No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Space Bases / Platforms...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Space Bases / Platforms...
Deleted

Posted: 2002-04-15 16:30   
Yes I vote to be able to name them, this would be sweet as some fo the Larger Clans im sure would need one or more stations to keep everything in check...

Judas
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-15 22:25   
Oh no! Not Dwarden's tugboat idea again! ahhhhhhh....

The important thing to keep in mind here for the platform's is that it needs to be involved enough for engineers to justify their existance other than dropping hubs on new planets..

Taking into account the ease in which planets are destroyed, I don't feel it should be too tedius to build these structures unless they're going to be beefed up and some sort of alert put in place to spam clanmates when their structure is under attack.

\"Silly Dread, Torps are for kids!\"

Goto the website of Judas
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-16 15:31   
ah! Agrees with Judas Bigtime!

If these are going to take ALOT of resources to build, then we should be able to build ALOT of defenses, as im sure Clans would use these as a way into the MV, to give them a Home Port, and provide security..

Warpath81
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-04-16 20:01   
with this in mind, there should be some special bonus or incentive for blowing up another clan's base. Make them very difficult to kill, but if you happen to be able to kill one, the clan/faction/fleet of players that kills it should get some pretty heafty bonus.

Like for example, place a timer on a station, and if a group of people engage the station and destroyer it, everyone in that fleet (not sure how you would determine that though) would get a certain amount of res or prest or something. Make these space stations very hard to destroy, but also very valuable if you destroy.

I'd also like to say it should take a looong time to build these things. General balance with such a huge implementation is going to be tough, specially with deathstars around right now. If we are going to make this move, then the Defense bases need to be fixed first. Take all offensive weapons off def. bases in the meta and space stations, and force people to build def bases for defense, fighter bases for offense, missle bases for missles, etc. In the scenario, this is not needed, but in the meta, where things are more dynamic and long lasting, something needs to happen. Imagine 2 close planets wth 3 space stations near them of different clans...No fleet save 40 or ships would be able to take out something like that, if the def bases where the way they are now.....even more so, the lag all those things would cause would be tremendous. Lets think in the scape that eventually numbers of that magnitude will be playing.....Making them to powerful (i.e. not seperating def and offensive bases) are going to really cause serious balance issues.

My 2 cents.

Email Warpath81   Goto the website of Warpath81
Deleted
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-04-16 21:26   
Actually how the hell would you destroy one of these? You know how bad it would suck just to have a missile dread and supply cruising the MV swatting these things down for prestige? Or a carrier dread would be just as bad. Jeeze these stations are going to become the next big balance headach, as I am assuming that all planet bombing tactics will work on them ie stacking bombs/PCruise. Yeah that would be nice, 5 hours to build, one stacked pcruise attack and its all gone.

P.S. can you cap these with infantry?

-RedDevil

[ This Message was edited by: RedDevil on 2002-04-16 21:27 ]

Deleted
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-04-17 02:42   
Hello

I love this idea but I would like to see it require a real team effort to build. If it can be built in 10 minutes it will lose some of its team value I feel.

You could make it harder to build by forcing the player to import prebuilt items from planets. Such as reactor cores and other items that the hub will need. Maybe create Hab modules for export by trannys, or Farming modules for use in these stations to provide food.

For this to work you have the engineer build a empty hull and starport with just enough power to run the starpoint and maintain the staff thats needed to work in it.

Then you have players build and transport smaller parts to the empty hull to make it functional. EG adding weapons for use with defences, more reactors for power, more food based facilities.

With each new module that then gets build more equipement would be needed in order to expand it.

It will then prove to be expensive and time consuming to build. This will make it worth more to the players who built it.

It should pull factions together more and make them decide as a faction where these things will be built in order to gain the max benefit from it.

Docking at them could make that station a respawn point when the players dies too.

By adding factory modules and Research modulas it could research and produce its own equipement eventually and be a good place to sell res at a slightly higher price. This would help with trade too and make earning cash a little easier.

It should never be something you can build quickly. To be a valued assest it must require some suffering to build on the part of the player. Otherwise it will just be one more factory to them.

I feel such stations should not be allowed to be built within 3000gu's of the gate. Otherwise the mv will become series isolated systems, a little like the senario servers.

Also the stations should be mean as hell. Stronger than any planet, VERY hard to destroy without a fleet of 10 dreads and support ships that are willing to take heavy loses but such defences should require series work to build up. Forcing the faction building it to defend it until its finished. Reminds me of starwars for some reason

Finally, if you allow players to dock at the station you open up a whole new feature set for the game. Aside from having players build the docking ports to allow more people to land there. You could use the station as a means to review the players stats, transfer funds between players, swap or sell goods they have built to those that require them. Choose missions. Basically turn it into a trade and admininstration center for anybody who docks there.

The posibilities are staggering.

I hope you allow for these after releasing the initial code so they can be added latter as time permits. I feel it would be a major feature for the game if done right and treated as such.

Factions will know how helpful these stations are then and will amass large fleets to prevent the enemy from using them.

It will be fun, it will devasting, it will be Darkspace at its very best imo

If you need a tea boy whilst creating them give me a shout

A very excited Giskard:)

[ This Message was edited by: giskard on 2002-04-17 02:51 ]

JoshBond
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-17 03:02   
it would also be neat if a buildable platform was required to construct dreads and maybe cruisers. only smaller ships could come out of the gates any more and would increase the value of the dread. The dread would become something a team must earn by owning planets and collecting taxes from them and the cost of the dread would come directly form this.

By doing this you would be making the metaverse more friendly to newbies because dreads would be less frequent and the destroyer and cruiser class would become the prevailing class of ships

Email JoshBond
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-17 06:03   
Yup cause right now it's full of dread.

I Vote for that idea two

Big_Al
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-18 01:24   
Okay, dumb question, will these stations be captureable?

Email Big_Al
Dormio Niggling
Cadet
Agents

Posted: 2002-04-18 04:47   
Question: What about maintenance ?
Because everything need resources (to maintenance) I think it have to need resource transported from planets (players have to trade with stations to deliver needed resources). It could be reduced to clan players but I think should not. I don't know what should be with station when the resources run out...
Any suggestions ?
Next question: What will happened when neutral or other clan player will try dock station (the same faction) ?
In this moment I can see clan wars... You can define your enemies from some clans (same faction) or friendly clans (different faction ?). It should has possibility to administrate them - all clan players ?
Any suggestions ?

FishGills
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-18 14:05   
The stations should be used for clan wars. I've always wondered how clan battles would work out in this game... specifically same faction. Clans could move their stations into the same system for clan wars... Say clan A challenges B to a battle over some planets that both clans own. This battle could span across the metaverse. You'd want to move your station somewhere to keep them at bay or to block a jump gate into the system. If done right I think these stations could be more important to clans against clans than actual faction.

If the station is put in orbit of a planet with a starport I think it hsould automatically get the resources it needs from that planet by actually buying them. This improves the planet below's economy while supplying the station with resources. The clan that owns the station needs to make money for the station.

And to make them really hard to capture/destroy what about putting shields on them? Shields make planets quite a bit harder to destroy...

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-18 17:48   
Well got annotehr idea: wen we dock to the stations we could enter an hangar bay... Thus keeping your ship out of harm after you disconnect

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-18 23:19   
Ya, id like to put little signs on the stations, like "Grind's fuel stop. Next fuel 140,000 GU"
or
"Eat at Grinds"

Big_Al
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-19 15:29   
Or, have a big neon sign on the side that says "Blue Heaven".

Email Big_Al
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-04-23 10:58   
Will this be in the next release? Also is the next release going to be this Wednesday? Anyone know?

Please Advise.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030641 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR