No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » future of game
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author future of game
xTx
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-07-28 19:09   
I know a lot of the older players will agree with me when i say Darkspace use to be fun to play, thats no longer the case. I took about a year away from the game because it was boring to play, since coming back I see that nothing has improved, game is still boring.

I am going to make a few suggestions that would make me a paying and playing fan of Darkspace.

1.... Let the players create their own ships lay-outs, allow the freedom to place what they want on their ships subject to the restrictions of class and faction,stop trying to balance ships and let the players do it.

2... Get rid of that stupid planet capturing system, boooorrrrring. the need to bomb and drop inf to cap a planet needs to be brought back.

3... Bring the idea of having skill to play Darkspace back, skill to bomb planets, skill to fly ships, skill to build planets. Stop trying to build a game where everyone is equal, stop punishing the skilled players to benefit noobs and dumbies, let people learn to be good players.

This game has become like a Football game where nobody keeps score, play for 60 mins, shake hands and go home nobody wins and nobody loses

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-07-28 21:43   
Honestly, just compressing the MV or putting a big red arrow that says "ENEMIES HERE" on the map to force additional confrontation would alone go a long way towards reducing boredom. It used to be that we could reliably rely on AI to scout and light up any enemies, but now that AI rarely spawn, even more rarely scout, only spawn from friendly shipyards, and can't cross brown gates means that the only way to find enemies is to:

1. Build a bunch of recon platforms every day (a tedious job)
2. Check the killboard and hope that the fight is still going on (and that only narrows it down to a constellation)
3. Use your intuition to try and guess where enemies are
4. See a red blinking circle on the map if one of your planets is under attack.
5. /y "Anyone online?" "Where are you?"

All of them are unreliable and/or tedious.

Now I'm not saying there aren't other issues. There are. But there have always been major issues with darkspace, and they have rarely lowered the amount of combat to today's levels.
[ This Message was edited by: Chewy Squirrel on 2014-07-29 02:47 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2014-07-29 11:26   
Quote:
On 2014-07-28 19:09, xTx wrote:
I know a lot of the older players will agree with me when i say Darkspace use to be fun to play, thats no longer the case. I took about a year away from the game because it was boring to play, since coming back I see that nothing has improved, game is still boring.

I am going to make a few suggestions that would make me a paying and playing fan of Darkspace.

1.... Let the players create their own ships lay-outs, allow the freedom to place what they want on their ships subject to the restrictions of class and faction,stop trying to balance ships and let the players do it.

2... Get rid of that stupid planet capturing system, boooorrrrring. the need to bomb and drop inf to cap a planet needs to be brought back.

3... Bring the idea of having skill to play Darkspace back, skill to bomb planets, skill to fly ships, skill to build planets. Stop trying to build a game where everyone is equal, stop punishing the skilled players to benefit noobs and dumbies, let people learn to be good players.

This game has become like a Football game where nobody keeps score, play for 60 mins, shake hands and go home nobody wins and nobody loses

1. I've suggested ways to do this that wouldn't be so abusable by the players, but it's always stated that players will find a way to create the ultimate loadout.
I disagree with this, as there will always be situations where a certain specialized design will triumph over the others.

2. Planet capturing does require bombing and infantry drops to speed up the capturing, though bombing tends to be more surgical than it used to be with the cloud bombing.

3. I can't recall what DS used to be like, so I'm curious what you mean about things requiring skill. All I remember is constantly lag spiking into planets that I wasn't anywhere close to, and getting insta-popped by friendly stations using a screen flashy device ._.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2014-07-29 11:27 ]

Stealth7
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2014-08-24 03:41   

Exactly.

If you were to make a sever for the older version of darkspace would be perfect and time saving, I don't need the advanced graphics,. And the sound effects were alot better

And Talking about using skill some systems/galaxy's used to actually rotate in real time. Making a ever changing strategically enhanced battles.

Waiting till 2 or more planets align close together before sneaking a foothold with few players, 2 or more planets close together are easier to defend when outnumbered.

Miss that the most
[ This Message was edited by: Stealth7 on 2014-08-24 03:51 ]

*Flash*
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-24 09:34   
Exactly and we need less sistems. Since ive started playing the game never had so few players. This should be a question mark for you guys!

Email *Flash*
Rykros1987
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2014-08-24 17:08   
Priority 1 should be to fix the AI. Back when I first joined I had the good fortune of getting to kill ai for pres and dodge the occasional enemy dread trying to eat my little ships when I was lower rank by jumping away.

Without AI new players are forced to either:
1.Join a massive fleet on one side and harass the other factions.(not much pres as almsot everytime I see a newbie they usually die first in combat because their less experienced and so easier to target thus being immediate targets that the bigger ships just vaporize)

2. Try to fight ai that doesn't exist much anymore. (and yes theres MI but try that at a lower rank.....gf gf )

3. Quit the game because the only way you can gain rank is when players are on and everyone in bigger ships are ganking you when you show up.

That's the crappy selection newbies have now instead of finding space ai battles and gaining pres from them. It was way easier for lower ranks back when the ai actually worked.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-25 16:54   
I think the change between versions (1.4->1.5->1.6->1.7) is too big that somebody can not keep up with.
[ This Message was edited by: DiepLuc on 2014-08-26 11:36 ]

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-25 17:07   
Quote:
On 2014-08-25 16:54, DiepLuc wrote:
There is an issue with the current planet capture and AI mechanism.

The last time I played scenario, I could not capture planet in Mycopia due to ICC negative signature. There is no way to increase the signature since the ECCM only effects enemy. Engineer - no, infantry - no. I used the assualt frigate flying at max speed and continue pressing spacebar and the signature rose for a faction of a second.
Now, how to capture a planet? There is no one. I have to do all tasks by myself and red AI outnumber me and overgun me. Platform does not help.

The initial idea was to make capturing harder. However, AI number is no longer fixed. They are equal with players in both number and class. A team get the same difficulty regardless the number of members! Again, infantry and platform provide very small contribution.

It's extreme that ANTI-sensor is considered a must structure to defend planet!

Because capturing planet has become not a single job, I have to quit playing cause when I need help, there is NO one nor NO AI aiding.

Waiting has been the main factor in game: rotation, acceleration, recharge, capturing, building... Dread is turtle, station is snail, cruiser is sloth... Really boring. This is an action game, nobody expects such a slow speed. We need-for-speed cure in the ship system. Dread, station can be weaker, more fragile, but please not to be slower because the time to play game is less and less as we're aging.

I've been in the first situation. The solution to your problem is a list of steps. First, land infantry on the planet to capture it. Next, remove as many sources of ECM as you can (kill friendly ewar ships). Next, get in a ship that is either large enough to overcome the signature decrease or has enough EWAR to baloon its signature. I remember capturing Mycopia by simply flying around at high speed.

I don't understand your point about the AIs. Yes, they get spawned in relation to how large/ranked your force is. YES THAT'S A GOOD THING! The game should give you more challenge for being a better pilot. Simply blow up or scare off the AIs.

The only time I consider anti-sensors necessary for defense is when building platforms. Remember, anti-sensors and ECM no longer effect your enemies. These would not help you keep them from capturing your planet by decreasing their signature. I don't understand your point here.

Capturing can't be done solo? I disagree with that. I capture solo all the time. You simply load up a bomber with infantry and then bomb the enemy planet, then drop the infantry. Same as before. You can transfer over more infantry to help it capture faster by getting in another ship. I don't see how that can't be done solo, especially since I can do it just fine.

Dreads and Stations are supposed to be slow. They're huge death machines you don't want to get in front of... but they had to trade off speed for that advantage. If you want to go fast, use a cruiser or destroyer. Yes, it won't do as much damage. Yes, it can't accomplish what a dread or a station can. Yes, that's fine. They do the reverse trade off: they give up raw damage for speed. They can do things dreads and stations can't. They can get in and out without dying. They can be reasonably steathed with EWAR. They can survive having missiles thrown at them just by dodging. That's perfectly fine, and having it any other way would just make anything other than dreads and stats useless. I really don't want to return to dread or statspace, thanks.

Also, platforms and stations do not help in capturing a planet anymore, just fyi.

[ This Message was edited by: Incinarator on 2014-08-25 17:08 ]

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-25 21:04   
I think after ten years, DarkSpace's pretty much exhausted itself.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-26 08:40   
I disagree.

The problem isnt DS' age, its about the fact that it is stuck in a time warp.

The current gaming market is completely different than years gone by. PC gaming came in and wupped consol gaming for a good few years, and this was the hay-day of MMOs. That day is now gone, and most likely forever.

More gamers are playing app games than either consol OR pc games. The convenience, improved graphics, and availability of app games will only increase from here too.

And look at what some of these apps offer! I play a very DS-like app now. Their "metaverse" is well thought out and drives the PvP. They have safe zones were you can fight pirates to get resources. The two resources that are rarest pop up in the PvP zone, and, again, drives PvP to aquire them. The ships can be leveled out and cutomized to a far greater extent than DS allows. The grouping schemes give an actual REASON to group up, as it pools together everyone's cash bonus.
The way they deal with death is better too. No penalty for dying in the way of lost "prestige" earned. Instead, similar to the original SWG, you don't get back a full health ship, and it cant be repaired to full health without spending "money" or letting it stay docked for a period of time.

There are events about 2-3 times an hour that give yet another reason to PvP.

And for all that, I don't pay one single dime unless I am just less patient than rich (which I am).

Now, Here's DS: PvP is basically pointless, as the goal of capturing a planet returns nothing but a couple points. You can fight for an hour to get pres, and die in 30 seconds and lose even more than you just earned. The metaverse is so ill thought out, and does nothing to drive the PvP. The resources are irrelevant. There is no ai for those dull moments when there arent any players on. You offer ai to purchase, but dont allow players to control them. And those have to be paid for with real money. And half the time they dont even work.
Lack of faction locking allows players to float to the easy button, flavor of the month faction, instead of having a reason to stick it out and fight through a tough situation.
Ds punishes a player for trying to defend a system outnumbered, or for trying to fix an ill-built planet, which is the exact REASON people just say screw it and log out.
Customization is basically non-existant. Slap some combination of upgrades on and go. Half of them are ambiguous in their description, and others are suspect in their performance. All must be bought with real cash. No-uh-uh. I didnt get rich paying for garbage.
And, frankly, the staff have these big thoughts and goals, which would be ok if DS were a real MMO, but it just falls flat because that isnt what DS is.
All these tiered ships? Should have been 8 years ago, when there was a player base to use them effectively. The more DS has shrunk, the more the staff has forced this "teamwork" concept on the players remaining.
Guess what. This saying is true; the customer is ALWAYS right. You want my money? sell me a product I will buy.

DS was originally a very good scenario game. The entire way that it worked was PERFECT for that type of scheme. It has done absolutely nothing but phail since the Meta was brought online. The last 3 years or so, despite all the development, have been just dreadful. The reason is because the development is creating a game that the players don't like. That should be obvious, as the players have fled, and so few new players have bothered.

I really do hope that it gets turned around at some point. Keep It Simple Stupid is also a true saying. The reason I play the app game over DS has a great deal to do with its simplicity. Most people (may be hard for code monkies to grasp this, but I'll try) most people hate math. I want to play a game, not sit at my computer with a calculator running numbers to see what my odds of success are. The cost of failure being too high, it usually leads to hitting the escape button and logging.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this. That's fine. But I figured that I would try to critic some of the issues as I see them. I have faint hopes that F will eventually get a handle on the game, but honestly, nothing in the past decade points to this being a possibility.

In the meantime, I'll just wait until he is ready to sell the rights to the game, and maybe Ill pick it up and run with it myself. I mean, I have bought whole cars to get an engine I wanted, this aint a whole lot different. The potential is there, its the execution that is left wanting. With the correct focus, DS could be as big or bigger than it was before-possibly. There is still the issue with competing app gaming, but then that's happens to be an area I would expand DS into.

Those are my thoughts, get your own.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Painfulangel
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-08-28 23:36   
Preach it! I'm not exactly an old player but when I joined, the game was fun, addicting and had a hell of a lot more players. Now, as I download the game for what would seem like 100th time again, I already feel disappointed with the criticism DS is receiving.

Nine Arts Dragon
Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-29 07:07   
Darkspace still has a future. we will see what 1.704 brings

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-29 13:01   
I heard it will be released in "Two Weeks©". I can't wait!!!

-DBS

xTx
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-29 15:47   
I wish I had Azreal's communication skills. He said what I was trying to say. Fautus started with a game that was fun to play and with each update has turned it into what we have today, thats whats so frustrating.

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-08-29 23:34   

[ This Message was edited by: Chewy Squirrel on 2014-08-29 23:38 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024646 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR