Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Ship alignment lines in navigation
 Author Ship alignment lines in navigation
PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-09 03:04   
Can we have something like this in navigation?

When the view is cluttered, as it is in this picture, it's easy to get disoriented.
The blue (or whatever) colored lines would point in the direction your ship is facing, which offers some much needed visual feedback.

I find it easy to get disoriented, especially in the heat of battle, so this would be a welcome option in my opinion.
I can't speak for everyone, though. Some like it to be unintuitive and confusing as part of the 'skill' required to be a good navigator.

EDIT: Did I ever mention that the coordinate system is confusing as hell? There's no "compass" so it's hard to tell which number relates to which direction.
[ This Message was edited by: PsyCrow on 2013-05-09 03:10 ]

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-09 07:07   
not an overly bad idea, Just i have the feeling that it will be on a very low priority list if at all

And as for the coordinate system. The problem stems from the face that there is no grid, no bearings, and finding something becomes even more difficult because of people having their map orientated

help that out by doing something like this, but it would also keep some degree of skill needed to find the spot

[ This Message was edited by: Soulless *CO* on 2013-05-09 07:07 ]

Email *FTL*Soulless
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-05-09 10:11   
You can turn on grid view fyi. People should really take a look at the toggles in the bottom left .

Honestly, I don't think people need any indication on which way they're heading in Navigation. We cannot hold your hand in every forseable fassion, and I believe this is one of those ways.

Any minuté amount of spacial awareness is enough to know which way you're heading.

PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-09 10:41   
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 10:11, Pantheon wrote:
You can turn on grid view fyi. People should really take a look at the toggles in the bottom left .

Honestly, I don't think people need any indication on which way they're heading in Navigation. We cannot hold your hand in every forseable fassion, and I believe this is one of those ways.

Any minut� amount of spacial awareness is enough to know which way you're heading.

The only thing grid view does is show a territorial heat map, maybe my computer isn't displaying it properly?

Navigation mode leaves you blind and deaf to your surroundings and ship status as it is, so the more navigation related information you have, the better.
Ship heading lines seems like a feature that should have been there when the game was first made.

Either way, I'm K'Luth, so I can take my time navigating, or just e-jump a dread out with very very little fear of death.
This is just a small gesture of mercy towards the ICC and UGTO who have no such luxury
[ This Message was edited by: PsyCrow on 2013-05-09 10:44 ]

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-05-10 18:48   
For ICC and UGTO it means we have to be aware of our surroundings at all times if we want to make our escapes. It's hardly a mercy to eliminate or reduce the grid. If we are plotting an escape we just need to know the general layout of the system and the positions of the planets relative to our own ships. It's not that hard to do.

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-13 00:32   
I'm not seeing this grid everyone is talking about. I see clouds of red and green.
Screen shot please?

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-05-13 05:04   
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 00:32, PsyCrow wrote:
I'm not seeing this grid everyone is talking about. I see clouds of red and green.
Screen shot please?

That's the grid I'm on about.

You don't need any of what you're requesting, and it's at the very, very bottom of the pile if we wanted to do it.

Page created in 0.010460 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR