Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » A nifty idea to breath life into the 'cooldown' enhancements.
 Author A nifty idea to breath life into the 'cooldown' enhancements.
Rykros1987
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-02-07 12:25   
Ok so it occured to me...what if there was a weapon that actually benefit'd from cool down enhancements?

At the moment all cooldown does is make it to where you gain a slight amount of time for charging when firing things like particle cannons.(you gain maybe 1 second or 2.)

It really doesn't help more then say weapon efficiency does. Nor weapon damage. So as far as I've ever heard it seems to not really do much of anything at all and gets ignored.

Heres my idea:

New weapons that follow these guidelines:

1.When fired the weapons do less damage per shot then things like the particle cannon but do more shots over time. The dps should be timed to be about even with the cannon it can replace.(it'd be a replacement for things like the particle cannon being swapped out at planets)

2.These guns would fire over an extended period of time like say....5 or 10 seconds.

3.it would be a constant rain of fire until the number of projectiles it fires is completely expended at the enemy. Then the guns would recharge.

4. the cooldown enh augment the weapons by decreasing the time spent firing causing more projectiles to be fired per second.

So for instance uh lets say the....Rapid Fire Particle Cannon(standard).

Fires 25 shots for standard 50 for heavy. Both weapons shots do the same damage but the damage of the guns varies based off hull level and the fact that both types have different number of shots per barrage fired.

In this case the guns would do roughly 66% of their particle cannon variants due to the spread of damage over number of shots and time spent firing and would be based off of a 5 second firing cycle with a 4 cooldown ticks delay per shot.

To compensate for extra time firing meaning more dps consistency the guns would have a little longer recharging time. About say 2-4 seconds longer.

The enhancements woudl raise number of shots per second from 5 to 7.5 or somewhere a little slightly less then 7.5.

It would make a ship that chooses these kind of weapons see a more awesome feeling weapon have more effect almost identically to a particle cannon and would give a real purpose to weapon cooldown enhancements.

That would be the particle cannon. Heavies would still match their normal dps dealing counterparts but instead of with increased damage instead dealing out 10-15 shots per second depending on how much cool down you have.

So what do people think of it? D: Rapid fire with same as the other weapon choice's dps ftw? O.o

[ This Message was edited by: rykros1987 on 2013-02-07 12:30 ]

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-02-07 13:11   
Every projectile fired is another thing the server has to track, so cannons firing 50 projectiles per shot are a big no-no.

Email Walrus of Apathy
-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2013-02-07 14:50   
Really, a 8-16 core server cant handle some pew pew?

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-02-07 18:25   
Quote:

On 2013-02-07 14:50, -DBS wrote:
Really, a 8-16 core server cant handle some pew pew?

think of what would happen if everyone used weapons like this. I bet all dread pilots would so they could hit the smaller ships, and that is a lot of math to do.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2013-02-07 19:38   
Just as an FYI, the enhancements that increase weapon recharge rates improve your damage over time significantly more than damage enhancement enhancements do, at the cost of increased energy usage.

The enhancements that explicitly say "reduce cooldown by x%" aren't very useful, though, although they group your shots more tightly since they reduce the time between shots in a volley.

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2013-02-08 04:58   
i think its a crime that there isn't an enh to reduce cooldown time on things like jumpdrives and ecm/eccm type gadgets........perhaps instead of a deribility number it would have a set number of total charges (say 25 for example) before you'd have to replace it.......and it wouldn't be offered as a drop it would only be availible for purchase........meaning that there would be more of a use for buying creds......

PEACE !!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Rykros1987
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-02-08 20:25   
Quote:

On 2013-02-08 04:58, Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)®© wrote:
i think its a crime that there isn't an enh to reduce cooldown time on things like jumpdrives and ecm/eccm type gadgets........perhaps instead of a deribility number it would have a set number of total charges (say 25 for example) before you'd have to replace it.......and it wouldn't be offered as a drop it would only be availible for purchase........meaning that there would be more of a use for buying creds......

PEACE !!!!!!!!!!

I could've sworn there are ecm/eccm efficiency enh...if they work like weaponry efficiency it probably speeds that up. Seeing as the strength of the ecm/eccm is enhanced by strength boosting enhancements.

Also faster jd recharge? I don't think so...why I mean kluthies wouldn't benefit(how I love cloaking and charging jd after warping near an enemy planet while approaching) as well as losing their chance to quickly kill a not-so-bright dread pilot that warped right in a nest of them. He should PAY for being so wreckless not just warp out in half the time saving himself...ha!

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2013-02-08 20:35   
Quote:

On 2013-02-08 20:25, rykros1987 wrote:
Quote:

SNIP

I could've sworn there are ecm/eccm efficiency enh...if they work like weaponry efficiency it probably speeds that up. Seeing as the strength of the ecm/eccm is enhanced by strength boosting enhancements.

Also faster jd recharge? I don't think so...why I mean kluthies wouldn't benefit(how I love cloaking and charging jd after warping near an enemy planet while approaching) as well as losing their chance to quickly kill a not-so-bright dread pilot that warped right in a nest of them. He should PAY for being so wreckless not just warp out in half the time saving himself...ha!

There isnt. There is Range, Strength, and energy Use.

I personaly would like something like that. But keep the limitations imposed like mack said. Because when it comes down to it would you rather have A) more money going to the game because some people wanna jump out faster and have to replace them soon, Or B) sam amout of money we have coming in now

Email *FTL*Soulless
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-02-08 21:00   
Quote:

On 2013-02-08 20:25, rykros1987 wrote:
Quote:

PEACE !!!!!!!!!!

It benefits all factions, Kluth included. Imagine a Siphon equipped with 8 JD speed-ups used as a tracker-killer ship, hunting down wounded ships with impunity.

The resultant QQ would be interesting.

Page created in 0.030886 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR