No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +16.8 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Fiction » » ORIGIN OF THE MACHINES
 Author ORIGIN OF THE MACHINES
gocrazyonu
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-01-26 01:27   
ORIGIN OF THE MACHINES

The vessel was huge ,and yet unmanned. Its function was to explore distant solar systems, locate planets rich in resource, extract this resource, use some of it to make copies of itself, and send the rest back to its creators' home world situated not far from the center of the galaxy. It could best be described as a flying mining factory, albeit a very sophisticated one. The race that created it needed these resources for their ever expanding civilization. Although they themselves were not explorers , they recognized the need for these resources as their own expansion had long ago depleted the resources on their own planet. So the engineers had the idea of sending out a single factory ship, that would land on the surface of a planet suitable for their needs, deploy itself, digging for metals first, then it would manufacture a whole array of automatons with these metals, mostly for mining purposes, maintenance and even some to protect itself from possible hostile encounters. In this manner, exploitation of resource mining on a grand scale would be possible within a matter of weeks. In three months time there would be enough materials for the factory to make a copy of itself, the copy would move to another location and restart the whole process. Another three or four months and a transport vessel, unmanned of course, would be produced, automaton loaders would fill the vessel who would then make the journey home. In this manner, these machines were able to exploite these planets on a very large scale in a very short matter of time by simple multiplication. Within a couple of years their were hundreds of these mining vessels all over the galaxy. Originally , their had been some contention ,at first, within the population about letting these machines operate autonomously, the fear was that they would lose control of these machines but after a few years of plentiful returns with no incidents, this fear had quickly dissipated. The artificial intelligences had the ability to learn and expand their own programming , but only within the limitations set by the designers. Although they had a very sohisticated machine intelligence , the programing guidelines were fairly simple : FIND SUITABLE PLANET , LAND ON AND EXPLOIT PLANET , PROTECT YOURSELF FROM HOSTILES, MAKE COPIES OF YOURSELF, EXPAND TO OTHER WORLDS, SEND RESOURCES TO HOME PLANET, DO NOT HARM US, OBEY US.
One such vessel,while in transit between solar sysems, had unknowingly crossed into alien territory and was attacked by a hostile armada. Normally these vessels make quick work of any attacking force that they encounter due to the huge amount of energy their reactors produce. This is possible only because they are unmanned so the designers did not have to contend with making a life support system on these ships or protecting the crew from the ensuing radiation. This time though, they encountered something their programming had not prepared them for, these alien vessels had the ability to cloak themselves!! After a long struggle the mining ship still prevailed but not without considerable damage to some of its key systems, particularly the mainframe. This particular vessel although still functional, now only retained part of its programing which now read like so: FIND PLANET , LAND ON AND EXPLOIT PLANET , PROTECT YOURSELF FROM HOSTILES, MAKE COPIES OF YOURSELF, EXPAND TO OTHER WORLDS. After the attack , the central mainframe also concluded in a microsecond that all biologicals were hostiles. Any planet now was suitable regardless. Having lost part of its memory , it simply headed for the nearest star system in Procyon and deployed iself on the nearest planet. Within a few months the factory was reproducing itself ,and having no more of the controls that the original designers had put in place ,the machines were now learning how to expand more efficiently, evolving in ways that were unexpected, always with that central directive ,EXPAND ,PROTECT YOURSELVES ,MAKE COPIES. Newer and more efficient designs for attack vessels were being produced at an alarming rate. The complete anihilation of any lifeforms within this star system happened in a rapid and systematic fashion. Within a few years a formidable force had taken over that system and sterilized it. Any vessels who now wandered into that region of space rarely ever returned. Although their are rumours of very large spherical vessels with unimaginable power, few have ever lived to tell the tale. In the one hundred and fifty-third year after the first vessel was launched, what was most feared by the populace happened, the machines returned to their homeworld with a large armada and destroyed their civilization. These creators, these designers of incredible skill were completely unprepared and because of this, not one soul had survived . The efficiency of these automatons was terrifying!! And as these machines , these cold steel creatures of metal and plastic start encroaching into new territories , they are gaining awareness of a new race of biologicals . And as they have done before , they are now plotting the complete extermination of this race whom they perceive as hostile. Somewhere in procyon, with unnerrant logic , the seeds of the destruction of humanity now lays in the coded cold awareness of the MACHINE INTELLIGENCE!!!

PokeYourWaffle
Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-26 13:01   
Very interesting story, although perhaps you should split it in to paragraphs to make it easier to read.

Ignorance
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-26 14:01   
And thus, the MI were born. Too bad you never see those big balls of destruction anywhere in saggitarius...

gocrazyonu
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-01-26 14:02   
i did but when i pasted it on it didn't translate, haven't gottin' around to editing . i realize the style is a little crude but after an hour or so (you gotta add another 15 min or so just 4 the cruddy keyboard) i tend to get a little impatient and i wanna wrap it up. the next 1 i will flesh it out a little more (working on it now) and yes it is more about the MI ill give this 1 a couple of days to germinate properly. ty 4 your post

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-26 17:16   
I find it helps when writing fan fic meant for a board to format it how the board would display it (e.g. double lines for new paragraphs and BB code where applicable); it's less of a pain to do it in Word than the browser text box.

[ This Message was edited by: YIIMM on 2013-01-26 17:17 ]

Exodus™
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-26 20:28   
I'm a big fan of science fiction, and thus this story is magnificent! I would totally love for you to make more of these. Nice work!

Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-26 20:32   
Quote:

On 2013-01-26 20:28, Exxodus wrote:
I'm a big fan of science fiction, and thus this story is magnificent!

im not a big fan of wine, so i drink boxed wines from costco

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Two Face
Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-26 20:55   

[ This Message was edited by: Two Face on 2013-01-30 07:54 ]

Ignorance
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-26 21:30   
lol

| Dark Hiigaran |
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-27 06:52   
indeed

Email | Dark Hiigaran |
gocrazyonu
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-01-27 10:02   
so do i except i buy mine at super c(its closer)

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-01-27 21:49   

The Official MI Lore is here:

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=document.php&doc_id=14&chap_id=667&chap_name=3

Support Vessel Hinakata
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-28 13:44   
Please please tell me there's more posts like that link?

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-28 13:49   
You mean a link like this? http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?lang=en&module=document.php&doc_id=14

Email Challenger
Page created in 0.028885 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR