Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Server Costs Meter & Expanding on this idea.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Server Costs Meter & Expanding on this idea.
Hyperforce
Grand Admiral
K'Luth Revolution

Posted: 2013-01-29 19:35   
its the consistant lag spikes that bother me i dont mind a lil lag srsly as u said it aint perfect and its exactly that meaning room for improvement...and things like downloading updates and such not sure if u use same box for this but i doubt it but i get pretty terrible download speeds and yes i understand this is because when it updates everyone downloads simultaniously but we are only few in numbers so how would this server ever of hoped to support a huge community had darkspace not dwindled down to the current small community...so what kind of server would u had been looking to invest in had this been the case im talking 200in MV at once fighting would this not induce massive lag spikes upon large groups entering new sub-servers? im just trying to make a point that what u currently use isnt the best therefor why could we not donate for such things i feel like a brokendown record but/...this is something that I'd Invest heavily into maybe even a spontanious larger donation if i knew it was going on something i know would benefit myself and everyone else equally...

Goto the website of Hyperforce
Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-29 19:55   
This is something Faustus needs to get in on for sure.

Email Challenger
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-29 20:23   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 19:28, Challenger wrote:
death penalty = loss of prestige when you die?

If so that is how it has always been, even when you first signed on so you knew what you were getting into. The lag deaths have gotten a lot less then in the past and well since nothing in this world is perfect nor any online game lag free 100% of the time I do not see what the issue is.

Some people just die more often than others for whatever reason. It wasn't an issue before pres loss was increased from the almost nonexistant amount it was in 1.5x, back then we had people doing things like SDing Stations ontop of platform clusters to destroy them and making more pres than they lost to boot.

Actually it's still not a problem per se, only to people who just can't seem to avoid being blown up.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-01-29 20:39   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 19:35, Hyperforce[MBS] wrote:
its the consistant lag spikes that bother me i dont mind a lil lag srsly as u said it aint perfect and its exactly that meaning room for improvement...and things like downloading updates and such not sure if u use same box for this but i doubt it but i get pretty terrible download speeds and yes i understand this is because when it updates everyone downloads simultaniously but we are only few in numbers so how would this server ever of hoped to support a huge community had darkspace not dwindled down to the current small community...so what kind of server would u had been looking to invest in had this been the case im talking 200in MV at once fighting would this not induce massive lag spikes upon large groups entering new sub-servers? im just trying to make a point that what u currently use isnt the best therefor why could we not donate for such things i feel like a brokendown record but/...this is something that I'd Invest heavily into maybe even a spontanious larger donation if i knew it was going on something i know would benefit myself and everyone else equally...

It is the same box, but we have ridiculous levels of bandwidth and some seriously phat pipes (Level 3, Savvis, Global Crossing, Tinet, Abovenet and Limelight CDN) - and the game server barely uses any bandwidth. If you're getting terrible download speeds, I'd take a look at your ISP or firewall.

We're running some pretty hefty hardware at the moment:
dual Intel Xeon Gulftown E5645
12x 2.4Ghz cores, 24x HT cores
2x 12MB L3 Cache
RAID 10 disk configuration
36 GB triple-channel DDR3 ECC registered RAM

The price increase above this would be substantial, and I mean in the order of 3-4x as much as we pay now. We have a pretty good deal which we went with a few months ago that cut our operating costs substantially. Purchasing our own machine would mean we'd have to go back to paying for co-location, our own bandwidth suppliers (expensive), and the rest of it.

This isn't one of those 'one off' purchases. It's a continual increase in operating costs, which means you'd have to continually donate that much if we were to go that route, which is not feasable for us.

Just in-case you're misunderstanding me, I'll itterate this point again. The current server is fine for our needs. The company we use doesn't supply more powerful machines, and this is more than enough for us (including the ridiculous bandwidth hookup). The only reason the server struggles with CPU load is because DarkSpace is just that computationally heavy.

Any network lag you get, at all, is from your own connection. The server doesn't have issues with anything regarding that.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2013-01-29 20:42 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-01-29 22:08   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 19:35, Hyperforce[MBS] wrote:

you no nothing about how bad this game used to lag

Email Borgie
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-01-29 22:20   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 14:57, Fluttershy wrote:
but the lag deaths + death penalty just made me quit.

Play Pacman. You die a lot, but don't lose any prestige.

UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2013-01-30 06:42   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 20:39, Pantheon wrote:

Any network lag you get, at all, is from your own connection. The server doesn't have issues with anything regarding that.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2013-01-29 20:42 ]

And he is right. I havent had ANY lag on my end at all until a Blizzard knocked our power out over a month ago, and our ISP is STILL trying to get their "Latency Outage" resolved because of that. Im getting maybe 1/10th the speed I normally get and I feel it game side, hence why Im not online much atm.

Email UnknownWarrior
SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2013-02-01 21:47   
That server cost meter is great to see.

Is the server cost meter updated almost immediately after funds are received, or is there some delay in it?

Is it refreshed on the 1st of every month, or is it like my home internet/cell plans where it's the 7th of every months or something ridiculous like that?

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2013-02-01 22:50   
1st of every month it is reset. It looks to be updating rather quickly as well. Has not even been 24 hours and we are at 22%

Email Challenger
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-02-02 06:12   
As Challenger mentioned, its reset on the first of every month. It also updates immediately.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-02-03 20:37   
Quote:

On 2013-02-02 06:12, Pantheon wrote:
As Challenger mentioned, its reset on the first of every month. It also updates immediately.

sweet, i noticed that when i subbed the other morning, jumped up 2%

Email Borgie
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.022343 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR