Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Ship Detection
 Author Ship Detection
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-30 09:26   
Quote:

- Major changes to ship detection.

Quote:

-- Visual detection requires a much closer approach, and all ships are now equally capable of visual detection instead of getting better on larger hulls. Ships will be visible at approximately 20 gu for every 1 gu of hitbox radius.

Does this mean cloaked ships will be detectable at extremely close ranges or only ships with <= 0 signature? Also some example numbers would be good for some hull types.

Quote:

-- Sensor detection is weaker, making it easier to conceal a ship with low but not negative signature at great distance. Most ships can detect an object at 250 gu per 1 signature; Scouts can detect out to 500 gu per 1 signature. Scanners also do not provide nearly as much of a boost to sensor strength; they only increase detection distance by 500 gu per 1 signature at all levels.

Woah, I can't find anything about signature reworking but these numbers seem huge. 3 signature means a scout can detect me out at 1500 gu? Without even using a scanner? Jeeze.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-30 09:58   
[quote]On 2013-08-30 09:26, Fattierob wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

-- Visual detection requires a much closer approach, and all ships are now equally capable of visual detection instead of getting better on larger hulls. Ships will be visible at approximately 20 gu for every 1 gu of hitbox radius.

Does this mean cloaked ships will be detectable at extremely close ranges or only ships with <= 0 signature? Also some example numbers would be good for some hull types.

Cloaked ships have a Visibility value of 0.0, which makes them completely undetectable by visual detection. All other ships have Visibility 1.0, making them detectable. A Visibility value of 0.5 would, for example, make you visible at 10 gu for every 1 gu of hitbox radius, instead of 20.

Example hitbox radii:

Scouts: 1 gu
Frigates: 3 gu
Destroyers: 4.5 gu
Cruisers: 6 gu
Dreadnoughts: 18 gu
Stations: 30 gu

Quote:

Quote:

-- Sensor detection is weaker, making it easier to conceal a ship with low but not negative signature at great distance. Most ships can detect an object at 250 gu per 1 signature; Scouts can detect out to 500 gu per 1 signature. Scanners also do not provide nearly as much of a boost to sensor strength; they only increase detection distance by 500 gu per 1 signature at all levels.

Woah, I can't find anything about signature reworking but these numbers seem huge. 3 signature means a scout can detect me out at 1500 gu? Without even using a scanner? Jeeze.

And that's a nerf from where it is in Release. In there it only took a relatively small sig to make you visible all the way out to 5k, especially with a Scanner. This gives you a lot more wiggle room.

Email Jim Starluck
Schroedingers Gun
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-30 10:53   
why does this feel like a big smeg you to the people that like scouts and small ship?

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-30 11:51   
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 10:53, Schroedingers Gun wrote:
why does this feel like a big smeg you to the people that like scouts and small ship?

It shouldn't. Scouts and Frigates have the lowest natural signature and the highest base detection range, so they have a major edge over just about everything else. With these changes it becomes even easier for a small ship to remain undetected.

If I recall correctly, the old detection distance per sig values were something like so:

Scout: 750
Frigate: 550
Everything else: 500

Now they're:

Scout: 500
Frigate: 375
Most everything else: 250
Stations: 375

So Scout detection distances have only dropped a third, while most other ships have dropped a half. Scouts and Frigates are still naturally talented for EWar work, even before them getting the AoE Ewar gadgets.

Email Jim Starluck
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-30 12:10   
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 09:58, Jim Starluck wrote:

Cloaked ships have a Visibility value of 0.0, which makes them completely undetectable by visual detection. All other ships have Visibility 1.0, making them detectable. A Visibility value of 0.5 would, for example, make you visible at 10 gu for every 1 gu of hitbox radius, instead of 20.

I'll give you 20 credits if you make pirates have less Visibility

Quote:

And that's a nerf from where it is in Release. In there it only took a relatively small sig to make you visible all the way out to 5k, especially with a Scanner. This gives you a lot more wiggle room.

Damn, I forgot the detection range worked that far out since nobody fights at those long ranges. Okay, cool beans Jim.

Schroedingers Gun
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-30 13:02   
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 11:51, Jim Starluck wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-30 10:53, Schroedingers Gun wrote:

It shouldn't. Scouts and Frigates have the lowest natural signature and the highest base detection range, so they have a major edge over just about everything else. With these changes it becomes even easier for a small ship to remain undetected.

If I recall correctly, the old detection distance per sig values were something like so:

Scout: 750
Frigate: 550
Everything else: 500

Now they're:

Scout: 500
Frigate: 375
Most everything else: 250
Stations: 375

So Scout detection distances have only dropped a third, while most other ships have dropped a half. Scouts and Frigates are still naturally talented for EWar work, even before them getting the AoE Ewar gadgets.

ah my bad, i wasn't understanding it properly

Page created in 0.009914 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR