No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +6.2 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » 1.7 Layouts: Where we are
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
 Author 1.7 Layouts: Where we are
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2013-08-16 05:58   
ICC tier 2 Line dread has roles that are highly complement each other, making it strictly better than the rest of its peer dreads over a large range of fighting distances (400 gu - 1500 gu). its energy is excellent and regenerates very well.

it is effective both in 1 vs 1 and many vs many scenarios, and only gets better with other line dreads.

it might be better to replace this cannon/missile dread with the legendary ICC torpedo/missile dreadnought, whose roles will be much less compatible, whose energy will actually be at stake and will not have such excellent array of broadside cannons

_Sajuuk_
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-16 13:21   
joy! finally a carrier that can atleast defend itself

the ICC Strike Carrier is awesome!

(atleast it can defend itself from dying at the hands of someone with something smaller then a Cruiser)

and finally something to replace the unused Fighters (the 1s that shoot guns) now instead of Interceptors for attacking ships. we get fighters that finally shoot Torpedos!!! woo!

(and Interceptors have a more dedicated role. the role they were ment for)

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-16 15:10   
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 05:58, Trader of Destiny wrote:
ICC tier 2 Line dread has roles that are highly complement each other, making it strictly better than the rest of its peer dreads over a large range of fighting distances (400 gu - 1500 gu). its energy is excellent and regenerates very well.

it is effective both in 1 vs 1 and many vs many scenarios, and only gets better with other line dreads.

it might be better to replace this cannon/missile dread with the legendary ICC torpedo/missile dreadnought, whose roles will be much less compatible, whose energy will actually be at stake and will not have such excellent array of broadside cannons

Historically speaking, the Torp MD was a Missile Dread with all of its missiles replaced with torpedoes. You never saw the two mixed on a single ship. The Line Dreadnought is actually more true to the original layout of the Combat Dread, which mixed railguns and missiles.

That said, the Line Dread has fewer points in guns than the Combat, and fewer points in missiles than the MD. With a smaller missile salvo--8 to the MD's 10--it is also more susceptible to point-defense. A standard dreadnought has 2 full PD beams and two Fore/Broadside beams. Against an MD, that would take out 4 of its 10 missiles, leaving 6 to hit. Against the Line Dread it cuts the missile salvo in half, meaning only 4 get through.

The Line Dread is also fragile for a Dread and vulnerable at short range; an Assault dread would make short work of it.

We can't just get rid of a ship because its roles work too well together; the whole point of Tier 2 ships is for their different roles to complement each other and give them more tactical options than a Tier 1 ship would have.

Besides, you haven't seen the K'Luth and UGTO Tier 2 Dreadnoughts yet. K'Luth get a Cannon/Missile ship of their own in the Ganglia, while the UGTO are getting a Missile/Carrier dread which should help them level the playing field in long-range fights.
[ This Message was edited by: Jim Starluck on 2013-08-16 15:11 ]

Email Jim Starluck
Terra Nova
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-16 18:16   
well has the idea of "Guided Mines" ever come up?

you guys could develop mines to fly at enemy ships when they within 250 gu. would improve mines and they would be atleast decently effective and the current "mines explode after being dropped and dmg anything nearby" idea is kinda risky due to ppl would die from their own weapons and that is hated

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-16 18:41   
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 18:16, Terra Nova wrote:

you guys could develop mines to fly at enemy ships when they within 250 gu. would improve mines and they would be atleast decently effective and the current "mines explode after being dropped and dmg anything nearby" idea is kinda risky due to ppl would die from their own weapons and that is hated

This has already been implemented, at least partially, I know the K'Luth have it at the moment but not sure if it has carried over to the ICC and UGTO, last I checked it hasn't.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-08-16 18:42 ]

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-16 20:50   
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 18:41, Fluttershy wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 18:16, Terra Nova wrote:

This has already been implemented, at least partially, I know the K'Luth have it at the moment but not sure if it has carried over to the ICC and UGTO, last I checked it hasn't.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-08-16 18:42 ]

ICC and UGTO mines finally got updated with the same behavior last night.

Email Jim Starluck
Terra Nova
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-16 20:56   
so now each factions mines will fly at enemy ships? cool. makes them a little more effective then them just explodeing after being dropped

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-17 01:35   
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 20:56, Terra Nova wrote:
so now each factions mines will fly at enemy ships? cool. makes them a little more effective then them just explodeing after being dropped

If you have a target when you drop them, they home in on that target. If you don't have a target, they sit there in space until something comes along, then they lock onto that. If they had a target and lose it, they'll pick a new one. If no targets remain, they'll stop moving and sit there waiting for something to come along.

Mines across the board last for 15 minutes and move at a speed 5 gu/sec less than the normal maximum for the launching ship.

Email Jim Starluck
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-08-17 06:07   
Tractor beam should be tri-arc to work normally.
Moving at fast speed and turn circle, the tractor will shut down when the platform does not update its location when it is on the other side of the ship.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-17 16:35   
I've just committed the UGTO Battle Station with its new layout. At the same time I also made a few tweaks to the ICC Support Station I put in last weekend:
  • Increased mass from 72 up to 80 to bring it in line with other Stations
  • Added the Pulse Shield I forgot the first time
  • Added a set of Heavy Chemical Lasers for close-in defense, especially against enemies that park on top of it

The Battle Station also gets an identical set of Heavy Lasers; this is now going to be a standard defensive armament on all Stations.

Email Jim Starluck
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2013-08-18 03:19   
really liking the new battlestation layout

combination of core cannons and missiles, giving heavy firepower at close and long ranges, very heavy at medium range

armor is stronger than ever before, providing excellent defense against beams and cannons yet susceptible to missiles and torpedoes en masse

very, very effective against the average dreadnought at all but extreme ranges. weak against missile ships (only 5 defense beams per arc) and maybe torpedo fighter swarms.

its destructive power shames the nautilus, and in favourable situations it would be equal to the node (bar wormhole drive and death beam)

[ This Message was edited by: Trader of Destiny on 2013-08-18 07:44 ]

_Sajuuk_
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-18 04:39   
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 03:19, Trader of Destiny wrote:

combination of core cannons and missiles, giving heavy firepower and close and long ranges, very heavy at medium range

armor is stronger than ever before, providing excellent defense against beams and cannons yet susceptible to missiles and torpedoes en masse

very, very effective against the average dreadnought at all but extreme ranges. weak against missile ships (only 5 defense beams per arc) and maybe torpedo fighter swarms.

its destructive power shames the nautilus, and in favourable situations it would be equal to the node (bar wormhole drive and death beam)

ya no kidding about the Battle Station!!!! took out a longhead with 3 - 4 salvos from the Trebuchet missiles and if the node i was shooting at hadent PJ me i would have taken it out quick

downside : huge energy drain
(ran out of energy after about 4 - 5 salvos of missiles alone)

it could most likely be 1 of the few ships EVER to be able to take on a FLEET of enemy ships
[ This Message was edited by: -Orion- on 2013-08-18 04:41 ]

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-18 09:11   
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 04:39, -Orion- wrote:
Quote:

combination of core cannons and missiles, giving heavy firepower and close and long ranges, very heavy at medium range

ya no kidding about the Battle Station!!!! took out a longhead with 3 - 4 salvos from the Trebuchet missiles and if the node i was shooting at hadent PJ me i would have taken it out quick

it could most likely be 1 of the few ships EVER to be able to take on a FLEET of enemy ships

That is precisely what they were intended for. Stations are built to defend a planet from a large fleet of Dreadnoughts.

Notice, however, that the Battle Station lacks any kind of EWar capability. And while its missiles and positron cannons are formidable, a Torpedo dreadnought should be able to park inside missile minimum range while staying outside beam range, and hammer away at it. The positron cannons will still chew it up pretty fierce, but it would be the biggest threat possible.

And yes, swarms of smaller missileboats would be very dangerous to a Station.

Email Jim Starluck
Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-08-18 09:40   
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 09:11, Jim Starluck wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 04:39, -Orion- wrote:
Quote:

That is precisely what they were intended for. Stations are built to defend a planet from a large fleet of Dreadnoughts.

Notice, however, that the Battle Station lacks any kind of EWar capability. And while its missiles and positron cannons are formidable, a Torpedo dreadnought should be able to park inside missile minimum range while staying outside beam range, and hammer away at it. The positron cannons will still chew it up pretty fierce, but it would be the biggest threat possible.

And yes, swarms of smaller missileboats would be very dangerous to a Station.

Missile frigates!!!!! Also, I am liking the BS layout for the UGTO. A mix of beams, cannons and missiles all make for an excellent mix of attacks.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-08-18 10:07   
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 09:11, Jim Starluck wrote:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024867 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR