No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » future of game
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author future of game
-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2014-08-30 01:17   
Don't understand why everyone is so negative atm, personally I have never had so much fun playing than i have in this version, and nearly earned more pres in a few months than what took me to aquire over 3 years.
Granted, player numbers are low, ICC conquering everything and dread missles are OP.

In my relatively short time with this game though - DS has always been a ghost town in the summer months. At least thats how I've always remebered it. Months after patch time has always been slow too.

Excuses I know. But still. Why such negativity!?
Remember the months leading upto 1.7 release? How we all praised 1.7 and treated it like a divine gift from the great K'luth gods themselves?(lol)

Idk thats just me. I've just learned to appreciate this amazing game despite its occasonial quirks.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2014-08-30 05:07   
Quote:
On 2014-08-30 01:17, -xTc- *XO* wrote:
Remember the months leading upto 1.7 release? How we all praised 1.7 and treated it like a divine gift from the great K'luth gods themselves?(lol)

Idk thats just me. I've just learned to appreciate this amazing game despite its occasonial quirks.

Im with you xtc. I have believed in this game (and it's community) for the most part of the few years i have been here. I have received a lot from this place, and am trying my best so i can be in a position to give something back to it.

If other players quit DS by next year, I'd probably have ended up wasting a year of hard work that i am doing right now.

Painfulangel
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-08-30 07:02   
I'm also quite angry that now I can't even access ships that I used to have that I worked so long for. I have an old Elite Assault Dread sitting in my garage and I can't even use it anymore. it has all my enhancements on it as well. UGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh *shoots self*

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-30 08:03   
Quote:
On 2014-08-30 07:02, Painfulangel wrote:
I'm also quite angry that now I can't even access ships that I used to have that I worked so long for. I have an old Elite Assault Dread sitting in my garage and I can't even use it anymore. it has all my enhancements on it as well. UGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh *shoots self*

The EAD is just the big brother to the Halbard, which is what you actually worked so hard for. The EAD is not the same ship as before. As for the enhancements... they were supposed to be removed from your ship automatically. If they weren't then something went wrong and you need to make a ticket about it.

UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2014-09-07 10:24   
Quote:
On 2014-08-26 08:40, Azreal wrote:
I disagree.

The problem isnt DS' age, its about the fact that it is stuck in a time warp.

The current gaming market is completely different than years gone by. PC gaming came in and wupped consol gaming for a good few years, and this was the hay-day of MMOs. That day is now gone, and most likely forever.

More gamers are playing app games than either consol OR pc games. The convenience, improved graphics, and availability of app games will only increase from here too.

And look at what some of these apps offer! I play a very DS-like app now. Their "metaverse" is well thought out and drives the PvP. They have safe zones were you can fight pirates to get resources. The two resources that are rarest pop up in the PvP zone, and, again, drives PvP to aquire them. The ships can be leveled out and cutomized to a far greater extent than DS allows. The grouping schemes give an actual REASON to group up, as it pools together everyone's cash bonus.
The way they deal with death is better too. No penalty for dying in the way of lost "prestige" earned. Instead, similar to the original SWG, you don't get back a full health ship, and it cant be repaired to full health without spending "money" or letting it stay docked for a period of time.

There are events about 2-3 times an hour that give yet another reason to PvP.

And for all that, I don't pay one single dime unless I am just less patient than rich (which I am).

Now, Here's DS: PvP is basically pointless, as the goal of capturing a planet returns nothing but a couple points. You can fight for an hour to get pres, and die in 30 seconds and lose even more than you just earned. The metaverse is so ill thought out, and does nothing to drive the PvP. The resources are irrelevant. There is no ai for those dull moments when there arent any players on. You offer ai to purchase, but dont allow players to control them. And those have to be paid for with real money. And half the time they dont even work.
Lack of faction locking allows players to float to the easy button, flavor of the month faction, instead of having a reason to stick it out and fight through a tough situation.
Ds punishes a player for trying to defend a system outnumbered, or for trying to fix an ill-built planet, which is the exact REASON people just say screw it and log out.
Customization is basically non-existant. Slap some combination of upgrades on and go. Half of them are ambiguous in their description, and others are suspect in their performance. All must be bought with real cash. No-uh-uh. I didnt get rich paying for garbage.
And, frankly, the staff have these big thoughts and goals, which would be ok if DS were a real MMO, but it just falls flat because that isnt what DS is.
All these tiered ships? Should have been 8 years ago, when there was a player base to use them effectively. The more DS has shrunk, the more the staff has forced this "teamwork" concept on the players remaining.
Guess what. This saying is true; the customer is ALWAYS right. You want my money? sell me a product I will buy.

DS was originally a very good scenario game. The entire way that it worked was PERFECT for that type of scheme. It has done absolutely nothing but phail since the Meta was brought online. The last 3 years or so, despite all the development, have been just dreadful. The reason is because the development is creating a game that the players don't like. That should be obvious, as the players have fled, and so few new players have bothered.

I really do hope that it gets turned around at some point. Keep It Simple Stupid is also a true saying. The reason I play the app game over DS has a great deal to do with its simplicity. Most people (may be hard for code monkies to grasp this, but I'll try) most people hate math. I want to play a game, not sit at my computer with a calculator running numbers to see what my odds of success are. The cost of failure being too high, it usually leads to hitting the escape button and logging.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this. That's fine. But I figured that I would try to critic some of the issues as I see them. I have faint hopes that F will eventually get a handle on the game, but honestly, nothing in the past decade points to this being a possibility.

In the meantime, I'll just wait until he is ready to sell the rights to the game, and maybe Ill pick it up and run with it myself. I mean, I have bought whole cars to get an engine I wanted, this aint a whole lot different. The potential is there, its the execution that is left wanting. With the correct focus, DS could be as big or bigger than it was before-possibly. There is still the issue with competing app gaming, but then that's happens to be an area I would expand DS into.

Those are my thoughts, get your own.

I completely could NOT have said it better myself. When I started back in 2002, and was a teenager, I could have cared less about things so long as I had something to play and shoot at. As an adult now, I firmly believe if Im going to put money towards something, I want to put money towards something worth while.

Most of us older players (Meaning 10+ years) remember days where player battles ranging from 40+ players in the fray was normality, and everyone wonders why the older players have left? Limme give you guys a slight reality check here;

1) Im wanting PVP, as do most of the players who have left
2) A lot of us get tired of making good thought out suggestions only to get ignored, the players who have played hard core for years have terrific input, but it typically falls on deaf ears
3) As Az stated, the things we have now, IE Tiered Ships; would have been better ten years ago when we had a sizable player base to make Tiered Ships worth while to have.
4) TEAMWORK, TEAMWORK, TEAMWORK. This game was designed around players working as a TEAM. Not solo capturing entire systems, and surely not defending an entire system against overwhelming odds ALONE, which is also caused by faction hopping to the favorite faction of the week.

I could draw out a list to about 100 easily, but wont because I highly doubt anyone here would read that far before flaming me out of existence.

Point in fact is this, the game was obviously very successful in the older versions, and for good reason. You want to make a great game, and have great visions for the future, thats awesome and I commend Faustus and the Devs for that, however, as the customer, and a lot of other players would probably agree, we dont have a product that we like nor want, hence the slow death of the game. And yes I used SLOW DEATH for a reason. Its not just a player slump, the game is literally on its deathbed right now...(Im not going to sugar coat it or be P/C either)

Theres no goal, theres no reward to drive players to go that extra mile, to try harder. You pop into the MV, go pew pew at some AI, maybe the random Player, then log. Sorry, Im not putting money into something that is literally just going to be a waste of time and cause more bordem and stress than fun.

I love DS with everything I am, it was my very first MMO, and I would come back if things came back online, sadly I dont see this becoming the case unless some drastic changes take effect.

And for all those who have NOT been around that long, please do not preach to us about how great the game is in its current state. If its good for you awesome, we're happy for you, but I can promise this: Darkspace will NEVER see its older playerbase return, unless the game goes from its current state into something that the players are happy with.

Lack of Respect for Customer Input (Customer is ALWAYS Right) = Unhappy Customer
Unhappy Customer = Dead Product

Email UnknownWarrior
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-09-09 13:20   
This is not a truly commercial MMO, to be honest. We're too familiar with commercial MMOs and what strategies the publishers done to swallow money. DarkSpace just collect enough money for server & bandwith. All dev work voluntarily, no salary. And still they're spending countless time support the game at various aspects.

Frankly, it's an insultation to demand volunteer to serve customer's happiness. This is a free game, except there is a few stuff for keeping server alive. It's totally unfair to say that dev teams have deaf ears. They have always listened and responded to interesting or serious idea. And they have ignored what they're tired to deny or reject. On the other hand, it's those commercial MMO who have deaf ears. I've been around some forums, the answer is always likely "thank you for your suggestion, we understand and will try our best to satisfy...". It's like bot chatting. I'm happy that in DS forum, we're discussing like friends, not like customers.

It's also weird that DS forum has many, many suggestions and anger. When I read Firefox add-on, Chrome store, I don't hear people asking for anything. They only appreciate and wish for the next version. DS player must be more passionate and loyal over the game than lots of other games.

The point is, Darkspace has quite a long pause between update due to lack of human power. Waiting is what makes followers borrow and negative attitude appear. No one will come to forum to write long essay as long as they're busy playing the game itself.

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2014-09-09 14:55   
Quote:
On 2014-08-25 17:07, Incinarator wrote:
Next, remove as many sources of ECM as you can (kill friendly ewar ships).

I know that's a typo but....FF killing would only cause the opposite effect of gaining players and or increasing fun...unless youre a troll.

[ This Message was edited by: Entil-Zha the Starkiller on 2014-09-09 14:56 ]

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-09-09 16:42   
Quote:
On 2014-09-09 14:55, Entil-Zha the Starkiller wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-08-25 17:07, Incinarator wrote:
Next, remove as many sources of ECM as you can (kill friendly ewar ships).

I know that's a typo but....FF killing would only cause the opposite effect of gaining players and or increasing fun...unless youre a troll.

[ This Message was edited by: Entil-Zha the Starkiller on 2014-09-09 14:56 ]

That was not a typo. I think you misunderstand it, though. I meant kill friendly AI ewar ships, or tell friendlies to turn theirs off. The situation was that there were too many AI, so it was the first thing I thought. I've had to kill AI to cap planets before.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-09-11 04:22   
No no no all wrong. You seem to miss the point. Another game can be more effective in letting you achieve your goals bla bla etc, but I have heard none of you about how to be completely retarded and how many options this game gives you.

the small community makes any trolls noticed, flying around in a scout pewing away at a fleet without dying...much...can be just as fun as fleet vs fleet battles. in fact i find em more fun, since its not as slow. All the changes to the game have been major in the background, but the interface and gameplay hasnt changed. the game changes are there to spread to evil. In one version a certain type of player excells while others fail. In another version it flips over.

You all need to take things less serious and just fly around and be sneaky. Or make yourself laugh by trying to cap a planet using only 1 finger. The atmosphere can be very suiting in this game for that kind of gameplay

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2014-09-27 15:46   
I agree with Az in that this game was best when it was scenario. I've contemplated reinstalling numerous times and I never do because I just don't have the desire to play this version. I understand that planet defense and capping was server intensive but the way it works now is just no fun. I miss the old days when it was Procyon map in scenario, and teams would rush to cap the valuable planets and clusters. If you capped the Procyon 13 cluster (I think that was the name) you could build the two small planets Taz and Durn with heavy defense and watch the beam and torpedo defense spam. Even fighter defense spam back when that was a building option.

I fondly remember racing to cap, build and defend at the beginning of each map, everyone trying hard to build up their planets enough to start spawning cruisers and dreads. I'm talking before shipyards, back when various elements were highly valuable (darkmatter, urdanium, hypermatter etc.) but even after shipyards it was hectic fun. It was usually ICC vs UGTO, and sometimes a Kluth map, and you could play whatever faction you felt like at the time. There weren't many stations or even dreads because of the resource requirements, and everyone crammed on the same map meant there was always action.

I spent more time building planets than fighting, and scenario was excellent for it. There was great satisfaction in fully building a cluster into a death trap.

The MV to me was always meh, and when planet defense was changed the fun was gone. Necessary or not it did more to "kill" this game for me than any other changes.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2014-09-28 14:47   
FYI... So the good news, is we are changing the MV to be smaller and have objectives like the scenarios.

Goto the website of Faustus
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-09-28 14:55   
Quote:
On 2014-09-28 14:47, Faustus wrote:
FYI... So the good news, is we are changing the MV to be smaller and have objectives like the scenarios.

And I also hope supply platform will act as a depot range, instead of repair drone. It's irritating that supply platform heals itself instead of players during battle. And the pack of plats focus repair drones on the first one coming.

And ICC planetary shield should be either removed or becomes a 10% bonus planet defense.

What bother right now, is when a faction has no SY in a cluster, then there is no AI to support.
[ This Message was edited by: DiepLuc on 2014-09-28 16:09 ]

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-09-28 15:17   
Ahh old defence bases and ridiculous (but fun) layouts on dreads/stations

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2014-09-28 15:32   
its simple, dont try to change the rules during flight:P. most people see trough that very fast then leave. others see it as a challenge and finally, as a place where you may fail in achieving what you want. This is the only game that offers that, and whatever makes it harder is good. Problem is lack of teamspirit. basically there is 1 team and a handfull of semi botlike players who try to stop them. If the actual strong creative players divide up over each faction not because of max pres gain, but to max fun gameplay, then the game can start like "the old days". all the balancing and new implements are there to keep things fresh and new, to keep exploiters sharp who keep writing bots to do all the hard work and attempt to gain fun out of this game by farming then qq that its to boring.

so, what do you want? use exploits in a game that never changes, or figure out the rules about each day you fly because of all the random events depending on the player you fight? Try to find the weakspot in odds that seem impossible, or just walse trough with 3 vs 1 odds with stations? The only type of player that gets bored with this game is the one that likes to click 3 times then get a reward. The community these days of young players are totally retarded, just look at any GTA 5 "fun" compilation. you only see players working 30 min for a short 10 sec moment of fun. Isnt this game more effective then that? the only problem is that you dont get continious feedback of information during the 30 min process...

just: respect eachother, look for good fights instead of sure wins, dont cheat to much if you notice the other isnt as well, and all be well. The only problem is there, where people are looking for an easier way to gain stuff without actually doing anything for it (grouping dread noobs *cough*)

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2014-09-28 15:32   
*burp
[ This Message was edited by: Boerenkool on 2014-10-03 08:34 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023332 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR