No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - James Bum007

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Classic DS server (yes, I under stand it costs money!)
 Author Classic DS server (yes, I under stand it costs money!)
Kinthalas
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-12-21 08:57   
Ok, so I'm a player from almost 11 years ago now..

That being said, this game is so different from what I became so addicted to.. it's silly! I got hooked because of the scenario server with 50+players.. all going crazy!

Yes that was a different time.. yes we could use other faction weapons, engines/reactors, bombs, and build/repair drones etc..!

All of that in perspective, I enjoy the game very much now.. I've paid for it still (even though it's free to play now, and used to be only pay to play)!

I would probably still be paying to play (even though I have some serious balance and AI issues!), but I have a young son with medical trouble.. and I'm lucky to be able to even buy food for a good Christmas (I think those NY ppl are right, F! the 'christ' part of mas.. since I've been alive, nothing to do with Christ). Yes, it's a holiday about family.. yes, it's a holiday about faith.. but over all of that, it's a holiday about retail cash!

I really hope that I can afford to sub again by February.. any if so, feel the pain once I can have 11 kluth ships again with my 1 free slot to rotate ;p !

Ok, all of that was off topic! Sorry for the extra long rant, but I just got CM and I'm going crazy (btw.. as was pointed out to me, by possibly the best player I've met since coming back.. before the 1.7 update I was admiral rank.. and now I'm chief marshal! I'm still addicted, there are a bunch of us, and a lot more we can help bring back!).

Back to the main point! I still play the scenario server from time to time.. and it's.. nothing like what it should be! Please, this is a waste of your time to still run that server. In it's place I would like to suggest a "classic" dark space server! This server would run older versions of dark space, be it from my original play time.. or long after (yet before now).

It doesn't have to be pretty! It doesn't have to be perfectly balanced (like you are trying for now!).

Ok, after all of that. yes, I get that server time is spendy, and yes paying for all of the "ai" is VERY spendy because it uses a lot of server time, even wihtough players on (but really it just ruins the game for high rank players, from what I've experienced.. and I only just got CM).

Please though, make a new server.. or better yet, replace the current (and totally pathetic scenario) server! Use that to create a new "classic" DS server.. let it play for at least a day, hopefully at least a week but no more than a month!

Play old versions of dark space.. yes they might have been unbalanced, yes they might have been 'crazy'.. yes they might have been, anything else! But! Guess what!? They got a TON of people hooked on playing this game..

Let everyone who didn't play 10+ years ago experience the wonderful game we played.. let players like me, who started a family (lots of other lost time in there.. but it sounds nice ) play the game we've only heard about!

I'm just... some guy, but I think a scenario server that has almost no one playing on it is useless to you (and, if my idea is to costly.. so be it, but still kill the scenario server because it ruines the name of what it used to be!), instead make a server that gets people to play on it.

I don't have the $ right now,and that sounds totally lame.. $5 a month? Who doesn't have that seriously? Well I'm one of them, I love this game.. and I love it even more for surviving when I couldn't play it or pay for it. I have real life issues with my son (he's 11 months old) that are taking all the money I have, and will have for months to come! However, I can do my best to fit that $5 a month in (even if my wife grumps at me.. and to heck with her and her stupid farmville2!).

Just.. my crazy rant for the day!

PS - Az.. lets test an uggy t3 supply with my build.. see if it can tank 2 ships + planet? ;p

[ This Message was edited by: Kinthalas on 2013-12-21 23:20 ]

Kinthalas
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-12-21 09:10   
Right.. I'm crazy, but seriously..

Use the current MV print, but only 1 server with all 3 systems (hopefuly somewhere that could bring intense combat, the maurbon cluster comes to mind..) per 'classic' match.

Take out the ai all together (and those plats, I'd vote.. unless they were already a part of that version of DS). It might be to server heavy to have our def bases shoot a round of missiles (that killed you, unless you had an icc pulse wave that killed 100% of them) plus the most evil fighers ever, nevermind having thier own point def beams! Yes you had to start bombing from 3kgu away, and get reps (unless you had a ganglia, and replaced that useless build drone with a 2nd rep drone..) to bomb the planet down. I've talked to a bunch of people, that played that way.. and enjoyed it a lot!

Even if this is a pay to play only server.. I'd be in on it (when I can afford it, and for me.. that is saying a lot)!

[ This Message was edited by: Kinthalas on 2013-12-21 09:15 ]

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2013-12-21 13:37   
biggest problem is more game modes will split the game community. I can see this work however as an event:)

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-12-21 15:34   
Some of us other nostalgic players have been told by the devs that it would be impossible/take a lot of work to revert to old code. So while I and a lot of other players would love to see a pre-shipyard scenario server, I don't see it happening

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-12-21 16:03   
This would be impossible to maintain, as you're essentially asking us to maintain two seperate code revisions, when we're already stretched thin. Our revision control system doesn't even go back that far, so we'd have to re-write 1.480 from scratch. An incredible waste of time, which could be better spent elsewhere on the game.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2013-12-21 16:04 ]

Kinthalas
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-12-21 22:56   
Ahh, thanks for the responses!

Didn't know if you guys kept old versions or not, and I didn't think about splitting the players up between the servers..

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-12-22 02:26   
We do keep old versions, but as Jack said the system we use to track changes to the codebase only goes back as far as 2005, which was well into the 1.483 era. And again, as Jack said, we'd then have to be maintaining two completely different variants of the game, when we have our hands full with the one already.

And really, I loved the 1.480 Golden Age of DS as much as the next guy, but it had some horrible balance issues that desperately needed fixing, and it's easy to get blinded by nostalgia-colored glasses. You DO remember the K'Luth running around in CL2k Claws, right?

Even if we could pull this off, I guarantee you people would complain about the balance from the "classic" version a lot more than the current one.

[ This Message was edited by: Jim Starluck on 2013-12-22 02:27 ]

Email Jim Starluck
Page created in 0.017977 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR