Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » New armor type - Energizable armor
 Author New armor type - Energizable armor
Ignorance
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-18 01:03   
I spoke with Ent about this sometime this past week and came up with these possible pros and cons with this energizable armor. If you couldn't figure it out from the name, this armor would be activatable and deactivatable, just like the shields, but for armor. Obviously, being armor, and being that the ICC aren't armor freaks like the uggies, there would have to be some serious drawbacks, but pros that would outway the drawbacks if used when necessary. I have added some things that we did not discuss, but could be interesting additions.

Pros:
- Can be activated and de-activated, similarly to shields, but perhaps with a brief delay
- De-activated armor will give a minor energy regeneration boost
- De-activated armor will slightly lower the signature of the ship just as it would for shields(except ghost shields)
- Provides a boost to overall agility(except for stations) (i.e. Turn rate, acceleration, max speed, etc.)
- (read below) Since energy damage is not completely absorbed, there will be a significant increase in resistance to energy weapon damage.

(category for something that could be a pro or con):
- Does not completely absorb energy damage, but mitigates it drastically. This means that a very very small amount of hull(say 98-99% of it) will be damaged, the rest will go towards armor HP. This will make it so that it is impossible to lose your hull before you lose your armor. This effect will render the ship practically immune to beam scout-class ships.

Cons:
- Due to experimental nature of this mechanism, the HP is significantly lower than that of standard armor(Since UGTO rely on armor entirely, the effect should be MUCH more drastic for ICC. Not sure about K'Luth, as their armor hp is remarkably low to begin with)
- Expensive to produce
- Cannot be fit to stations
- When fit to dreadnoughts, large surface area coverage of armor will drain some energy when active

Overall advantages:
-Ships equipped with this armor should be nearly, if not completely immune to swarms of scouts and energy weapon fighters due to the high energy resistance.
-For Cruisers and below, the regeneration boost will allow ships to rapidly regain energy and return to the fight.
-(Assuming planets deal energy damage) Good for fitting to bomber ships, as the planet's damage output will not hinder you and you can stay in range for extended periods of time.

Here's the tricky part: This armor would probably be one of the few modules to be able to make use of the NUM5 key that used to be for rapidly healing shields at the cost of energy. Since the energized armor would be for all factions, it would no longer provide the ICC with a terribly unfair advantage, since armor is not their focus anyway.

The NUM5 key on the number pad would expend energy for rapid hp regeration of armor. I would recommend against making this effect instant. As it is, the instant transfer of shield strength for ICC is too effective an "oh snap" failsafe. I recommend that the hp be restored at say 500% or more its normal rate, and that the energy be expended proportionally to the rate that the HP is being regenerated.

These ideas are very rough. I created this thread so that we could perhaps refine it to a point where the devs could impliment this idea, or, if we don't like the finished product, we will throw this idea in the dumpster and forget about sending it to the devs. Please do not immediately shrug off this idea, however. At least give some constructive advice on how it could be practically implimented to the game. If you want to say it sucks ass, then fine, go ahead, but at least give something that would not constitute as such.

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2014-01-18 01:42   
i can already hear pantheon saying 'NO' to this b/c it could be used by all factions....

not too sure weather it'd be techinacally possible , that'd be something best answered by the devs....

now as fo ME, i think it'd be a good idea for icc/ugto luthies on the other hand use an organic based tech so i dont think it'd be approprate for them.

just my 2 creds worth

*****PEACE*****
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-01-18 05:08   
Because what DarkSpace needs so desperately is an armour type specifically designed to screw over carriers, that denies outright a newbie in a Scout's ability to deal damage and that trivialises planets even further than they already are.

Grand Cross
Midshipman

Posted: 2014-01-18 09:21   
no just not that way... Energizable armor should always protect but can b activated for to repair a minor portion of itself instantly say somewhere around 5-8% max with a recharge of say 1 or 2 minutes. It will not have all of those aforementioned pros you gave it.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2014-01-18 19:25   

Heh.... Star Trek armor?
Sounds like a bad carry over from Voyager.

No....

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2014-01-18 22:27   
computer, deploy armor........ unable to comply ablative generator

I SAID, 'computer, deploy armor'........ and I said 'unable to comply' ablative generator DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS UNIVERSE............. FOOL !!!

just my further 2 cr worth

*****peace*****
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2014-01-19 09:22   
Due to Einstein law: E = MxCxC, UGTO armor basically contains most energy. ICC shield is already unreal.

Ignorance
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-19 12:11   
Hah. Voyager's Ablative armor could withstand something like ten Nodes...

No way. Essentially this armor would sacrifice HP for the regeneration of energy when inactive.

[ This Message was edited by: Zylgrox on 2014-01-19 12:16 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2014-01-19 21:49   
Quote:
On 2014-01-19 12:11, Zylgrox wrote:
Hah. Voyager's Ablative armor could withstand something like ten Nodes...

No way. Essentially this armor would sacrifice HP for the regeneration of energy when inactive.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2014-01-19 21:52 ]

Any armor that can be 'turned' on and off is essentially a shield. Shields are ICC only equipment.
We do not have matter replicators in this universe. They exist only in the Trek-verse.
Ditto polaron, verteron, thalaron, whatchamacallitaron thingamabob weapons, emitters, pulse generators or deflectors...

Therefore turning on (and off) something that is essentially solid matter is a no go in DS.

So... Don't think this will fit in.

Page created in 0.016730 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR