No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Planet building classes
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Planet building classes
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-03-06 16:28   
So I'm really sick of seeing people build planets into steaming piles of fertilizer and I figure someone should actually do something instead of just bitching about it, so if there's enough interest I'll be making myself available this weekend to show people how to build various types of planets that don't utterly suck, including SY, Mining, Barracks, Defense, and various combinations of types.

If there's enough of a turnout of people who actually want to learn I may turn this into a monthly thing.

I had originally thought to do this in scenerio because that's mostly where building a good planet matters since they all have to be done from scratch but decided to use beta, provided it's up, because of the difficulty of getting everyone who wants to learn on the same team. If beta is not available I'll move the location to Lacerta, as UGTO. If you're in an ICC or Kluth fleet just use an alt account to attend.

Post here if you're interested and we'll figure out a good day/time to set this up. I will be unavailable saturday evening though because of a RL commitment.

Ignorance
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-06 17:23   
This sounds like a good way to teach the new players or those who want to re-learn how to build good and efficient planets. I vote +1.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-03-06 18:18   
If I'm around I might jump in and see how you personally do things. Might learn a thing or two.

Valiant Wolf
Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-06 18:34   
Just got my platinum engineer, but I might come along to see if I've been doing things right for the past couple of years on scenario =L

Email Valiant Wolf
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-03-06 22:18   
Quote:

On 2013-03-06 18:18, Brutality wrote:
If I'm around I might jump in and see how you personally do things. Might learn a thing or two.

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind if other experienced builders came along to help out a bit. We might even be able to do this in scen afterall if that's the case.

[ This Message was edited by: Talien on 2013-03-06 22:18 ]

Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-07 09:14   
Would you be willing to give a shortened version of the class here in the forums or the Darkspace Wiki?

Even something simple as what the buildings do and why you want them... and how many.

I know I have been reluctant to rebuild capped planets because, basically, I don't know how anymore. Factories give production... what is production? I recall factories making ship parts that I had to buy at the Starport.

What is the fascination with putting a shipyard on every single planet?

There are three defense bases, that do differing amounts of ship damage and PD. What does planet PD do, since it doesn't shoot down any bombs, fighters, or transport pods?

When I do want to, and when do I NOT want to, build shield gens or starports... things that used to be 100% universals.

Is there any way to harden a planet against capture, or are they all 1 bomber cruiser and 2 minutes away from being capped?

Email Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Valiant Wolf
Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-07 12:15   
Quote:

On 2013-03-07 09:14, Chopped Liver wrote:
Would you be willing to give a shortened version of the class here in the forums or the Darkspace Wiki?

If I can attend (which I'll try to) I'd be happy to take notes down and make a condensed version of the info on the wiki for everyone.

Oh, and I know what you mean about everyone trying to build SYs on every single planet; if it's not that, it's people using solar generators in non-binary systems or building planets with habitat and food scores that are 50 apart...

Email Valiant Wolf
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-03-07 15:11   
Solars can be worth using in non binary systems if it's a low tech planet that doesn't use much power, like mining or barracks, but for anything else yeah they're not the best choice.

I guess I could put some basic stuff up on the wiki but I have my doubts as to whether most people actually use it, let alone think about it. If I post stuff on the forums it'd eventually get buried so I opted to do a hands on approach so people can actually see what's being done in real time, be able to ask questions, and get some practice in.

There's other things I hope to get into as well that aren't very easily explainable on a forum or wiki, like multiple people working on the same planet with one designated as the "chief engineer" and the others using their drones to speed up building the structure the leader starts. Things like that can get confusing trying to explain in text but are perfectly clear when you see it being done.

Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-07 15:41   
Chief Engineer uses text or voice to give location and name of next building, then places the building...

Apprentice Engineers select same building in construction, then manually leftclick their drones, adding them to the build process, thus speeding up construction time?

Email Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-03-07 23:01   
Basically yeah. But it's easier to hotkey your build drones, that way you just hit one key and they all activate instead of having to click each one. Yes you can hotkey drones, It's not just for weapons.

The main thing is getting someone who knows what they're doing to be in charge, there's lots of people who'd want to do it just because they think being in charge is fun but would end up making a garbage dump of a planet. The other thing is getting people who will listen and only build what the leader has started instead of deciding partway through that they'd rather build something else.

There's also making good use of AI Engineers in a similar way. If you just lock an empty planet to keep AI from filling it with random junk they'll just sit there for a few minutes and eventually go away, but if you place a bunch of structures by starting a build then deactivating your drones and starting another one, etc. the AI will stay there until it finishes every structure you started without being able to build it's own random junk in any empty slots.

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-03-09 11:36   
I'll have to come and see if you know what you're talking about Talien

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-03-09 22:36   
5 people should be a good start, even better that some know what they're doing already.

I'm free pretty much all day tomorrow so just post what times are good and we'll see how this goes. If it's too short notice we could always move it to next weekend and maybe pick up a few more people too.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-03-13 23:11   
Since nobody's replied on times I'll just go with what's good for me. This Sunday at 6 PM EST in beta, provided it's up, in the Wolf359 system. If beta isn't up it'll be in Lacerta in the Sol system, if enough people show up and want to move to scenario we can relocate there.

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2013-03-14 01:03   
@Talien, I will add it to my calander and make a strong effort to be there to help out. I can also make a video to update my construction videos as they are pretty basic.

As a side not to those who cannot make it and DO NOT know how to build. Nothing is stopping you from going into the MV to a home system and look at how a planet is properly setup.

If you need examples if you are not sure which are properly setup then all you need to do is ask. You should be able to tell which planets get ShipYards, Heavy Defenses, Heavy Mining, etc.... just by looking at how others are setup.

But I am in full support of a tutorial for those of you who can make it. I will see about adding it to the events list and making Broadcasts about it as the time approaches.

So I really hope you will be there Talien.

Email Challenger
Steveyk
Chief Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2013-03-14 13:22   
Thats 10pm bst?? i might pop along if thats ok?

Email Steveyk
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026327 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR