No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - almand

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » future of game
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
 Author future of game
Jaydawg
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2015-05-03 17:07   
Still one of the best games I ever played online as a teen. Hours a night in the lobby and game visiting and playing. Back in the old days wasnt super busy constantly but on that one weekend there would be 60 people online battling it out and your biggest problem was the massive lag that would happen. I've thought about picking DS up again but the constant bickering on the forums is a complete turn off. Maybe people don't enjoy that old style of play anymore. I do remember the problems with updates and balance and the such, but I also remember that if there was no lag, fun could still be had by all. But oh well, maybe in this new time we can all find a happy medium and give everyone a little slice of what they want!

Email Jaydawg   Goto the website of Jaydawg
Chubba
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2015-05-07 18:42   
Quote:
On 2015-04-10 03:00, Crim wrote:

2003 son.
Two thousand and three.

That's how long I've been here folks.

And you're idea of "balancing out the game" won't work.

*NOD*
[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2015-05-07 23:25 ]

Senti-Onikawa
Admiral

Posted: 2015-05-08 22:34   
I... I just don't get it. What is the point of this topic being remade a billion times and then people saying "m-muh rpg customization" as though DS fits into that genre? What about DarkSpace is RPG? I don't see it. Fine, customization does make a game a bit more fun. But you know what makes a game memorable and replayable? When the devs stop trying to "improve" it with gut-punches to everyone. And unfortunately, the devs for DS have done that in spades.

I'm ICC and I've seen the metamorphosis from hit n' run faction to "Stephen Hawkings with motor functions" in the space of nearly 5 or so years. I started at the arse end of when the server exceeded a population of 5 on any given day. Now? The server is lucky to hit 10 most days. Not only that, but there is this unreal expectation that by crippling one faction and making minor changes to others, the game will somehow regain its former glory. No. Stop that. You're not Bioware, guys. You don't have a soulless publisher to fund your yearly duck-ups.

And I apologize for the crude language, but it seems the devs need someone to be blunt. I do appreciate all you guys do and when I come back to play, I have something new to bitch about/love. I have new tar-friends to play with and new ships to experiment with. Unfortunately, you're digging your own graves with all these unnecessary changes to ships and it really does show. The problem is with the ships; but look at the bigger picture, too. I don't mind flying a space go-kart with pellet guns so long as there is reason to do it. Right now, I spend more time burning in engineers and trannies than I do blasting newbs in my decked-out cruiser. See the problem?

You don't have the population to justify nerfs or power-creeps. You're trying to balance the game and not to sound like an ass, but you're out of touch with the game and its players. You're assuming that reducing a few numbers improves the "balance" of the game when it really doesn't. A game like Darkspace is supposed to have overpowered stuff on one side or another that people whine about. People who are bad at the game will whine the loudest because they have trouble getting around something a dozen of their peers already know how to 1v1. Your mistake is listening to the whiners.

You don't need to implement major overhauls like killing the effectiveness of stations or dreads to make it balanced or making sure one faction's missiles make the other two look like guided turds. What you DO need to do is implement a restriction system that limits how many tanks can be accessed at a time, and when those times would be appropriate. I already posted an idea on the Line Station and if asked, would be willing to give more ideas. As I recall before 1.7, ICC MD was a glass cannon and the combat dread took as much as she could dish. Obviously, the fleet carrier fit a specific niche role that is no longer a major focus of the game so why would anyone use it?

See, right there I pointed out a few issues. We don't have a large map anymore, so why would I want to pull out a combat or missile dread when my t-heavy used to do the job? Why would I bother with a fleet carrier when a trannie armed with bombs is enough for me? What point is there to a line station when a combination trannie/engi are enough for the job? I feel like this is a repetitive point that nobody seems to get, least of all the devs. We don't need a balanced game. Give us back the stats that made 1.5/1.6 fun and either implement a restriction system on certain ships, or remove them completely. Hell, restrict them and give the people what they're demanding with customization, and make it so what you unlock is based on planet resources/rank/fame.

Make the people work for it. If everyone is a chief marshal, make them work for that extra fin on the port side or an extra forward-mounted gauss cannon. Make it so they have to use a specific ship constantly and gain recognition while using that ship. Make it so that based on their rank, they need to work their way up for better stuff. There. The "we want customization!" issue was fixed. Oh, and if they are destroyed in the ship they want to customize, they lose fame and the parts that were added through.

\"That's a good question... I wish I had an answer.\"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Page created in 0.010019 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR