No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +13.9 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » Why do i get this on windows 8
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Why do i get this on windows 8
Rizack
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-14 02:58   
hey i just installed DS but it wont work im runing it in compatibility mode for xp sp3 and also as administrator.

hear is a screen shot of the message i get:

[img=http://s19.postimg.org/qe5vlly27/Darkspaceerror.jpg]

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2013-11-14 03:19   
That is a problem that doesn't happen often to any windows user, it has to do with the copied dlls.

Uninstall, then reinstall ds, thats the best answer I can give you.

Email -Shadowalker-™
Rizack
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-14 03:51   
well i just re-installed 3 times and i get the same message i guess i wont be playing darkspace......

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-14 04:14   
It has to do with the includes. I had this issue on Windows 8.1. Does the install complete with no issue?

You could try to install them manually. IIRC Darkspace depends on:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

If this doesn't work. Let me know

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Rizack
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-14 04:34   
i will give your method a try, it did install fine all 3 times no errors or stops during the install.

i will let you know what happens.

Rizack
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-14 04:46   
it still says the same thing and i installed the package you gave me, i really dont know what to do.

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2013-11-14 04:56   
Try running in administrator mode, and compatability mode

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-11-14 08:22   
Rizack, This is most unfortunate. We miss you at FTL and want you back...

I do not outright know the solution and perhaps someone with more knowledge and experience of windows 8 may be able to help more.

Try visiting Microsoft support at this page, i't not win 8 but 7 but the problem appears similar...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/this-application-failed-to-start-because-side-by/7673bf12-87c2-48ca-b5ae-b8aa85e295dc

In the meantime google the exact wording of your error message and go from there.

The scanning is important as you need to determine which file is causing the conflict.

Then there are offered three possible solutions to update your files and resolve the conflict.

"The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed/modified, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.

Tip
If you get the Windows Resource Protection Could Not Start the Repair Service error when trying to run SFC, then make sure that the Windows Modules Installer service is enabled and set to Manual.

Warning
Be aware that if you have modified your system files as in theming explorer/system files, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state. Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.

According to a Microsoft Support engineer dealing with win 7...

"Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Answers Forum!

(a). Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

· More Infoermation about SFC scan can be found in this document:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

(b). Perform a check disk:

Use the steps below:

Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.
Right-click the drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check now. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the drive itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Click Start.

Depending on the size of your drive, this might take several minutes. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it is checking for errors.

Update the .NET framework

Download and install the latest .NET Framework

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en

If still the error persists please provide us the error log:

Type eventvwr.msc /s in the address bar.

List any events that are listed as "Error" in the main window when you go to "Windows Logs" and "Application." There are often a lot of them. Send us whichever ones you see listed for the last couple days. (Please also do for the logs in "System"). When you do, provide us the name of the "Source" and whatever is listed in the description box below the list of logs when you click on one.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards:

Shekhar S - Microsoft Support."

Microsoft support like to play safe and cover all 'possible bases' so the above may not go all the way to fixing your exact problem.

Later in the same article someone states:

"There are two possibility to resolve this issue. The first one would be to reinstall the C++ directly on the system. Please go the following Microsoft website and install the following patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2

If the application still does not work, then please remove all C++ installation and Nero from your system over the Control Panel.Now restart your computer an run again the Nero installation. The Nero installer will reinstall the attached C++ version, therefore the issue shouldn´t occur again."

The above original problem was for someone who received the same error message as you but on a different OS and different program. However the root cause may be the same as Darkspace is a C++ coded program. I am writing this because I am trying to help you avoid the same old piece of advice that some may give you which will be to backup all your data and then reinstall your Operating System (long way round) which ultimately may be what you will need to do if you keep encountering this error message and stuff you wanna run just doesn't.

You may also want to try this which is another possible step in the right direction - follow this link:
http://www.sevenforums.com/software/268610-win8-side-side-configuration-incorrect-cant-run-exe-files.html

Consider this a start to resolving and not a full solution. I really hope one of the Darkspace Mods or Devs can help you more.

Remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Keep calm and carry on...

[ This Message was edited by: Orkan [OO-XI] on 2013-11-14 08:34 ]

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-11-14 18:36   
Also, be sure DS is installed in the C: directory.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-11-14 19:54   
talk about trouble with windows 8... try running it on a mac pain in the ass

Email Borgie
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-11-15 09:18   
Side-by-side is a Windows system that uses a version of a DLL different to that elsewhere in the system. The error means that it couldn't find the one we requested, which means it's not installed : this is a problem!

If you go to the GCQL root directory, you will find a vc_redist.exe file. Please run that (right click > run as administrator) and try again.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-15 11:46   
Or install .NET framework for multiple purposes besides darkspace.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-15 18:27   
"Why do i get this on windows 8"

because its evolution. if you havent noticed already, its the same for any electronics: crappier usefullness and effectiveness, more sales and frustrations.

so if you dont want to buy addons or apps, or dont want to integrate your pc/laptop into a home network of ipad's, change back immediatly to win 7

chuckdm
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-17 00:11   
Quote:
On 2013-11-15 18:27, Beast of Babylon wrote:
"Why do i get this on windows 8"

because its evolution. if you havent noticed already, its the same for any electronics: crappier usefullness and effectiveness, more sales and frustrations.

so if you dont want to buy addons or apps, or dont want to integrate your pc/laptop into a home network of ipad's, change back immediatly to win 7

This is a Windows 8 problem that plagues probably 80% or more of the games produced for every version of windows prior to the win8 launch. At this point, gaming on Windows 8 works about as well as gaming on a Mac or Linux via WINE (and, depending on how well WINE supports your hardware, maybe even worse!)

You can try all the tips above, but at the end of the day, the best solution to ANY problem in Windows 8 is just like it was back in Windows Vista - downgrade. It's what I did. I got my current laptop about 2 months after the win8 launch and I literally booted directly to my Win7 install DVD. I had to do tech support for some neighboors with a new Win8 system a week earlier and decided right then I'd never run it myself. And I never intend to.

Not saying win8 is a bad OS. It's just horrible for games.

Virus
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2013-11-17 10:02   
Have you tried to run this game without any compatibility switched on?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.040360 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR