Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Allow all ships to be launched from gates
 Author Allow all ships to be launched from gates
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-07 02:21   
**BETA ONLY**
If you could please remove resource costs and the shipyard requirement, it would help very much in testing the ships.

Also, if we had a default system with all 3 faction gates in it, as well as 3 metal planets for refitting purposes, this would GREATLY decrease the time it takes to get to testing balance, and not making 5 jumps to find the others.

I hope this isn't too much trouble to do, but it would allow us non-devs to do some more effective and streamlined combat testing.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-07-07 02:23 ]

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2013-07-07 02:32   
This idea has been proposed a few times and even discussed amongst the staff. It was turned down because if we were to do something like you are suggesting then all people would fly are dreads and stations.

Keeping it as is then we will see more of a mix of ships being tested.

Email Challenger
Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-07 02:38   
Half of the issue is the current MV map in beta -

No factions seem to have a properly working SY at this time, and even then it's a huge string of jumps that a dred struggles to achieve(and takes forever) to get to a central place.

I know it's nice to *test* the new MV map, but to be brutally honest, the best facilities for testing is a map with 1 system, 3 SY planets with hacked tech + resources and 3 guinea pig planets for testing purposes.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-07-07 03:30   
The idea to allow ship was discussed before. And it was shot down.

At there, I suggest spawn gate (like what in scenrio) which you can call out free ship (0 resource) like engineer, scout, frigate, transport. You can't launch expensive ship (des, cru, dre, sta) out of the gate. But some people misunderstood me, they recalled the bug in 1.5 when everybody could launch every ship for free. These are totally different ideas: launch free ship from gate (scenario gate) VS freely launch every ship from gate (SY gate).

We don't need SY gate at all and there is no SY gate in game. Even the home system gate is a scenario gate.

But we need scenario gate in every section. Why? In scenario, you start from nothing and can only work with basic ship at the beginning. With scenario gate, you can think of each section in hydra as scenario and prepare engineer, transport and resource in garrage. And there you can always invade Procyon, Rogen Rift, ICC homesystem, UGTO homesystem, K'Luth homesystem...

The benefit is clear: activities take place in all sections in Hydra. Something like that will not happen in current map because you need a fleet with at least 4 players (transport, bomber, engi, supply) to capture a planet when you have nothing in a new section. I'm sorry but DS has very few players ATM and Sagi already has quite enough to work with.

But this idea was shot down. IMHO, I think of it as technical issue. Maybe each faction can only be have one faction gate in a map. With scenario server is here, this is fine cause periodcally, people will capture more and more planets, and finally cross roads at the center of the map - always Sagi.

There is a rumor that scenario will be deleted. In case it will be, then we need a solution to please scenario lovers. However, this suggestion will never be on table again as it was shot down. There shall be a better solution coming from staff.

So what we should always and only do is to play the game and let the staff do the brainstorming job. We can say we like or dislike and list some points though.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-07 09:53   
Quote:
On 2013-07-07 02:32, Challenger wrote:
Keeping it as is then we will see more of a mix of ships being tested.

Not true, we were still testing frigates, destroyers, cruisers even though we had dreads.

Dreads and stations are being added to the game, so it would be helpful if we could test those.

Part of the testing of course is to see how the balance is between large and small ships, and we can direct any glaring concerns to Jim (Like missile frigates doing 2% damage to their intended targets)

Dread v Dread testing is fine, it's not gonna keep us from testing other ships if we can pull them all at will.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-07-07 12:02   
It is a lot of trouble to do. Just build a shipyard .

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-07-07 13:22   
The actual problem is that the beta map is being reset to implement changes and fixes and so has not reached a state where it can be persistent.

at least that is my view on the issue. just build up a SY and for anyone else just do what I do. Keep lots of res in your hangar so you can easiily build up all the planets. Res does not appear to reset and neither do your enhancements in your garage. So just get an 8X build enhanced engineer and keep 100k res in the garage and you should be good.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Valiant Wolf
Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-07 18:27   
Quote:
On 2013-07-07 02:38, iwancoppa wrote:
...No factions seem to have a properly working SY at this time...

I spent quite a while setting one up for UGTO Friday night, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's been reset. You shouldn't have any trouble launching any uggie ships if it hasn't though. I might do the same for the other factions should I find the time.

Email Valiant Wolf
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-07 21:28   
Yeah the resets are the main issue.
Honestly if it's too difficult to make ships free and gate-spawnable, then at least a 3 planet, 3 gate test system would be great.

There is still that other issue of making 5 jumps to reach the other players, and a small test map would alleviate that, and reduce the server load.

Maybe it would be easier if you made Mines collect an obscene amount of resources? At least then we aren't having to derp around in extractors for 10 minutes to get our ships built.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-07-07 21:29 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-07-07 21:31   
No changes will be made to facilitate easier spawning.

Page created in 0.018457 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR