No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » The ridiculousness of ship capture
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author The ridiculousness of ship capture
Musashi Miyamoto
Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-20 23:32   
I think it is quite ridiculous that a single infantry squad can overpower a ships crew on it's own especialy when said ship is a station.. therefore i would think it fair to some1 flying a large ship to have a minimum infantry count required to capture the ship...
scouts are smalland a single infantry alone can overpower the small crew contained onboard...
frigates are larger thus it would take longer for a single infantry squad to overpower the crew..
dessie would require a minimum of 2 infantry units to cap..
cruiser will take longer but the minimum would still be 2...
Dreadnoughts take 3 infantry to capture and take a longer time to cap than a cruiser..
stations will take 5 and take a very long time to capture 4 to 5 times longer than the current time it takes to capture a ship...
The larger the ship is the longer it takes to capture thus all ships have an equal chance to return home to get inf onboard the ship to prevent ship capture since the larger ships jd takes longer to recharge...

it's really ridiculous that a scout can cap a station by dropping a single squadf on it thus thev scout would haveto make several runs to do this... however it is also ludicrous to think that enemy squadswill last forever on an enemy ship too thus any boarding party on an enemy ship will eventually be subdue by the crew which in retrospect should be themselves armed and ready for a boarding party and thus able to defend their own ship...

Adding more infantry than is neccessary to capture a ship will decrease the time it takes to capture it..

i dont actually think this is something that will get implemented but it is a decent idea... the concept of making larger ships harder to capture is a good base for future improvements to ship defense against capture.. This update wont affect ai ships however.... at least i would hope

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-01-21 01:32   
I always imagined an infantry unit in the game represents a battalion or regiment. Otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense that an entire planet can only hold 32 soldiers.

However from a gameplay perspective the way you counter capturing is a little bit silly. You have to constantly carry your inventory capacity in infantry or someone will drop on you filling up your empty slots plus the capture only slots and at that point you are screwed unless you dock, gate, or an ally is close/nice enough to drop on you since you can't pick up any new infantry.

This is why I've always been a fan of splitting the inventory into 3 sections : friendly inventory, resources/enchancements, and enemy infantry. Each one thas their own capacity limits completely independent of the others. This way you can carry a full inventory load of infantry and still be able to receive enchancements or carry resources, and you can always replenish friendly infantry from a planet in the event of being boarded.
[ This Message was edited by: Chewy Squirrel on 2014-01-21 01:32 ]

Kinthalas
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2014-01-21 04:24   
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 01:32, Chewy Squirrel wrote:
I always imagined an infantry unit in the game represents a battalion or regiment. Otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense that an entire planet can only hold 32 soldiers.

However from a gameplay perspective the way you counter capturing is a little bit silly. You have to constantly carry your inventory capacity in infantry or someone will drop on you filling up your empty slots plus the capture only slots and at that point you are screwed unless you dock, gate, or an ally is close/nice enough to drop on you since you can't pick up any new infantry.

This is why I've always been a fan of splitting the inventory into 3 sections : friendly inventory, resources/enchancements, and enemy infantry. Each one thas their own capacity limits completely independent of the others. This way you can carry a full inventory load of infantry and still be able to receive enchancements or carry resources, and you can always replenish friendly infantry from a planet in the event of being boarded.
[ This Message was edited by: Chewy Squirrel on 2014-01-21 01:32 ]

BOOM! Chewy is a genius!

PS - the inf cap #'s wouldn't work, no matter how many inf you unload on someone, only 4 'hostile' inf can land. Hate to give that one away, because I love watching people unload 10 inf and waste 6 of them.. but yea.

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2014-01-22 00:45   
+1 ftw on cheweys idea

*****peace*****
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2014-01-22 05:16   
soooo what u are saying is that it should be easier to station camp? you want to take away that option of an outnumbered enemy to take another road to victory?

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-23 13:10   
If you have any infantry on board a ship, enemy infantry can't capture the ship until all friendly infantry are killed. Considering a station can hold TEN infantry I don't think a scout dropping one infantry on your station is going to cut it. Also, stations have a 1% chance of being captured per infantry (+/- a few if higher rank inf or pirate raiding crew) ANYWAY. You are pretty damn hard to capture even with successive drops on your ship.

I don't think the system is in need of changing in terms of percents, although your idea of requiring more then one infantry has some merit.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2014-01-24 22:30   
so he lost a station to a scout ship... epic fail!

Email Borgie
Commando950
Fleet Admiral
The Intergalactic Border Patrol

Posted: 2014-01-25 07:50   
Quote:
On 2014-01-21 01:32, Chewy Squirrel wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: Commando950 on 2014-01-25 07:52 ]

1st - I always looked at them as a large group in a unit as you did. Makes perfect sense and always will.

2nd - I agree with the part where you said Infantry system requires you to carry lots of infantry... its riduclous.... I frigin get infantry spammed all the time and countering is riduclously annoying....

3rd - Your idea of cargo management is pure genius.... hear that devs?

4th - I can't argue with anything you said there

5th - Did anyone mention your genius? They probably did.

+1 on dat mans idea.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-01-25 19:31   
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 13:10, Fattierob wrote:
If you have any infantry on board a ship, enemy infantry can't capture the ship until all friendly infantry are killed. Considering a station can hold TEN infantry I don't think a scout dropping one infantry on your station is going to cut it. Also, stations have a 1% chance of being captured per infantry (+/- a few if higher rank inf or pirate raiding crew) ANYWAY. You are pretty damn hard to capture even with successive drops on your ship.

I don't think the system is in need of changing in terms of percents, although your idea of requiring more then one infantry has some merit.

It would be nice too if there was an actual progress on ship capture. Infantry secures subsequent parts of the ship locking down weapons/point defense/engines/jump drive etc. Temporary if the infantry fails, full capture if they get to the bridge.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2014-01-27 18:49   
they alrdy do that, most inf when failing takes out jumpdrive and random other system to 0%

Musashi Miyamoto
Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-30 07:58   
Quote:
On 2014-01-24 22:30, Borgie wrote:
so he lost a station to a scout ship... epic fail!

im not ranked enough to use stations buddy

Musashi Miyamoto
Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-30 08:06   
Id also like to add that depending on the ship size itself the percentage of inf managing to cap a ship depends on how much the actual ship can carry a in a scout the regiment should have less troops in the battalion thus would be weaker at ship capture... Also to note would be adding a new inf that can be loaded into the ship to provide better security against boarding parties and lanet defending but cannot be unloaded on enemy planets/ships due to them being a security team... thus they would be more effective at defense than anything else...

Musashi Miyamoto
Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-31 12:36   
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 19:31, Ent wrote:
Quote:

It would be nice too if there was an actual progress on ship capture. Infantry secures subsequent parts of the ship locking down weapons/point defense/engines/jump drive etc. Temporary if the infantry fails, full capture if they get to the bridge.

maybe add a new ship component a bridge of which its damage will go up as the inf manage to attempt ship capturee ship is captured when bridge damage reaches 0 and is the only thing that cant be repaired

Senti-Onikawa
Admiral

Posted: 2014-02-03 22:36   
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 19:31, Ent wrote:
Quote:

This. I want to know when to hit ctrl+d so other people don't have to worry about my compromised arse becoming another problem. Personally, I know what it's like to have someone flying a dread beside you and he's too lazy to put infantry in his cargo space and then whines when he gets capped. I'm the one who has the right to whine, buddy. You just put me in a bad spot what with dealing with 3 luth and now I have your capped ship on my list of priority targets.

I'm not opposed to carrying infantry in my cargo and less-so enthusiastic about supporting a system that adds more crap to my HUD. You see how cluttered that thing is already? No thanks. But something that shows the progression of my own arse getting captured? Where do I donate?

\"That's a good question... I wish I had an answer.\"

pigghoti
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2014-02-04 04:22   
For the bridge component, could we say have different types of bridge? We could have a combat bridge which would allow weapons to be more accurate and/or have a faster reload, a support bridge which allows electronic warfare to be more powerful, and maybe a transport bridge that allows you to carry an extra troop/s and takes longer to cap. i don't know, it's up to you guys if you like the idea or not

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024143 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR