Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Decommission platforms
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Decommission platforms
PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-15 14:52   
What about no prestige for building or deconstructing the platform, but you gain prestige for any beneficial actions that the platform does?

For example, if you build weapon platforms, and it damages a bunch of ships, you get bonus prestige.
If you build repair platforms, you get bonus prestige for them fixing friendly ships.
[ This Message was edited by: PsyCrow on 2013-05-15 14:52 ]

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-15 18:13   
i think a big qq point has been the amount of platforms a single sip can produce.

Lets look at realistic non exploiting situations:

1) make deep space resupply platforms

why make 20 platforms in 1 spot when only 3 rep u at same time? ig the goal is to make deep space plats, you need 3

2) make defensive platform against persistent ai tranny

thats 1-3 depending of position of planet

3) make defensive platform ring all around planet

5-10 depending on size of planet

4) make a ridiculous amount of platsforms to farm prestige or to turn rep rate and firepower (weap plat) into your favor despite of the player number odds.

more then 10.

so i guess, making more then 10 platforms is what ppl are anrgy about, that is the reason why there is the need to have an option to get rid of em instead of shooting them or tractoring.

isnt it easier in code to restrict number of platforms built to 10 per 24 hours, 12 hours, 6 hours, whatever we agree on, per player? it eliminates pres farming, and plat spamming for combat situations...well it makes it a little harder, and a little more time consuming.

of course, if reverse building is easier to code, get that one! very usefull for alternative to scrapping buildings in exchange of taking time? just a suggestion

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-15 19:02   
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 14:52, PsyCrow wrote:
What about no prestige for building or deconstructing the platform, but you gain prestige for any beneficial actions that the platform does?

For example, if you build weapon platforms, and it damages a bunch of ships, you get bonus prestige.
If you build repair platforms, you get bonus prestige for them fixing friendly ships.
[ This Message was edited by: PsyCrow on 2013-05-15 14:52 ]

I shall anwser this!

"No."

Because then you have someone build 30 supply plats scattered around planets that ai go to and log off and they get all the pres fronm plats without a lose, or they stay logged in that way off in deep space

PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-15 19:18   
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 19:02, Taelon*RO* wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 14:52, PsyCrow wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: PsyCrow on 2013-05-15 19:20 ]

I shall anwser this!

"No."

Because then you have someone build 30 supply plats scattered around planets that ai go to and log off and they get all the pres fronm plats without a lose, or they stay logged in that way off in deep space

I already considered that, I just thought you would have opened up a bit and seen the solution: It only applies to platforms within a radius around you, so you stop gaining prestige if you leave the area.

Alternatively, only certain number of platforms could be claimed by you for prestige purposes.

Instead of straight up shooting down ideas with a flat "No." like jack loves to do, consider ways to bypass the issue you find with the suggestion.

There's lots of ways these exploits could be dealt with, but it takes discussion.

It's more constructive to give an alternative rather than a no.

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-15 20:52   
that would be kinda hard to script in i would think but i am not a programmer so

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-15 23:05   
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 20:52, Taelon*RO* wrote:
that would be kinda hard to script in i would think but i am not a programmer so

limiting the number of plats "linked" to you isnt overly hard. just set it for say 5

Email *FTL*Soulless
Flyer
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-16 03:43   
The prestige gained by platform actions seems a nice thing to have, however it will cause problems because everybody will want to have a few platform that gain prestige for them. So people will start scrapping platforms of other players to put in their own.

I'm more in favor of the following. If you build a platform and the limit is met the least used platform is scrapped automatically. (least repairs / combat damage / ships in eccm field in the last hour). Only platforms older then 1 hour can be scrapped this way.
You will get prestige for building the platform after it has existed for an hour and it did at least so many repairs / damage / lit up ships whit eccm or is destroyed by enemy fire before the first hour is over.

This will however be a bit harder to code.

Email Flyer
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2013-05-16 05:45   
prestige is gained for what you have done. building a platform gives pres, having that platform do something doesnt. so you get no prestige from your plats.

put another way, player "effort/time+energy investment" is rewarded by prestige. you're putting time in building that platform, and being careful not to let it or yourself be destroyed.

once the plat is finished, you log off and have sweet dreams and cake and pie etc, while the platform does it's job and rakes in prestige.

if the next day your platform is still floating in space, you would be called lucky or clever, but not dedicated, skillful or hard-working.

the platform is not your dead horse, dont beat it for not getting prestige out of it.

PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-16 07:18   
Flyer has the right idea, Mike, you assume the worst.

On the matter of how hard something is to code, if it's even worth the effort, that's not up to us, but we can at least throw some ideas out there which may lead to even better ideas.
[ This Message was edited by: PsyCrow on 2013-05-16 07:22 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.017345 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR