No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +15.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Better account recovery methods
 Author Better account recovery methods
Grand Cross
Midshipman

Posted: 2014-01-20 04:44   
I have a few ideas that would definately aid in account recovery if certain information such as ur email address is somehow outdated. Because i lost my account musashi miyamoto because some1 obviously hacked it and either deleted/removed the email address these specific questions require you to enter personal thing thats only you would know about. These "questions will allow you to have the account pw reset and sent to the new address given. This way if the email address should either be somehow outdated for no apparent reason then you can enter an account recovery question to do so as an alternative... Such questions include but are not limited to
1. Your first pet name...
2. Your mother's maiden name...
3. where you were born.
4. What your favorite movie was.
5. Who's your favorite director..
6. Favorite actor...
7. The last place you lived (not the current one since this is required information for subscriptions)...
8. Where your parent (mother or father) was born...

This questions would further aid in old players like myself to come back to ds after being away for so long if said email address information becomes corrupt somehow or is outdated as stated above and would not affect ds gameplay in any way. I see no reason why something like this should not be implemented as this would be something the player themself would set up for further methods of account recovery.. Since these things are completely optional it would only affect the individuals who of course decide to use this feature.... Thus it will not harm ds in anyway if it is implemented though i assume a few new pages or simple popups would have to be created it would not interfere with anything and provides better peace of mind to those older players, such as myself that even if they dont update their email address and haphhazardly change it without thinking to update their email info here that they can still come back to this game by using personal info such as the things stated above, information which will nvr change or become outdated and is a secondary not primary way to recover the account...

I see no reason why somthing like this cant or wouldnt be implemented as many games nowadays use this feature for account recovery anyways.. It's time for ds to step it up with better methods and this is the future of account recovery.. Obviously you will have to provide the account name itself that you wish to recover before actually entering this sensitive info to prevent ppl from acquiring some1 else's account should such information be the same... Any moron who gives out such personal information obviously wouldn't want this kind of method for account recovery to b activated and if such info like email their email addres should be leaked this information would require you to already know it in order to change it, if for some reason you decide to change the question or for an even weirder option the answer.... These recovery questions would not only be useful for players like me but would add to to the security of ones account further bolstering ds' security... Additionally their would be an option to create your own unique recovery question if one feels that such personal info like what was previously stated is, insecure thus adding to those questions a variety of other questions which is limited to ones actions or be completely impossible for some1 to figure out, such as single word questions like for example the question would be crap and the aanswer could be i dunno dog for some weird reason, but such questions would be at the users own risk and wouldn't violate TOS, EULA, ROC, or any other part of ds as such a silly question would be user error and NOT something an admin would even need to bat an eye at.. Any word can be used for an account recovery question or answer thus such things as the words that are offensive or racist can be used...
[ This Message was edited by: Grand Cross on 2014-01-20 05:05 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2014-01-20 10:23   

Security questions and stuff like that can be considered in future. Ditto other methods of verification.

But this begs the question: Have you, or have you not submitted your support ticket for your supposedly "hacked" account?

It sure would help in getting the admins to look into your issues faster than posting a few angry threads.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2014-01-20 10:23   
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 04:44, Grand Cross wrote:

3. where you were born.
6. Favorite actor...
7. The last place you lived (not the current one since this is required information for subscriptions)...

this is actually a resonable suggestion and ive submitted a feature request for it.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2014-01-20 10:25   
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 10:23, Doran wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 04:44, Grand Cross wrote:

3. where you were born.
6. Favorite actor...

this is actually a resonable suggestion and ive submitted a feature request for it.

Yeah, it's actually pretty standard fare these days.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2014-01-20 10:39   
It still won't do much in regards to accessing an account with an invalid email address though...

Which is where the issue stems from.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2014-01-20 10:40 ]

Musashi Miyamoto
Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-20 22:21   
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 10:39, Pantheon wrote:
It still won't do much in regards to accessing an account with an invalid email address though...

Which is where the issue stems from.
[ This Message was edited by: Musashi Miyamoto on 2014-01-20 22:54 ]

no and thats just it entering the security question would take u to a new screen where u enter thenew email address and the reset pw will be sent their instead of the email given to darkspace thus it would act in an admin's stead.. The player would stillhave to change their email address when they log in however to their current one.. Giving the players a little bit of administraive powers over their own account wont hurt or threaten ds security and would free admins to do more important tickets rather than constantly deal with players on this front After all the account is theirs and ds's so the players with proper credentials should b allowed to use a small portion of ds's adminster powers to recover their own account without contacting or wasting an administers time.. And the the dumbest part of all of this is this how come no1 even thought about giving players partial administrative powers over their own account? now we wont be giving players the ability to undo anything a mod or admin does such as bans and mutes but we can at least give them the ability to recover their pw in the same manner as contacting an admin... just without the admin and obvious proof that the account is theirs... I cant believe i didn't think of this sooner or any1 else... i guess when ur the guy that constantly losing his main account you'd think of alternative ways to recover ur own account and not rely on some1 else to hold ur hand the entire time. and again pantheon thank you...

Kinthalas
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2014-01-21 04:30   
Speaking as someone who the admins helped get an account back.. I think they do an amazing job at this, and are very helpful.

If you don't verifty your email (serves you right!) and if you don't subscribe (serves you right!) there is a chance you might lose your account. Yes they could make a more user friendly system to reset an account, but the one in place now is also verry efficient and very effective (it took less that 24 hours for me).

I'd have to think that anyone crying about the current system is either trying to fake it (and get an account that isn't theirs) or was just careless and didn't take the steps (that take less than 2 minutes) to make sure they could restor their account as is spelled out very clearly for all to see.

Page created in 0.029829 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR