Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Sieging and Missles.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author Sieging and Missles.
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2014-04-23 16:53   
Quote:
On 2014-04-23 16:04, Chewy Squirrel wrote:

Until someone grabs their 80% T3 engy and builds 5 defence plats in 35 seconds, and then you are back to square one. Although the new siege torps might help...

Platform spam is, in fact, exactly what siege torps are meant to counter.

Email Jim Starluck
Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2014-04-23 20:47   
not sure if this is the right place , but speaking of the 'death penalty' it really really needs to go. i play STO and it it more fun to play knowing that i wont be de-ranked b/c of dying. however i do believe that a re-spawn timer would make DS better to play. another idea would be that the penalty stays but you cant be de-ranked because of dying..

just my 25 creds worth

*****peace*****
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Cold Death
Admiral

Posted: 2014-04-26 10:01   
Quote:
On 2014-04-23 20:47, Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM* wrote:
not sure if this is the right place , but speaking of the 'death penalty' it really really needs to go. i play STO and it it more fun to play knowing that i wont be de-ranked b/c of dying. however i do believe that a re-spawn timer would make DS better to play. another idea would be that the penalty stays but you cant be de-ranked because of dying..

just my 25 creds worth

*****peace*****

I tend not to agree with this. The reason being that the notion of losing something because you died in other MMOs is almost unheard of. As you said, there is no pentalty for getting killed in STO. If you take a look at other examples, such as WoW, you notice that a death penalty is almost non-existent. In fact, the only thing you lose when you die in other games is time. Either through a re-spawn timer or having to walk back to your corpse, you practically only waste your time spent getting back into the game.

Now, I don't think we should have something like this in DS because the last thing anyone here wants is for it to just blend into the endless stream of dead MMOs which copy each-other. Keeping the game as unique as possible is a key to future success, in my opinion.

That being said, there really needs to be a way to make combat more worth it. There needs to be an actual point to capping planets. Seeing more blue, white or red on the metaverse map is nice, but it's not a goal, it's a result. Planets are ultimately useless at the moment, and I truly hope the 1.8 update fixes that.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2014-04-26 11:03   
You're talking about standard MMOs where most combat is PvE, for a better comparison to Darkspace you have to look at MMOs like Lineage or UO that have open world PVP. What happened when you died in Lineage? There was a chance some of your equipment would drop to be looted by the player who killed you, or just anyone who happened to wander by your corpse if you were killed by mobs. Ultima Online? Even harsher, everything you were carrying was left on your corpse.

DS is also not the only MMO that carries EXP penalties or even leveling down on death but it is by far the easiest MMO to stay alive in that I have ever played, especially now that Interdictors are no longer shipboard gadgets. With each new version since I've been here it only gets easier to stay alive. If you die in the current version by my own estimate I'd have to say 8/10 times it's going to be your own fault. There's several MMOs that carry harsh EXP penalites for dying, the one that sticks in my mind the most was FFXI which also included leveling down. Ragnarok Online originally had -10% of your current exp on death, which in higher levels was so ludicrously high it would literally take you a full day or sometimes even longer to be back to where you were, it was later changed to -1% of what you needed for the next level but that was actually even worse when you got into higher levels when the best you could hope for per kill was something like .001%. Dream of Mirror was similar, -10% of what was needed for your next level on death and you could even go into negative EXP, up to -50%.

So DS is not really that bad with exp loss, at least here you can control how much you'll lose. No other game I have ever played let alone heard of has that feature.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.011443 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR