No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Torp dreads are kind of useless..
 Author Torp dreads are kind of useless..
Kinthalas
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2014-01-21 05:01   
So with the changes to torp area I've noticed a few things. A dedicated torp only dread has a good chance to do a lot of damge (but also die horribly) when going against a staion, when firing on another dread.. you've got a good chance to hit if they aren't flying max speed (or anything over 15 if they have enh/bettern engines).

That being said.. the mixed torp dreads (specifically for kluth) are almost useless. If I get into beam range (my torps are already doing damage to me!) Yes, the assault disruptors are long enough range.. but with fall off are total junk, and I can't even use a disruptor withouth am torps damaging me (nevermind the norps!).

I know you guys were trying to fix the area damage, but to me.. it seems even more broken than before. I'm supposed to use a big ships with torps to snap other big ships.. but to atually be able to score hits, you need to be kind of close. Once you're close enough to get a hit when you fire.. you also do damage to yourself! Seems like a useless weapon to me!

I still love the nem, but.. You can't use beams with either of the other weapons, without almost killing yourself just to take down 1 other dread!

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2014-01-21 05:27   
wait what? kluth beams now have falloff?

Kinthalas
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2014-01-21 07:02   
PS! Fix my stealth mod! I've got 7 of them doing nothing.. because that was one of my favorite enh, so... chop chop!

Know you lot are busy, and volunteer this time.. so many thanks

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2014-01-21 07:02   
Unless it was a stealth change in the past few days then Disruptors are still the same no falloff weapons they always have been.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2014-01-21 07:17   
With 1.7, K'Luth beams gained a tiny bit of falloff so that it could scale proportionally across factions, but it's very minor. A Disruptor inflicts 90% damage at max range, while a UGTO laser inflicts 75% and an ICC one inflicts 60%.

That said, a Disruptor's range is 210 and an Assault 'Ruptor's is 300, while the AoE radius at Dread level is 72 gu for AM Torps and 144 gu for Neutronium Torps.

So, yes, you DO in fact have some wiggle room in there.

[ This Message was edited by: Jim Starluck on 2014-01-21 08:43 ]

Email Jim Starluck
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-01-21 09:00   
Some additional things to note:

Just about every weapon in the game relies on positioning to get the most out of it. This is why Kluth's cloak is so invaluable, in that it allows you to gain the best position possible for your weapon loadout.

It's also important to note that weapons are designed to work independently - that is that while they can be used in conjunction its not always beneficial.

Beams are best against the same size ship, and thats what the Nem is suited for in those situations. Torps are designed for one ship size higher (and thus why Battle Stations are somewhat overkill), and in conjunction with mines the Nemesis can do a lot of heavy damage to a station.

It can also use these weapons against another Dread, but since they're not designed with it in mind, you'll be less effective or in the case of torps, there are drawbacks for getting too close. Manage your distance well and you can make the most of it.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2014-01-21 10:36   
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 05:01, Kinthalas wrote:
So with the changes to torp area I've noticed a few things. A dedicated torp only dread has a good chance to do a lot of damge (but also die horribly) when going against a staion, when firing on another dread.. you've got a good chance to hit if they aren't flying max speed (or anything over 15 if they have enh/bettern engines).

That being said.. the mixed torp dreads (specifically for kluth) are almost useless. If I get into beam range (my torps are already doing damage to me!) Yes, the assault disruptors are long enough range.. but with fall off are total junk, and I can't even use a disruptor withouth am torps damaging me (nevermind the norps!).

I know you guys were trying to fix the area damage, but to me.. it seems even more broken than before. I'm supposed to use a big ships with torps to snap other big ships.. but to atually be able to score hits, you need to be kind of close. Once you're close enough to get a hit when you fire.. you also do damage to yourself! Seems like a useless weapon to me!

I still love the nem, but.. You can't use beams with either of the other weapons, without almost killing yourself just to take down 1 other dread!

Have you considered using the mines and torps for mid to long range attack and the lasers as a close range defense? That would ease your problems with the damage being inflicted to yourself. Also, the fallout of the core torpedoes is supposed to discourage you from spamming them at point blank range, or at least that was my understanding.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2014-01-21 13:04   
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 10:36, Sheraton *XO* wrote:

Have you considered using the mines and torps for mid to long range attack and the lasers as a close range defense? That would ease your problems with the damage being inflicted to yourself. Also, the fallout of the core torpedoes is supposed to discourage you from spamming them at point blank range, or at least that was my understanding.

-Sheraton

Wait, doesn't everyone spam spacebar?
-DBS

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2014-01-21 21:51   
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 13:04, -DBS wrote:
Quote:

-Sheraton

-DBS

They do. They just don't admit it....

Rain of Fire [O-XII]
Grand Admiral

From: South of Klaus, 14,000 gu from Insanity and 3,000 from Desperation.
Posted: 2014-01-21 22:56   
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 21:51, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Sheraton

-DBS

They time their spacebar mashing so that it only fires the right weapons
On 2012-11-06 20:23, Tael wrote:
\"Depends who you asked... Praetorian, KC, a few others, and myself use to sit in the lobby and talk out the game...

Convinced more than one new person initially this was a text game. \"

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2014-01-28 10:27   
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 22:56, Rain of Fire [O-XII] wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 21:51, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Sheraton

-DBS

They time their spacebar mashing so that it only fires the right weapons

True Story
[ This Message was edited by: -DBS on 2014-01-28 10:28 ]

Page created in 0.016458 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR