Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Bug Report
 Author Bug Report
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-14 12:55   
Today I run Norton Power Eraser (again). It had several times rerported GCQL (in DS folder) has been a threat, I had ignored as well. But today it told me that bugreport.exe was also a threat. This time I'm getting cautious.

Recently I notice GCQL create notepad file on the desktop for unknown reason. I opened it and it's totally blank. Meanwhile, bug report can't report bug. Is it coincidental?

I have used several AV and run clean-up tool. NPE was the only tool that suspect files from DS. It's up to 2 files at the moment. Whether this is a mistake of the tool or not, I still need to hear words from this circumstance, although I always trust Palestar. Has Palestar ever spoken to Symantec about such case?

More important, what should I do with NPE now? Do not let it fix or let it fix both files?

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-05-14 13:04   
NPE is trash.

GCQL doesn't create any text files on the desktop either, and nor does it contain any Virus. It's built from scratch every day in beta, so we'd notice any issues.

Plus if it was infected, the more reputable AV's would have picked it up, which they haven't, because it's not.

NPE searches for any string of bytes that may even remotely be the same in any sort of virus. Just because a string of bytes is the same, doesn't make it a Virus. It's called being over zealous.

As for the text file on the desktop - GCQL only references files where it is installed and doesn't touch anything to do with the desktop. It's probably NPE doing it.

I have emailed Symantec twice on the issue and have never received a response.

Basically, stay away from NPE. Use MSE or one of the other much better free AV's on the market.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2013-05-14 13:06 ]

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-14 13:22   
For a while I was getting an empty notepad document on my desktop also. I have DS installed on a partition seperate from my OS. I noticed that some files were installed on the OS side of the HD though and when I got rid of them, the notepad stopped showing up...

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-05-14 13:45   
I've also noticed the .txt document being created on the desktop but never thought much of it

Norton is total crap, it thinks every little thing is a virus, is resource heavy and when my family had it years ago it wouldn't allow itself to be uninstalled and would block other antivirus programs.

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-14 14:29   
i also have the file...but yeah norton sucks if you wanna pay for one i suggest Kapersky(spelling?) i used to use it but i switch to a free one

Null Pointer
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-05-14 18:35   
Same here, that annoying GCQL.log file...

[ This Message was edited by: Boolean Argument on 2013-05-14 18:38 ]

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-05-14 20:23   
Oh huh, I have it too.

I'm running Avast.

Edit: I just opened the file and mine's not empty, but has a few lines that look like a server log of some sort.

10/12/12 20:50:49 | ERRO | Socket | Failed to lookup host address. (mirror-server.palestar.com).
11/15/12 16:53:59 | ERRO | Socket | Failed to lookup host address. (mirror-server.palestar.com).
01/17/13 13:55:06 | ERRO | Socket | Failed to lookup host address. (mirror-server.palestar.com).
02/22/13 10:55:34 | ERRO | Socket | Failed to lookup host address. (mirror-server.palestar.com).
03/30/13 23:08:53 | ERRO | Socket | Failed to lookup host address. (mirror-server.palestar.com).
05/06/13 10:09:59 | ERRO | Socket | Failed to lookup host address. (mirror-server.palestar.com).

[ This Message was edited by: Walrus of Apathy on 2013-05-14 21:23 ]

Email Walrus of Apathy
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-05-14 20:37   
I had that gcql log file for a while but it disappeared on it's own after I got a new HD and reinstalled DS. I figured it was just a dummy file for chat logs.

Flyer
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-15 01:19   
I also have the text file. Seemed to appear after darkspace tried to update but could not find the server.

Email Flyer
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-05-15 06:31   
I've looked into it, and it creates the following log on any errors, etc. It will first try to write this to the installation directory, and if it cannot due to permission issues, Windows itself will put it on the Desktop

new FileReactor( "GCQL.log" );

So those of you with the issue may want to check your runtime permissions .

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-15 12:53   
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 06:31, Pantheon wrote:

I'm running XP as power user.
Do I have to follow this procedure:
  1. Open Properties of the folder.
  2. On Security tab, set my username to full control.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-05-15 15:53   
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 12:53, DiepLuc wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 06:31, Pantheon wrote:

I'm running XP as power user.
Do I have to follow this procedure:
  1. Open Properties of the folder.
  2. On Security tab, set my username to full control.

Using an administrative account does not mean programs are run with those permissions. I can only speak for Windows 7 as I cannot remember much from the XP days, but running the program with administrative rights will most likely solve your issue.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-15 18:18   
i only got that file from sending bug reports, and sending bug reports require a seperate firewall permission. maybe you have set permissions and run as admin for DS exe and possibly gcql exe, but you also need to set that for bug report, next to the seperate firewall permission (it uses different port)

or....

run a speedtest to arizona, if ping over 1 sec, your screwed like me and sending bug reports result in same answer, can turn off bug report permissions
[ This Message was edited by: Pixies & Leprechauns on 2013-05-15 18:19 ]

Page created in 0.190584 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR