited by: The Fridge on 2015-03-10 03:20 ]

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2015-03-13 02:10   
Perhaps it is time to consider a sequel?

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-13 05:39   
Quote:
On 2015-03-06 18:42, Feralwulf wrote:
1.5 - about mid 1.6 my computer couldn't handle playing Darkspace, but I sat in the lobby and witnessed the death of the interdictor Cruisers, the nerfing of various things, Kluth, UGTO, ICC. Finally I could play again, and I did!

Players complained about the size of the MV

Still you could find 10-15 players in MV usually and maybe even 20 on a weekend.

I was here at such time.
1.5xx had been the reign of RSM, PB and ICCU. The server was often full with 60 players online at weekend and 15-30 players during weekdays.

It's undeniable that everytime a mass version is released, the number of player has dropped due to failure of adaptation. 1.4 - > 1.5 -> 1.6 -> 1.7

The point is, the game is fine if the player does not play predecessor version.

The game's tendency is to balance, fair and square. Though I doubt more players prefer excesses, unfair, 1 above 5. I realize that commercial games avoid big mechanism changes.

In general, for a game without ads, sponsors, DS is one of the best free game nowaday on the internet. Graphics, sound, connection, forum... is better than other free and commercial game. It's the smartphones, tablets that draw customer from DS. To be honest, smartphones, tablets games have dominated PC, console games in this decade.

With Windows 10 coming, shall the developers make game running on all platforms?

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2015-03-13 16:05   
Interdictors are necessary to stop certain play-styles prevail that would otherwise ruin gameplay for many involved. You may not be able to think of them, but there are a couple I can think of that would be seriously considered as a 'cockerel move' by many. I think we can all agree that any style of gameplay which stops a battle before it happens is one that we don't want. Players logging off because they're pissed off and annoyed because someone jumped in and immediately SD'd on-top of someone over and over again until they die, is not an enjoyable tactic to the majority. Neither is finding a fleet of K'Luth uncloak immediately underneath you and destroy you before you get a chance to defend yourselves.

Interdictors are there to help defending teams defend. They serve a purpose, and they do it well. They may annoy you by stopping you doing what you want, but the bottom line of it all is that they're there to stop exactly that. We don't want you fighting an enemy that has no chance to defend.

And you can rose-glasses all day about previous versions and the player numbers, but each version has had its game stopping bugs. Like players using hidden commands to cheat their way to the frontline of the battle, or jumping in and immediately destroying all your systems so their friends can kill you easily, or perhaps upgrading their small ships so much that they become undestroyable by all but an entire fleet of ships, or perhaps a super weapon that instantly destroyed all new players who even dared to come close to a battle.

Every version has its pro's and con's. People not playing has absolutely nothing to do with nerfing anything (a balanced playing field is always the better field to play in) - it has all to do with the fact that DarkSpace is a 12 year old game, has virtually no advertisement budget other than word of mouth, has generally a very weak/light tutorial for what is essentially quite a deep game at large, and has a very dated UI.

This happens to all games, some games not even 4 years old have less players than this.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2015-03-13 23:09   
Quote:
On 2015-03-13 16:05, Pantheon wrote:
This happens to all games, some games not even 4 years old have less players than this.

there's games that've had better funding/more staff/etc that havent lasted nearly as long. suck it, everyone else.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2015-03-13 23:44   
Quote:
Interdictors are necessary to stop certain play-styles prevail that would otherwise ruin gameplay for many involved. You may not be able to think of them, but there are a couple I can think of that would be seriously considered as a 'cockerel move' by many. I think we can all agree that any style of gameplay which stops a battle before it happens is one that we don't want. Players logging off because they're pissed off and annoyed because someone jumped in and immediately SD'd on-top of someone over and over again until they die, is not an enjoyable tactic to the majority. Neither is finding a fleet of K'Luth uncloak immediately underneath you and destroy you before you get a chance to defend yourselves.

Interdictors are there to help defending teams defend. They serve a purpose, and they do it well. They may annoy you by stopping you doing what you want, but the bottom line of it all is that they're there to stop exactly that. We don't want you fighting an enemy that has no chance to defend.

And you can rose-glasses all day about previous versions and the player numbers, but each version has had its game stopping bugs. Like players using hidden commands to cheat their way to the frontline of the battle, or jumping in and immediately destroying all your systems so their friends can kill you easily, or perhaps upgrading their small ships so much that they become undestroyable by all but an entire fleet of ships, or perhaps a super weapon that instantly destroyed all new players who even dared to come close to a battle.

Every version has its pro's and con's. People not playing has absolutely nothing to do with nerfing anything (a balanced playing field is always the better field to play in) - it has all to do with the fact that DarkSpace is a 12 year old game, has virtually no advertisement budget other than word of mouth, has generally a very weak/light tutorial for what is essentially quite a deep game at large, and has a very dated UI.

Surprisingly we're in complete agreement on this.....almost anyway. It's not so much that people quit because certain things got nerfed, it's more that certain things are around for so long before being changed/balanced/nerfed that it becomes the norm for some people. They expect it to stay that way and when it's eventually changed they suddenly find themselves outside their comfort zone, some adapt and stick around while others quit because they can't deal with their core strategy no longer being viable.

Everything else though, spot on.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2015-03-14 10:11   
Quote:
the fact that DarkSpace is a 12 year old game, has virtually no advertisement budget

Why has Fautus not accepted advertisement on Darkspace like google ads words, pops up etc...
Don't we have enough regular visitors to meet the requirement to have ads on the site?

Neo_Swift
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2015-03-15 16:25   
In the old days, as in before people knew about dicos, just about no-one would use them, thus they were fun because it was only n00bs that were tricked by them.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023691 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR