No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Missile ships: Solvo Fire vs Stagger Fire
 Author Missile ships: Solvo Fire vs Stagger Fire
Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2014-03-25 17:09   
"How to overwhelm point def and hit ur target" this same thought shared by everyone who flies a missile ship.

I've always been of the salvo school: instant saturation to muscle ur way past pd.

It's simpler, just space bar mash, and frankly missilers have enough to worry about as it is, ammo, energy, ship direction(changes missile launch curvature), speed and distance btw u and the nearest enemy ship, enemy ship who's ready to jump u, enemy ship who just jumped and is therefore a good target. ur own jd/ecm/cloak status. <= rant, ignore

only adv i thought stagger/stream fire provided was a small increase in accuracy on small fast targets. even then its not worth the lost in allowing enemy to lieasurely pd ur missiles piecemeal.

But today I ran into a senario that proved otherwise. Our side had 3 MDs targeting a wounded EAD with a BS and a suppy providing pd for it. I notice the guy next to me really streaming out his missiles, and i was rolling my eyes thinking 'nub'. We were operating at exteme range due to the BS's treb missiles, so target lock on the suppy was fading in and out, but he was really working it. Bizaro, i think, hats off to u , sir.

About 70% into the EAD's hull, i noticed the stagger fire guy was getting much more consistant results than my salvo fire. only 2-3%hull/armor/per shot but it was always happening. My salvo could take out 10% or more, but it was only every 3rd salvo.

I'm still trying to figure out happened. dosen't help it was 3000gu away. But i'm guessing: 1.) Possible glich in the sysm, when pd a tight cluster of missile, a single good angle pd shot may take out more than 1 missiles.

2.) the stagger/stream out fire was tricking the defending ships to waste pd shots at the same missile, and their pd screen became less efficient.

what do u guys think? I lean towards the 2nd one, think this could work in a large scale missile/fighter siege?
[ This Message was edited by: Delando on 2014-03-25 17:13 ]

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2014-03-25 18:51   
i used stream kinda salvos. not a constant stream but firing missiles in rapid sucession and doing full turns while shooting, so every missile had sifferent angle to begin with, wich results with different flight trajectory. wich in the end means, higher chance to hit small moving target.

but i dont use stream fire on bigger targets. what you describe is kinda odd. never seen pd getting wasted two lasers on one missile. its possible that you overwhelmed their pd. your salvo could easily kept their pd busy for streamer to get his shots connected. also it may be that missile alone does not generate as much sig as couple of them in tight cluster. but thats just my toughts.. dont take my words, i dont play much lately

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-03-26 00:16   
Quote:
On 2014-03-25 18:51, Ravendark wrote:
its possible that you overwhelmed their pd. your salvo could easily kept their pd busy for streamer to get his shots connected

My thoughts.

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-03-26 03:38   
Three benefits to firing missiles one by one consecutively :

1. If the enemy successfully dodges or your missiles do a terrible job tracking, only 1 missile misses at a time as opposed to all of them

2. Various missile firing angles increases the chance some of them find that arc with depleted PD.

3. Long range PD will be constantly overwhelmed

Drawbacks:

1. Anti missile PD has more time to reload

2. More conscious effort required

[ This Message was edited by: Chewy Squirrel on 2014-03-26 04:51 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2014-03-26 05:09   
agree with both delando and ravendark.

the PD must be getting wasted with 2-3 beams hitting the stream of single missiles.
at the same time, their PD would work marginally more perfectly when a salvo of missiles appeared within their 300 gu or so detection range. each ship would target their own closest few missiles, reducing wasted PD shots.

and yes, your salvo attacks would make many beams enter cooldown together, helping bizaro's stagger fire. then again, his helped yours too.

which is better? i'd say having one ship stagger-firing 10 missiles in 2-4 seconds at a time, followed with every one else salvo firing (and ofcourse, all at the same target). this works very well against groups of ships using anti-fighter beams. anti-missiles should be hit with full salvo firing.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2014-03-28 11:06   
I could be mistaken, but I think that PD can hit multiple missiles at once when they are close together. I don't have proof of this, but this really seemed to be the case on several occasions.

Perhaps they need to be adjusted so their launch points are more spread out.

In the meantime, it's probably best to chain fire your missiles according to how they are laid out.

Page created in 0.011658 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR