Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Expand prestige categories, make thankless jobs less thankless!
 Author Expand prestige categories, make thankless jobs less thankless!
BTL3000
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2014-11-10 15:39   
Run point defense for an allied attack fleet for an hour and gain a few prestige due to
your measly attack damage?

Mine a few hundred k resources to allow faction members to spawn new ships and get
nada?

These are thankless jobs, but in a game of space combat/strategy and
planetary/resource management, these and possibly other(I'm new and at a loss for
other examples) support roles go unrewarded.

Perhaps a trickle of prestige for intercepting missiles/mines/fighters intended for allied
ships. Not your own vessel.

Mebbe just a little something for sitting at a planet for an hour and stocking up it's
available resources.

I'm not asking for much, but at least something would be nice. Do it for the
children(Newbs(like me(who are new and get wasted by vets too quickly to know what
happened))).

Sincerely,
That guy who keeps following you around in a recon scout running ECM all night

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-11-10 16:20   
Part of your problem here is that you're doing it wrong. You need to group with the players you're helping. Also, mining in an extractor is very often a waste of time. Instead, build a planet with a ton of mines on it. You'll get construction prestiege out of it AND it will produce forever, and faster than your one extractor too!

That being said... trust me, if they could find a non-exploitable way of giving prestiege for these things, they already would have. Blame exploiters, not the devs.

[ This Message was edited by: Incinarator on 2014-11-10 16:20 ]

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2014-11-10 17:20   
Quote:
On 2014-11-10 15:39, BTL3000 wrote:
Run point defense for an allied attack fleet for an hour and gain a few prestige due to
your measly attack damage?

Mine a few hundred k resources to allow faction members to spawn new ships and get
nada?

These are thankless jobs, but in a game of space combat/strategy and
planetary/resource management, these and possibly other(I'm new and at a loss for
other examples) support roles go unrewarded.

Perhaps a trickle of prestige for intercepting missiles/mines/fighters intended for allied
ships. Not your own vessel.

Mebbe just a little something for sitting at a planet for an hour and stocking up it's
available resources.

I'm not asking for much, but at least something would be nice. Do it for the
children(Newbs(like me(who are new and get wasted by vets too quickly to know what
happened))).

Sincerely,
That guy who keeps following you around in a recon scout running ECM all night

If you supply res to a newly captured planet, you should get a pres increase. If you run PD, you should get pres for every thing that would have caused damage to an ally.

Incin is right though. If you group with the players online, you will gain pres and there is no longer a loss to the group if you die...

-DBS

[ This Message was edited by: -DBS on 2014-11-10 17:22 ]

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2014-11-11 17:33   
Yes BTL you raise good points. I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent resupplying platforms with resources for supply to make them last longer as well as res runs to various planets as well as transporting troops from behind the front line from rear systems to the front. These are all thankless tasks but help the war effort considerably.

'Exploitation' here is a relative term, I suppose the idea is that a person should not advance to a high rank by 'hiding and mining' or doing 'riskless' work, (as in go somewhere far away from the action, orbit a planet and hit g and go afk.

1.704 version changes things I would say, there is no backwater 'safe system' anymore, action can occur wherever and there are all 3 factions platforms and all three factions in one system. Running logistical work therefore should be more acknowledged. Not everyone wants to do combat all the time, or even ever.

I don't think that people who want to play a purely support role should earn any less prestige for doing what they enjoy which is after all vital to the support and continuance of combat operations.

I am aware of the hotfix which stopped ewar prestige but in my opinion the system should have been refined so it works properly accounting for all possible ways of exploitation. Troop carrying from planet to planet should get prestige, systems should be in place to prevent troop loading and unloading on the same planet which nets pres, resource transfer and mining also, sometimes plats need to be topped up to keep them operational. I have spent many many hours myself running resources on far away jump network supply posts to keep them active and have been slow to gain pres as I enjoy to a degree logistical work, its not all pew pew you know.

I see it like this

ewar, PD, res transport (to planets and plats alike), mining , troop transport - garrison reinforcement (not just bomber pres through landing on planets) should all have a thought through system of pres gain.

Encourage people to play the game how they like and don't force people into roles they do not choose just to rank up. I am sure we have lost many would be players of this game cos they found their hard work was not rewarded.

I have been around DS long enough to know that this unfortunately is unlikely to happen. I was elated to see ewar pres in 1.704 and just as unhappy to hear of the hotfix banhammer coming down instead of a compromise solution being reached. The MV is a dangerous place and now it is even dangerouser (not a real word I know! : P ) Let someone mine, asleep at the wheel and they'll soon learn how quick an ai or player comes up to rain on their so called 'exploit'.

[ This Message was edited by: Orkan [OO-XII] on 2014-11-11 17:34 ]

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-11-11 17:49   
Quote:
On 2014-11-11 17:33, Orkan [OO-XII] wrote:
instead of a compromise solution being reached

Please, go ahead and explain in easy to understand terms a method by which exploitation can be simply removed in its entirety in regards to giving EWAR a prestiege payout. If I can find no way to exploit that system I'll give you 5000 credits. If you can't, then please stop belittling the devs by assuming it's 'so easy' to solve these problems. They aren't stupid and if it were really that easy to solve, they already would have done it.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2014-11-11 19:54   

Thing is, when I resupp plats, I don't do it for pres. I did it because either my fleetmates, team, or myself needed it.

Sometimes the reward is not in pres, but in helping the team with their objective. Or, in my own view, playing a part in kicking the enemy's ass....

Page created in 0.013423 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR