Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Oh so random it hurts.. (AI)
 Author Oh so random it hurts.. (AI)
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2013-02-02 16:10   
Im hoping to offer a helpful suggestion here on the topic of AI. To make matters clear, I do like their presance. Although IMO I thiink that they are likely best relagated to the their respective factions "Home sectors".

In addition, I would like to further expand on this idea with the "command" and "distress" notification systems. I have noticed that when in different servers that chat systems do not carry the whole of the metaverse. I think this is something that can help add to the "fog of war". I would add to this a "sector command" and/or "region command" / HQ. So for example, I've just started out playing DS and log in, Sector command recognizes that I'm not in a Fleet and should stay aound the home sectors and full fill the basic roles.. like fighting pirates, repairing a building here in there.. etc.., then as soon as a person say hits Captian (and if they are still fleetless), an automated window pops up (much like a group accept request) and asks them what sector or force group (assult or home defense) they would like to be assigned to by the faction HQ.

So now that this person has played a week, they are probably ready to move out of the home systems and they have chosen to join the (insert faction here) Exp Assult Force Fleet (unfleeted players). They will then receive commands and distress calls from everywhere but the home systems. hopefully furthering their exploration beyond the home sectors. (at this point I'd would almost opt to give them a basic start up combat destoryer as a Bonus for hitting captain.. like for ex. ICC you get a combat dessy, and have it come loaded with level 2% upgrades.)

As the player evolves, Being in with a Fleet, and amongst a group of like minded players. These players could develop their own Fleet's home world. control of this world would be augmented by the fleet tribute to their faction a kind of monthly "Rent" for use of new special buildings like their own Fleet command base, subspace chat relay base, or more building options etc..

As the size of the Fleets grow their Navy's need more than just a supply plat here in there, they need a Deep Space fleet command base (think super station) To be built and maintained by the fleet's tribute to its faction. Since this can be something that could be destroyed its secret and strategic location could only be seen on that factions map by Fleet members Only. The main purpose of this base is to store upgrades, house troops, a depot for resources to refill deep range platts, and provide a bastion when in dire times.

Please feel free to expand on these ideas. I'm trying not to make anything too specific for one faction over another.

Thank you for reading this short novel and sorry for the typos errors and poor thought structure.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-02-02 22:03   
Seems like a rough idea that could work as the mission system that players would like to see implemented. No clue what the developers stance on the subject is though.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2013-02-03 05:27   
i like my ai wherever they are available, in the home system and in sag.

the ai were the determining factor for the ugto to be able to capture planets after losing them yesterday.

removing all ai from sag is not the best way to deal with any ai problem. reduce numbers, reduce quality, but let them fight for the players who have lost all hope.

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2013-02-03 17:37   
Quote:

On 2013-02-03 05:27, Mike Paradox wrote:
i like my ai wherever they are available, in the home system and in sag.

the ai were the determining factor for the ugto to be able to capture planets after losing them yesterday.

removing all ai from sag is not the best way to deal with any ai problem. reduce numbers, reduce quality, but let them fight for the players who have lost all hope.

During the vast majority of my time here, I can soundly say I've been a solid ICC player, through the good the bad and the ugly. I sincerely suggest withholding 90% or more AI numbers from everything but the "home systems". I've seen AI come to the rescue, and I've seen them double the well staffed teams making the setting go from bad to worse.

I sincerely do not suggest removing the AI on the heals of any 1 factions victory over an other. As previously stated above, I think they are great to have, but with the heavy amount of FA, GA, M, and GM players that currently play there is no room for new players to fullfill support roles in these dread and station hvy groups while advancing the boarders or defending outside the home systems. Granted I have only been playing this recent incarnation of DS for 2 ish months, but I've only seen a few players use supply ships in support of fleet operations. When that Job used to be fought over..

I think our focus should be on player development. If this is not the focus, and if this is something for AI to encompas, then why even allow access to anything but combat ships for real players.. whats the point?

And again, I can see where you are coming from in stating that they do make a difference when a faction is low on players (due to the ebb and flow of the large fleets, very old problem) and I can see that there could be a role in defending the boarders of the Factions. But I resoundly do not encourage the advancement approaches that the AI have been performing.
[ This Message was edited by: Charz on 2013-02-03 17:41 ]

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2013-02-03 17:45   
i think charz has hit it out of the park, all good ideas but may have trouble with implementing, thinking of all the coding and programming to do to make these things possible would be a giant task...............

but overall excellent ideas..........for the future of DS.................

PEACE...............

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-02-03 18:11   
Quote:

On 2013-02-03 17:37, Charz wrote:
I've only seen a few players use supply ships in support of fleet operations. When that Job used to be fought over..

A lot of it has to do with people wanting to do combat because that's where the most pres is. Same deal with building, you get pres faster by fighting and it's been like that for a very long time and doesn't seem likely to change.

There's also that Supply/Engineer ships are pitifully weak and most people don't like dying the second something bigger so much as looks at them funny, so they don't bother with supply or construction while combat is going on.

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2013-02-03 20:45   
Quote:

On 2013-02-03 18:11, Talien wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-02-03 17:37, Charz wrote:
I've only seen a few players use supply ships in support of fleet operations. When that Job used to be fought over..

A lot of it has to do with people wanting to do combat because that's where the most pres is. Same deal with building, you get pres faster by fighting and it's been like that for a very long time and doesn't seem likely to change.

There's also that Supply/Engineer ships are pitifully weak and most people don't like dying the second something bigger so much as looks at them funny, so they don't bother with supply or construction while combat is going on.

I agree, maybe the range and depth of the current ships (supply & engi) can be expanded upon to fullfill "frontier" dangers.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2013-02-04 03:41   
even if AI can provide critical supply services and basic engineering, they would still not be even half as useful as a player in a supply/engineer ship.

AI ships can get distracted, stray away from their fleet, be divided and defeated reliably, and in general are less capable than players.

not to mention, they cant build platforms, advanced structures, scout, bomb or perform ranged combat. you need a player to do all that.

i feel that its not as much about what the AI do or how many of them do it, its more about a) how to enable the player to do well, and b) how to help a new player realise that they can do well.

Page created in 0.021976 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR